Parents Do they score harder in JO than Xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ok didn't see it, but I will look. It sounds like some of the xcel girls in the gym make rude comments on how they score better than the JO girls. This annoys the heck out of my dd.
I do just tell her to ignore them, but I'm sure that's easier said than done.

Depending on your area (I have heard here that it is NOT true in all areas!) the judging is much more lenient in Xcel. If you're not being dinged on form or minor details, of course you will have a higher score. Doesn't necessarily mean you performed a better routine..! ;)

If you are comparing a JO compulsory gymnast to xcel it seems that the big difference for score would be that the JO compulsory gymnast has to compete all of the skills in the given routine. If an xcel gymnast has problems with certain elements they can substituted for others that compliment the gymnast. So I would think the xcel gymnast would have a better chance at getting a higher score because their routines are designed around their strengths. I only have a JO gymnast, so maybe my thinking is wrong.

In our area, yes.

I thought there was a post on CB stating that the range of some deductions is smaller, for the same infraction - say, they can take .1 to .2 for bent legs in XCel, when in JO, they can take up to .3 (just an example - I'm sure that is not the case for bent legs, but you get what I'm saying).

The actual deductions are almost the same. You can't compare Xcel scores with comp scores unless the routines have the same level of smiles and difficulty. For example, you can't compare lvl 5 bars to a gold routine that consists of pullover, cast, bhc, squat on, tap swing 1/2 turn tap dismount. Deductions are the same but routines vary Dramatically. I wouldn't say they are scored easier.

Definitely depends on the area. Here in TN, the same judges are scoring both Xcel and JO and they're using the same standards (by that, I mean they are not more lenient with one group over the other).

Having said that, Xcel in our area tends to score higher because the routines are tailored to the gymnast. Most (not all) gyms running Xcel only include the bare minimum requirement for the routine. Less skills = less chances for deductions.

Depending on your area (I have heard here that it is NOT true in all areas!) the judging is much more lenient in Xcel. If you're not being dinged on form or minor details, of course you will have a higher score. Doesn't necessarily mean you performed a better routine..! ;)

I've never heard of an XCEL gymnast not being dinged on form, ever. My daughter was scoring low 36.0s last year in Level 3 and is scoring low to mid 36s in Xcel Silver this year, with some additional skills in some places. I think as a rebuttal to the post above, one could say that if you're competing skills that you've had for several years already and are on the low-end of your skill repertoire, of course you will have a higher score than those competing more to their ability level. ;)

I've never heard of an XCEL gymnast not being dinged on form, ever. My daughter was scoring low 36.0s last year in Level 3 and is scoring low to mid 36s in Xcel Silver this year, with some additional skills in some places. I think as a rebuttal to the post above, one could say that if you're competing skills that you've had for several years already and are on the low-end of your skill repertoire, of course you will have a higher score than those competing more to their ability level. ;)

Me either. Girls are lucky to get 9s in the xcel meets we have had this season. They get dinged on ev-er-y-thing. I saw a 33 get first place. They are definitely not taking it easy on them here.

Girls are lucky to get 9s in the xcel meets we have had this season. They get dinged on ev-er-y-thing. I saw a 33 get first place. They are definitely not taking it easy on them here.

The Xcel teams in your area must be doing more than just the bare minimum then. Around here, you have to score 38+ to be in the top 3. But I've also watched Silver girls doing a tuck jump as their beam dismount.

The Xcel teams in your area must be doing more than just the bare minimum then. Around here, you have to score 38+ to be in the top 3. But I've also watched Silver girls doing a tuck jump as their beam dismount.

For the most part. I have yet to see a 38. Or a 37. Only 36s were in bronze. I haven't followed the silvers or bronzes routines but at gold the skills vary pretty greatly and the scoring seems consistently hard whether you have easy or hard skills. DDs teammate recently won bars with an absolutely bare minimum routine- it scored a 9.2- and another won beam with a maxed out routine that scored 8.7. Most kids are somewhere in the middle, in terms of skill by level.

Xcel scoring should be compared to JO L6/L7 scoring. They do OPTIONAL routines. There are no text errors. They are subject to form, artistry, and dynamics deductions. They are subject to cast angle deductions (but only on ONE cast). They are also subject to split angle deductions (just a lower angle requirement, which depends on Xcel Division).

The routines scoring the highest will most likely be the minimum routines performed cleanly (JUST like in L6 where I have seen a 9.45 on Beam for a routine that had a CARTWHEEL as the acro and a FHS dismount... Routine was Mount, pose, full turn, pose, pike jump, run, run, split leap, 1/2 turn, cartwheel, pose, relevé step, step, FHS dismount.)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News