WAG Crossing one arm on round-off?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a very bad habit of crossing my right arm over when I do round-offs. My right arm tends to cross over my left arm, leaving my round-off to be crooked. When ever I do this, I do not realize it. This happens to be an "on and off" again habit. Sometimes I cross my arm and some days I don't. Any tips would be very helpful!

Front handsprings always come before round offs! If one does not have a front handspring, he can not be expected to do a correct round off. First, make sure you have VERY good front handsprings. Then, do 3 front handsprings (one at a time) and then 1 round off. Repeat over and over. Make sure you reach as long and far as you can before you turn in your round off. Pretend you are doing a front handspring and then at the last minute make it a round off. This will help you go straight. Kick your back leg HARD over your head in a STRAIGHT line.

I speak from experience, one of the most difficult things in gymnastics is to do a perfect round off. Honestly, a correct round off is harder to do than a correct double layout, double front, giant, tchatchev, you name it. How many elites do you see doing perfect round offs? The answer is almost NONE! Round offs are hard, but they are worth working on and making perfect. That perfection will spread to other areas of your gymnastics. Just make sure you are conditioning a LOT and you will be ok. Handstands, core, and leg lifts!

Front handsprings always come before round offs! If one does not have a front handspring, he can not be expected to do a correct round off. First, make sure you have VERY good front handsprings. Then, do 3 front handsprings (one at a time) and then 1 round off. Repeat over and over. Make sure you reach as long and far as you can before you turn in your round off. Pretend you are doing a front handspring and then at the last minute make it a round off. This will help you go straight. Kick your back leg HARD over your head in a STRAIGHT line.

I speak from experience, one of the most difficult things in gymnastics is to do a perfect round off. Honestly, a correct round off is harder to do than a correct double layout, double front, giant, tchatchev, you name it. How many elites do you see doing perfect round offs? The answer is almost NONE! Round offs are hard, but they are worth working on and making perfect. That perfection will spread to other areas of your gymnastics. Just make sure you are conditioning a LOT and you will be ok. Handstands, core, and leg lifts!

things have changed a bit on the "round off" front. they should not be reaching as long and as far as you can. AND pushing off both legs from the floor is most efficient just prior to the kick. pushing off both feet creates strong kick from both legs. kicking your leg HARD at the expense of pushing off both legs creates bad round off's and those that go crooked and pull groins. if you push from both legs, this will cause your hands to come down a bit closer to the body. this is what must take place in order to facilitate turn over from the hands and the ability to get the feet in front of the hips.

and of course, round offs are not more difficult than some of the skills you listed. we have all seen deficient round offs with all of the above mentioned skills. power and strength overpower technique in the final analysis. and this is not to say good technique is not important. :)

Hi thanks for the response. I never said one should not push off of both feet, I simply didn't mention what to do with the second foot. Reaching before turning is to make the skill straight. I'm sure you are not implying that students should start turning for their round off during their hurdle like a cheerleader does. This is why I emphasize this so much, because if not, that is what happens.

Your last paragraph is confusing to me. You kind of summed up my point. Many people have been known to do F, G, and H tumbling skills with sub-par round offs. If round offs were easy, why would an athlete that can do a double layout have a terrible round off? You actually help to prove my point.

I say again from personally doing high level skills...round off take much more work to do well.

again, you don't know WHO I AM or WAS.

my counter point/fact to your point is that you do not have to have a perfectly mastered round off to perform ANY of the skills that you mentioned.

2ndly, the round off you described was taught that way 40 years ago. no longer. and not for yurchenkos either.

you want a tutorial? look up Mas.

and if you were an experienced coach, the last paragraph would have made perfect sense to you. hey...but your high level skills trump me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back