fear of connecting skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi. I do t&t and I mainly a tumbler. about 4-5 months ago I developed a RO BHS fear. After a lot of frustration from my coach and myself, I am very slowly working back into it. It would help much if coach had more patience. Anyways, since he has been frustrated with me on tumbling, he has been pushing trampoline a lot (we mainly only do tramp and DM at our gym anyways, which sometimes isn't good for me). Well I developed a fear of connecting skills on tramp and was moved back a level, and now i am afraid to connect the first three skills of that routine too (back pike, tuck jump, back tuck)! I am extremely frustrated. Sometimes, it gets to the point where I won't do a back flip at all, and I start over by doing standing tucks on the tramp and work back up. i can do the skills 2 at a time (back pike, tuck jump and tuck jump, back tuck) but putting all three together terrifies me by the time I get to the third skill. I don't know what to do anymore. I know that it is simple, that I can do it, and I've done it before, but I'm scared and I don't know why. I have a meet in two weeks and I getting a lot of pressure and frustration, especially since I won't be tumbling.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

What have you tried with your coach?

Can you do back pike- tuck jump- straight jump - tuck jump- back tuck- seat drop et al? Only allow one bounce, not a stop? That may get your brain & body back into the groove of connecting things.

Just a thought.

sometimes you just have to trust that your body knows how to do what your asking it (trust me i have my run in with fears enough to speak from experience) i have fallen (badly, like white out where am i bad) on my bhs 3 times within a 6 month period and everytime i have to find a way to get it back, now it feels super awkward and makes me want to quit floor altogether, allas we dont do specialy gymnsatics so whatever. but back to the point, you get hurt, yes, you get back up think for a second what actually went wrong and go from there. Have you considered the tramp fear is power related? maybe you think youll over rotate or something to that extent? i suppose you could try them slowely at first and build up to the connection, you know you can do it so relax it will come if you let it :) good luck

sometimes you just have to trust that your body knows how to do what your asking it (trust me i have my run in with fears enough to speak from experience) i have fallen (badly, like white out where am i bad) on my bhs 3 times within a 6 month period and everytime i have to find a way to get it back, now it feels super awkward and makes me want to quit floor altogether, allas we dont do specialy gymnsatics so whatever. but back to the point, you get hurt, yes, you get back up think for a second what actually went wrong and go from there. Have you considered the tramp fear is power related? maybe you think youll over rotate or something to that extent? i suppose you could try them slowely at first and build up to the connection, you know you can do it so relax it will come if you let it :) good luck
exactly i know i have a fear of connecting a few skills on tramp due to the power especially roundoff pause backhandspring because i get to much bounce out of my roundoff that im coming down on my hands from 2 metres in the air and they can't take it so they bend and colapse and i have landed on my neck :/ about twice but im still doing them haha :p

Hi. I have been doing that with a mat throw and sometimes its ok and sometimes I freak out. I started with three bounces, then two, then one, but connecting all three is tough. I will get down to one bounce then either my coach or myself will push too hard and im back at the beginning.

Instead of going straight from back pike-tuck jump-straight jump-tuck jump-back tuck, you could try back pike tuck jump tuck jump back tuck. It'd still be an interruption in a meet, but at least then on every jump you're doing a skill?

It's embarrassing. I was level 7, now going back to level 6 and still not being able to do it. Now, due to car trouble, I may not get many practices in this week, and the meet is next weekend. I am kinda freaking out. I really don't want to go into a meet not being able to complete the routine. I visualize a lot, but even just thinking about it, I am scared. What do I do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back