Do you think there's an "elite personality'?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think that perhaps this is not the best board for me.

No don't leave. I will be very interested hearing about how your daughter is doing in her training and what level she ends up competing at. It will all die down. I think it just kinda got all thrown off track by the "ELITE" and it seems to be a pretty touchy subject.

I agree - dont leave!
i am new to the board, and love reading about talented little ones, and hopefully seeing videos of them - it is amazing for me to watch as the parent of an older girl.
Stay <3

I sympathize with you, Future Elite Mom. The elite mind is a terrible thing to waste. Especially when you have an elite personality to go with it. These days an elite athlete is not an accident. Without long term division of your overall training program into periods which accomplish different goals over time called Periodization, it won't happen. I presume you seek like minded souls here in Chalk Bucket for company and to help you see this path more clearly. Please don't let scarcity diminish your resolve. There is hope.

Welcome to the board first of all! Nice to have your here.
My honest answer is that would say that elite athletes of any kind probably do share some character traits, but I would argue that it wouldn't necessarily be from a young age. The reason I say that is if an athlete is introduced to a sport and allowed to go at their own pace and grow the love of the sport, when they mature a little these character traits can develop and kick in at any time.
I would say that the love of their sport would be the most important character trait. Another would be the willingness to work hard, fail and learn from those failures what works for them and what doesn't. When these athletes do perfect something, they must have the drive to go on and build upon that success, knowing that they will have many failures ahead. They would have to be self motivated. Desire over fear is an important trait too. I couln't even begin to list them all but these are a few that I can think of. Really though, you could apply these traits to my 5 year old and she is definately no where near elite. Gymnastics is hard so I would say most competitive gymnasts have these basic qualities whatever level they are at.

I sympathize with you, Future Elite Mom. The elite mind is a terrible thing to waste. Especially when you have an elite personality to go with it. These days an elite athlete is not an accident. Without long term division of your overall training program into periods which accomplish different goals over time called Periodization, it won't happen. I presume you seek like minded souls here in Chalk Bucket for company and to help you see this path more clearly. Please don't let scarcity diminish your resolve. There is hope.

Have you found like minded people on the CB?:confused:

"Have you found like minded people on the CB?"

Thank you so much for asking that question, bogwoppit.
I find a bit of myself in everyone I meet in Chalk Bucket. I see myself in every post by every author. I am usually in accord even when I play the devil's advocate. But if I find myself at odds then I appreciate the whole picture as much as cropped versions and cultivate both. My answer is yes, I have found many like minded people here in Chalk Bucket even if I don't let on.

Interesting.... I think you like to get a rise out of people which is why you say outlandish things. Usually I tend to ignore you, because I hear enough rubbish from my kids, but at times I'm all for the game.

Funny thing is I do believe that you truly think you find a little of yourself in everyone. ^^^^^^^

I find a bit of myself in everyone I meet in Chalk Bucket. I see myself in every post by every author. I am usually in accord even when I play the devil's advocate. But if I find myself at odds then I appreciate the whole picture as much as cropped versions and cultivate both. My answer is yes, I have found many like minded people here in Chalk Bucket even if I don't let on.

Well that is very interesting. I agree with Granny Smith at this point I ignore your posts as I find the language you use is irritating to me.

There are some prizes given out in the UK each year called the Gobbledygook Awards. They are given to people who cannot speak in plain English. All the best Gobbledygook I am thinking of nominating you. Sometimes I think you have something useful to say but that you struggle to find the words to say it, which is why I thought early on that you were from a country where English is not the first language.

As to the Elite coach question, I do not believe there are elite coaches, I believe that there are coaches, some of whom produce elites and some who have coached elites others have produced. Really coaches are coaches. Saying Elite Coach is as bonkers and delusional as saying Elite Parents, they are nuts too! You are not Elite, the gymnast is, you cannot take ownership of their hard work by putting Elite before your title.

I'm glad we have this wonderful forum to come to & read & express different views:D! I'm happy you feel you have found like minded people here triptwister:D! I can't say I have the same views as you very often, but I do find your post interesting & entertaining at times(when I can understand them;)). And I certainly don't want FEM to feel that this isn't the place for her either:(. Think how boring CB would be if we all had the same views? We'd have nothing to discuss because we would all agree with each other constantly. Hey variety is the spice of life, JMHO;)! Keep on posting people!!! That's what this place is all about! And why I check it out so many times a day, LOL:D!

When I watch practices, I notice a difference in how my DD practices than some of the kids that aren't Fast Trackers. I'm sure that's why they picked her for the program. Her skills are advanced, but her personality is very suited to intense training.

Oh yeah, I've noticed since the day my DD#1 (I have 3 in gymnastics ) walked in a gym that she had the "elite" personality. Her personality was also well suited to intense training. Driven, perfectionistic, serious, competitive, hardest worker in the gym. Coaches have always called her the hardest worker they've ever seen. She was skipped through lv. 5,& 6, has several state & regional championship, is now a level 10. Most coaches thought she could have gone elite. She was in process of doing recruiting video stuff starting soph. yr. in high school after finishing a successful run at 1st yr. at lv. 10 Nationals in May, but now she has anorexia and her "career" might be gone. My other 2 daughters are just as talented and successful in gymnastics, but know when good enough is good enough and are more well rounded and balanced. Be careful what you wish for. You never, ever know what the future will bring in this sport or what direction the road will turn.

When I watch practices, I notice a difference in how my DD practices than some of the kids that aren't Fast Trackers. I'm sure that's why they picked her for the program. Her skills are advanced, but her personality is very suited to intense training.

Oh yeah, I've noticed since the day my DD#1 (I have 3 in gymnastics ) walked in a gym that she had the "elite" personality. Her personality was also well suited to intense training. Driven, perfectionistic, serious, competitive, hardest worker in the gym. Coaches have always called her the hardest worker they've ever seen. She was skipped through lv. 5,& 6, has several state & regional championship, is now a level 10. Most coaches thought she could have gone elite. She was in process of doing recruiting video stuff starting soph. yr. in high school after finishing a successful run at 1st yr. at lv. 10 Nationals in May, but now she has anorexia and her "career" might be gone. My other 2 daughters are just as talented and successful in gymnastics, but know when good enough is good enough and are more well rounded and balanced. Be careful what you wish for. You never, ever know what the future will bring in this sport or what direction the road will turn.

I am so sorry to hear that exgymnastmomx3 :(. I have known anorexics in my lifetime and understand a bit of how this disease can rip apart a person and family. I hope that she is getting treatment and continues to fight this battle. The sad part about anorexia is that you are never "cured". You will always have the tendencies lurking down below the surface. It is an awful disease. I wish you and your family the best of luck.

(((HUGS))) to you and your dds.

Thank you for you sharing your open & honest experience with us! Praying for you & your DD(((hugs)))! Please keep us posted on her health. Happy to know the younger ones aren't following the same path and are still enjoying the sport with a healthy outlook(((hugs to them too)))! Good luck to all of your talented girls!

Maybe now is the time for a group hug!;)
I think it is, now that this thread has taken a serious & sobering turn. I think these lastest post have reminded us all that maybe there is an "elite personality"...and we need to protect our children from it at times:(.

My first language is Spanish. I was born in Columbia South America. My dad survived Hitler's concentration camps. Recently my dad's momentos including his Star of David patch was donated to a Holocaust museum. I have more in common with dunno than he could fathom.

For arguement's sake we can emperically and subjectively use our intellects to create parameters that build definitions or conversely preclude them. However, just because we deny their existance by definition, it doesn't mean elite coaches do not exist. If man so chooses by definition, they exist. Or by man-made abnegation, they don't.

Henny Penny thought the sky was falling. But we learn that when we are already deceived and vunerable that Foxy Loxy may come along whom if we follow then Cocky Locky, Ducky Lucky, Goosey Loosey and Turkey Lurkey come to their demise.

The moral is that just because I think that elite coaches exist and you don't, Foxy Loxy is waiting to lead one of us to his house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's calm down and take a step back here. No need to hurl insults around.

This thread is about whether or not there are particular personality types more likely to go elite which might be recognized at an early age. Let's stick to that topic, please.

I have watched 4 elites grow up. They were all at DD's gym when her dad used to caoch there. They are all at different gyms now. The best of that group who is on the junior national team was a very unspectacular gymnast as a young kid. I can remember when she was a L5 and never placed at meets. At this young age (7) she was already homeschooled and going twice a day. Nothing about this kid stood out except her crazy parents. They were very pushy and obsessed with gymnastics.

The other 3 are elites, but didn't make the national team. One had pretty uninvolved parents, but she too was training crazy hours by the age or 7. The other two had equally crazy obsessed parents. So crazy pushy parents seems to be a trait 3 of the 4 had. Only two of the four were really good as little ones. I find it interesting that the most successful of these girls was really the worst gymnast as a kid. She really didn't start scoring well until she was a level 10. She didn't make Westerns as a Level 9 and really didn't place too well at the other levels. She wasn't horrible, but just average. I can remember her scoring 7's on bars as a Level 5. Getting an 8 on bars was a big accomplishment.

I have to say I've seen many really talented little kids never reach a high level for various reasons. Of the kids I've seen grow up I was surprised which ones really made it to elite.

An elite coach is a teacher dedicated to successfully developing and coaching elite athletes who achieve bona fide elite status. Before that, a coach is a wannabe.

Well that's just silly. I know soooo many coaches that are amazing that don't go the elite route for many practical reasons. As a matter of fact, most of our coaches train multiple levels just to keep things from becoming 'elitist'. I work with some very well known elite coaches, and they all agree that coaching at that level is impacted their outside lives in some not so great ways, and that the level of emotional investment takes it's toll as well. I don't feel 'less than' the elite coaches, because they often visit my side of the gym to get back to basics and just have fun...to get perspective. The reverse is true as well, I've worked with the elites before and it's been awesome. We all rely on each other for insight, humor, and venting. It keeps us sane. I've gotta say, getting the texts from the elite coaches at big events is almost as good as being there; and they get appropriately jealous when I tell them I'm kicking back doing whatever lazy thing at home as they travel :p

I don't know that I agree on a specific elite personality. I know the girls at my gym, and they are all very different. We have our silly ones, our serious ones, and our sarcastic ones. One thing that stands out that I don't know was mentioned yet is their ability to break down a skill almost by themselves to focus on a part that's giving them trouble. They all make changes with a skill quickly, without the self conscious desire to be perfect right away. They don't worry about it being super clean until they've fixed a problem, then they clean it up. By the time they reach elite, they've internalized and demonstrate a great understanding of the training techniques that work for them.

I have watched 4 elites grow up. They were all at DD's gym when her dad used to caoch there. They are all at different gyms now. The best of that group who is on the junior national team was a very unspectacular gymnast as a young kid. I can remember when she was a L5 and never placed at meets. At this young age (7) she was already homeschooled and going twice a day. Nothing about this kid stood out except her crazy parents. They were very pushy and obsessed with gymnastics.

The other 3 are elites, but didn't make the national team. One had pretty uninvolved parents, but she too was training crazy hours by the age or 7. The other two had equally crazy obsessed parents. So crazy pushy parents seems to be a trait 3 of the 4 had. Only two of the four were really good as little ones. I find it interesting that the most successful of these girls was really the worst gymnast as a kid. She really didn't start scoring well until she was a level 10. She didn't make Westerns as a Level 9 and really didn't place too well at the other levels. She wasn't horrible, but just average. I can remember her scoring 7's on bars as a Level 5. Getting an 8 on bars was a big accomplishment.

I have to say I've seen many really talented little kids never reach a high level for various reasons. Of the kids I've seen grow up I was surprised which ones really made it to elite.

Thank you so much for this post!!! Not only because it gives me hope for my dd (jk--She nor I are not interested in elite or high level gymnastics at this time in our lives), but because you have been there and seen all this happen. I am sure that the elite world can be an ugly place at times underneath the halo of success, admiration, and glory that is often painted by media and movies.

Originally Posted by triptwister
An elite coach is a teacher dedicated to successfully developing and coaching elite athletes who achieve bona fide elite status. Before that, a coach is a wannabe.

don't know why i didn't see this before. what he said is way off the reservation and is not true. it's just not true plain and simple.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back