Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I totally agree that if i get asked 'so can you do a backflip??' one more time i'm gonna explode. Then i say yes and they're like OMG no wayyy prove it! as though it's something massive and awesome xD Do they really think that gymnastics is about just back flips? :confused: Surely they know it gets wayyy harder than that!

Also with rips and stuff people think they're so much of a big deal. When i rip or if i bruise my leg or something my friend is like 'i think you should quit gymnastics, it's bad for you and its so stupid what youre doing to yourself' :eek: and im thinking jeez it's no big deal!

Oh and also!!!! the other day i told my music teacher that i had a tumbling competition on Friday and she goes 'Right, don't laugh at me, and i'm not making fun of you or anything i'm asking a serious question... is tumbling just doing forwards rolls down a mat?'
I was like 'if only.....'

Also with rips and stuff people think they're so much of a big deal. When i rip or if i bruise my leg or something my friend is like 'i think you should quit gymnastics, it's bad for you and its so stupid what youre doing to yourself' :eek: and im thinking jeez it's no big deal!

My mum does that too! Its like you fall over once and ok, it hurts, but she wants you to go to Casualty and "think about what this sport does to you".

13 pages and still going on daft non-gymnasts lol...

We could go on forever! My mum can be the same about injuries too - i get the 'maybe you should quit gymnastics...'
Thing is gymnasts tend to be proud of their injuries XD (aslong as it's nothing serious...) I have a dent in my shin (and a bruise that just WILL not go away) after i fell badly off beam about 2 months ago... at a competition the other day i showed a girl who's training to be a coach at my gym and she said to my coach 'OMG have you seen the dent in her leg??' and my coach goes 'haha yeah, awesome isn't it!' (she doesn't want me to be hurt, when i was hurt she didnt find it funny atal but now im fine, we can joke about it!)

Oh, just wait till you're in your 20s, girls, and guys find out you are/were a gymnast. *rolls eyes*. A lot aren't rated for this board, but some are pretty funny.

"So you were a gymnast. Can you still do the splits?" "yes." "Marry me." "Um, no"

I also get a lot of people insisting that gymnastics stunted my growth because I'm 5'3" and my youngest sister is 6'1" (basketball made her tall, I tell you).

Dumbest one ever: "If you quit gymnastics, do you think you might grow some more?" *blank stare* "I'm 25. no.*

Last edited by a moderator:
So i was at orientation for High School this summer, and we have a link program where we get put into groups of about 7 freshman and two juniors or seniors. Anyways, so we were talking in our groups and the question was are you in any sports, so it came to my turn and i said gymnastics (there's only 2 gymnasts in my school and we're both freshmen) and the one leader girl freaked out.
"OMG!! I love gymnastics thats like my favorite sport!! I love the olympics they are so awesome and Shawn Johnson, she is like AMAZING!!! and gymnastics is like so awesome and... OMG!!! Can you do like flips and stuff (the most annoying question ever) and i said yeah, and so she wanted me to show her. So i did a backtuck and the freshmen boys in my group took out their phones and were videotaping it and then my leader called her friend and told her to come over and watch me. So her friend and her group came over and they made me do like 50 standing backtucks, and just when i thought it was all over, the videocamera crew came by and so i had to do more backtucks. Then we finished the other questions in our group and we went back to the gym. The whole time the leader girls kept asking me what else i could do, and i told her i could do back flips with double twists (I had to speak in non-gymnast terms :p) and she's like
"Show me!!! OMG I wanna see it" and so we went over to the other half of the gym behind the divider and there's no mats, so i just did a RO BHS BL full and everyone was like freaking out.
So the whole first two months of school, i'd be walking down the hallways and people will come up to me and be like
"Are you the girl that does all the flips and stuff" and i'll be like "Yeah" and they'll be like ''OMG show me!" and i'm like "Uh, no. I'm in the middle of the hallway" It was really funny. :)

The 'gym stunts your growth' thing is quite common though one friend told me otherwise XD

friend 1: in physical education today we learnt about how in gymnastics, the impact of all the landings impacts on your growth plates and that's why it stunts your growth
me: really? i never knew the reason why it stunts your growth... i just knew people said it did. maybe thats why i'm so short then! (im 5ft1)
friend 2: (a non gymnast) um, no, i think genetics has a part to play here

possibly the first time that someone's ever told me the OPPOSITE of 'gym stunts your growth'!

i was with my friend once (doesn't do gymnastics, but she understands it!)
and we were at the beach and on this giant air pillow and these girls were,
i was doing some flics and back tucks etc. and one of the girls said
" oh and btw Anna can do a flip-flop"
my :confused: friend said to me " she can do a jandal? "
i realised she said she can do a flic! baha.
then i saw he try do it, it was just a lumbar(backbend) to bridge with a double feet kick over
and we just laughed :p

i also herd from non gymnast friends its easy for guys to do splits than girls :confused:
hmm well how do its explain very flexible girls and very unflexible guys ?

"wow she can put her leg to the side (y scale) thats insane! :eek:"

" wow she can walk with her legs above her head (full pike hold position)" haha big deal!

i also used to have a teacher i used to tell all my injuries to her :p
it only lasted about 2 weeks at the start of the year, then she didnt want to hear no more!
i tryed to tell her every now and again but she said naaa i dont want to hear it. lol

Vault names

My daughter just began training optionals and we saw her doing a new type of vault. It looked like a round-off onto the vault to me. My husband asked our daughter later if that was a Yurchenko and she said no, it was a suk (don't know how to spell it). Then that evening at dinner my husband says to me, "That vault she was doing is called a Yuck". Our daughter started laughing and said, "Daddy, your mixing the two together, its a suk and the other is a Yurchencho!" All these terms are so hard to keep straight!

My little cousin had just started gym, and she was pretty good, naturally flexible and had a lot of muscle from swimming and cheer. We went to one of her training sessions and they were doing cardio just to warm up, and doing butt-kicks and high-knees across the floor. My uncle looked at me and said, "Well, if I had known gymnastics was like track, I would have signed up."

Then they started vault. He shut up after that.

And I remember when I was like 10, my mom was looking for new leos for me, and when we got to a store she asked where the kid's leos were. The girl working (who looked liked neither and gymnast nor dancer), took us into a backroom with racks of dance tights. My mom and i just looked at the woman and laughed. My mom said, no, not tights. Leotards. The girl was like, "Ohhh, you mean those bathing suit looking things?" Worst part was, the tights were labeled "Leotards" and the actual leos were labeled "Bodysuit". Oy.

Last edited:
Fathers XP

I'm actually very proud of my father, he's been catching on quite quickly. He used the terms front handspring and release correctly and relating to the correct events XD

One girl on my team, her dad came up to her after a meet and said "Did you see that one girl on the beam? She fell on her one...spinny thingy. And then she fell on her exit!" Lawl...

Not so much what was said as what was done, but still a good story...

A couple of years ago I was training in an advanced rec program, and we were getting ready for our annual 'in house' competition. The other rec classes were having their end of year awards that night, and someone had the brilliant(not) idea of moving the podium right in front of the beams:rolleyes:! So one class came to do their awards, and all the parents come in and take pictures and cheer for their kids etc. etc. Normally this isn't a problem, but with the new podium setup, there was no place for the parents to sit(or so we thought). I was running through my beam routine, (last practice before comp), I was ON the beam, going through my leaps, and two of the parents, without even looking around, sit down ON THE BEAM!:eek: I was so dumbfounded that I couldn't say a word, and they were obviously oblivious to the gymnast trying to practice behind them:rolleyes:. My coach finally came over and said politely(but firmly) "Excuse me, but I have gymnasts practicing here." They turned around and literally saw me for the first time! They got off very apologetically. :eek:

My dad still thinks that a yurchenko vault is a tsukahara and vice verca:D lol

I went to a meet once and i heard my friends dad say 'you did very well! you did a carwheel on the bar!' and my friend said 'dad! it's a BEAM!'

Took a couple pages to find this but anyway... :)

My mom is wonderful, but she really doesn't know that much about gymnastics.:eyebrow: Tonight she came early to watch me practice, and I showed her what I just taught myself to do(1 hand cartwheel, YAY!) and she was like "So what was that?" "That was a one hand cartwheel." "oh. Well, I wouldn't know. It might have been a full out Josepie. :p" There were also some guys there doing Parkour, and one of them did a flip off the tramp where he landed on his back(on purpose) and she was :jaw-dropping:until he assured her that he meant to do that, and that it didn't actually hurt at all. :rolleyes:

My middle daughter is competing Prep-Op this year. My husband, who is deployed overseas, sent her an email that asked, "How is your Pre-Op going?"

She sent him back an email that said, "Dad, I'm not having surgery!";)

I know thats like the only ques. any one every asks when are you going to the olypics?? and then when you say never and they think you can't do anything, or you arn't very good... It's the worst!!

or if they ask you to do a skill like in the middle of the hall at school and you say you can't right now they all think you can't do anything.

Yeah, why does the general public automatically think you are headed for the big O?
Gymnastics is so under appreciated in our town. It doesn't even make the local paper when our team competes! I guess because it looks so pretty no one really gets that it takes blood, sweat and tears (literally!!!) If they only knew these girls work just as hard (or harder!) than any sports team. Just not fair is it?

my Dad was always quick to pick things up but my Mum hadn't really got a clue bless her. Most embarrassing was at my first competition when I was about 5 she asked my coach if the 'horrific velvet scrunchies' were compulsory, and whenever I fell during practise when I was younger she'd always ask 'were you meant to fall?! it all looks the same to me!' used to ask when i'd practise on pommel and rings as well! :p
what was even worse was that she was just as bad at pony club, saying my pony had clean 'ankles' and 'fringe', and was he meant to be bucking all the time as it was very rude and looked messy! :eek: oh the shame!:eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back