Parents Curious?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Busymum

Proud Parent
Hi ladies. My daughter has just turned 6 and her rec coach approached myself and another mum after class to ask what year our girls were born in. Just wondered why that might be? I did ask but she just said oh it's just they're looking good. Nothing to worry about and went back in to the gym... They have expressed before that they see potential in our daughters but that was a few months ago.

Just wondered if anyone might know why they'd ask what year they were born ??

I don't know a lot about the UK system but I do know the elves are also age related. So I would assume they are trying to assess what level they could compete in the future? Odd that they don't have birthdates in their registration.

Great thanks. So what level would a JUST turned 6 year old be put in at then? Or is it that they don't go competitive until a set age? It all seems very confusing

Thank you. It just seemed a bizarre question but that's probably because it's all new to us as she's still rec at the moment. And yes 2009

The gym year runs Jan-Dec so she will be one of the oldest but won't be able to do grades/levels for two years. Most gyms I know would be starting to develop 5-6 years old in preparation for competing.

So if the other child turns 7 this calendar year then although she is maybe the same as your dd - actually your dd counts as a year younger when competition age comes to play.
But - you never know what will pan out down the line. Currently though a just turned 6 theoretically gives the coaches more time to get the gymnast really ready.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back