Coaching Favorites

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have gymnasts who need what would look like 'more attention'...some need more frequent, short turns to make small corrections. And some do much better with a 'long' turn because switching focus from main skill to stations to main skill rapidly is REALLY HARD for them.

Fair is everyone gets what they need, not everyone gets the same.

Spend any time hanging around at gym and you will quickly realise that it appears as though some kids just get skills with seemingly little time and attention from the coach. At the same time it can appear as though the coach is giving a lot of time and attention to other kids. Fact is some kids need more time, more attention, more turns and more corrections to get the skill. Not equal does not mean not fair.

I have gymnasts who need what would look like 'more attention'...some need more frequent, short turns to make small corrections. And some do much better with a 'long' turn because switching focus from main skill to stations to main skill rapidly is REALLY HARD for them.

Fair is everyone gets what they need, not everyone gets the same.

Just thought i would add to this, some people are more individual learners and can make corrections very easily from someone simply telling them. Other gymnasts need a more 'hands on' approach and therefore the coach may appear to be spending time with one gymnast more than the others.

But....having said that it does appear that the coach is playing favourites. Favourites are natural but coaches should generally keep favourites to themselves and have it undetectable. Is your daughter finding it annoying? if she mentions it to you without prompting maybe have a polite word with the coach and subtly hint that she wants some more help

I am seeking opinions and advice about what to do about coaching favoritism in the gym. There is one gymnast on my DD's team who the coach favors to no end apparently because of a family relationship. That girl is clearly not as good as some of the others (including my DD by results), but the coach always spends much more time with her than others on the team including my DD. The coach and gym owner always have some excuse, but it never stops. It appears that they are trying to make that girl excel past the others on her team, but it isn't working. How does one effectively broach the subject without alienating the coach, owner and my DD? Any advice would be great. Thanks.

In my opinion, you can't broach this topic without the risk of alienating someone. To ask a coach to treat your daughter exactly the same as he/she treats another gymnast is an unreasonable request for a parent to make. I will echo what others have said~fair and equal are 2 different things. As long as your daughter is being treated fairly, you shouldn't worry. If she scored a 38+ at her 1st meet she must be getting adequate instruction and apparatus time. Sounds like she is off to an outstanding start this season!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back