Parents Crazy Moms!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You know as much as we laugh about this and I even told my funny gym mom story, this is my biggest fear with my daughter being in gymnastics. My uncle was the worst and it did some serious damage to my cousin. He was a jr national team gymnast several times, rec'd a full ride scholarship to somewhere in Iowa (this was about 19 years ago) and looked to be headed toward at least the Olympics trials. Well, it turned out that my cousin hated gymnastics and did many things throughout the years to be able to quit and my uncle wouldn't let him. He actually broke his wrist or arm twice and had several other "injuries" but they would never seem to lead to needing to quit. He would get berated by my uncle if he didn't finish first, he wasn't allowed to have a girlfriend or date. He spent every evening after school at the gym and most weekends at meets. He hated it. So, about 6 weeks before we both were supposed to graduate from high school and he would have left for a long summer training somewhere before heading to college, he suddenly dropped out of school and found to be on drugs. He felt that it was his only way out. It was really sad. So, my mom has very harsh instruction to do whatever she has to do to me if I EVER do anything like that to my daughter. So, while we laugh or sigh at those parents, I can't help but think of those kids that can't quit even if they want to.

That is so sad. I hate reading about those kinds of parents. I completely understand wanting your child to be successful and to do his/her best but I cannot fathom putting any sport ahead of my child's safety and happiness.

You know, I have sometimes wondered if I might be one of "those" moms because I do keep a close eye on what's going on with my daughter's gymnastics. But to make sure I'm not getting crazy, I check with my daughter frequently. I tell her to let me know if I'm overstepping and I'm always asking her if she's still happy. She finally got exasperated with me and said "you can stop asking now, Mom!" LOL I, of course, still ask. Often. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back