Commonwealth Games

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Since I'm a recent transplant, I don't know a lot about the gymnasts competing, but I can't wait to see the competition.

Unfortunately, I really don't foresee this competition going well.

It is usually a great meet. ONe of our members will be competing, FlippingLolly, AKA Laura Edwards, will represent England.

Why don't you think the meet will go well?

I was going to ask that. It usually has some great routines going on.

From a friend of mine who lived in Delhi:

Trust me when I tell you that if they manage to pull this thing off in its entirety, it'll be nothing short of a goddamn miracle. It's embarrassing. There aren't enough facilities for the athletes to stay in, so they're tossing students out of the dorms at Delhi University because they're the best option out there.

When I left in July, the main stadium was still being finished, the metro was incomplete, the roads were dug up, and everything was generally a massive cluster****.

I also can't get behind how much money is being spent on useless **** like putting up pretty flowers down the routes that the VIPs will be traveling when that money could go to many other useful things.

Did I mention that Delhi's also had torrential monsoon rains this year and has flooded constantly? Oh, yes.

So in short, color me highly skeptical that the games are going to be a ringing success, though I'm sure those in charge will do their level best to portray it as such. The run up to the games though, has been nothing short of a complete and utter mess.

And some athletes who have gone early to acclimate have come down with Dengue Fever.

Ah, from that perspective. Yes, my hubby said India is a big cultural shock, amongst other things. Hopefully the coaches and team docs are very smart and are plaaning well ahead for dietry and health issues!

It is very complicated when close to thrid world countries host huge events. Beijing certainly made some major mistakes when dealing with the O's.

From a friend of mine who lived in Delhi:

Trust me when I tell you that if they manage to pull this thing off in its entirety, it'll be nothing short of a goddamn miracle. It's embarrassing. There aren't enough facilities for the athletes to stay in, so they're tossing students out of the dorms at Delhi University because they're the best option out there.

When I left in July, the main stadium was still being finished, the metro was incomplete, the roads were dug up, and everything was generally a massive cluster****.

I also can't get behind how much money is being spent on useless **** like putting up pretty flowers down the routes that the VIPs will be traveling when that money could go to many other useful things.

Did I mention that Delhi's also had torrential monsoon rains this year and has flooded constantly? Oh, yes.

So in short, color me highly skeptical that the games are going to be a ringing success, though I'm sure those in charge will do their level best to portray it as such. The run up to the games though, has been nothing short of a complete and utter mess.

And some athletes who have gone early to acclimate have come down with Dengue Fever.

asterisks?

Fondly known as the word filter, it is very odd that it filters out tpically NOrth American "rude" words, but not some from other countries. Quite amusing at times!

It is very sad for the athletes, coaches and all the families involved.

There have been 42 deaths linked to the CWG's now, a terrible loss for all those families.

THanks Stacey, good to know that. Hopefully the decisions will be carefully made. Though it is especially tough for the UK girls as, unlike many other countries, they are only doing the CWG and not worlds as well. It must be quite stressful for them.

I nearly threw up when I saw the state of the village, just no way that children can move in their next week, and we are talking children. THey would be ill within a few days and based on the state of the hostpital I saw in yesterdays repeort I doubt that the quality of care would be good.

The village was built on a flood plain, it flooded (surprise) and now things are very bad.

I have to say if it was my child I would be having serious doubts and some very long chats with the federation.

The event needs to be moved or postponed. I really cannot see India pulling this off, terribly sad.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back