Funny Things People who don't do gym have said?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I hate that! I have injuries and well be like on pavement or something, and someone will be like do a backflip. I'm like just because I can do one doesn't mean I have to. I'm not stupid enough to do it on pavement, one mistake and its over

Thats exactly what happens to me!!!.. and then they think you can't do anything...I hate that!!

Yeah, why does the general public automatically think you are headed for the big O?
haha yeah.
I was getting my hair cut today, and i told the lady that the layers can't be too short cuz i'm a competitive gymnast, and what does she ask?
"So are you planning on going to the olympics?"
i'm like
"Uh, no. I gave that up a while ago. I'm trying for a scholarship now."
She's like oh. Like as in "you're not that good?" they don't say that but you know thats what they're thinking.

Haha, these are funny. When ever people ask me if I'm going to the Olympics I'm just like. Maybe.....

Or Can you do a back flip, like right here, right now. (in the middle of a crowded hallwa, at school, in jeans) Then I do a back walkover and that suits them well, but then I figure out everybody is staring at me.

And I started high school this year and not many people know I do gymnastics, but I wore my track jacket the other day and this girl I barely know came up to me and ask
Are you a gymnast?
Me: ya
her: REALLY, like Shawn Johnson!?!?!
ME:Not exactky
and then she walks away dissapointed.

I was getting my hair cut today, and i told the lady that the layers can't be too short cuz i'm a competitive gymnast, and what does she ask?
"So are you planning on going to the olympics?"
i'm like
"Uh, no. I gave that up a while ago. I'm trying for a scholarship now."
She's like oh. Like as in "you're not that good?" they don't say that but you know thats what they're thinking.

Ugh, hairdressers! Bane of gymnasts everywhere!:mad: I had one a couple years ago; told her that while I wanted a LITTLE bit of layers, wanted them "Short enough to go into a ponytail because I do gymnastics." What did she do? She made the layers so stinkin short, I was stuck sporting the Olga Korbut look for months.

haha yeah.

OMG I know!! Its like you're either going to the Olympics or you can do a cartwheel... no happy medium!

Try falling doing a trick in front of everyone. Great for the ego that one. :D

"I heard gymnastics stunts your growth."

My other friend (also a gymnast) replied, without skipping a beat, "I heard basketball makes you taller."

Maybe you had to be there.

Oh I love that one--we have a mom at gymnastics that is constantly saying gymnastics makes you 2 inches shorter (her reasoning--that gymnasts are shorter) I just shake my head and laugh.

This isn't really funny, and let me hear from those parents who have experienced this. Whenever I mention to someone that my daughter does gymnastics and that she goes 17 hours a week, they look at me like I'm abusing my child! I quickly add "She's the one pushing us! Not the other way around". They think it is such a sad thing that she has no life outside the gym. If she wanted a life outside the gym, she could have it, but she chooses gymnastics and all that it requires.

This isn't really funny, and let me hear from those parents who have experienced this. Whenever I mention to someone that my daughter does gymnastics and that she goes 17 hours a week, they look at me like I'm abusing my child! I quickly add "She's the one pushing us! Not the other way around". They think it is such a sad thing that she has no life outside the gym. If she wanted a life outside the gym, she could have it, but she chooses gymnastics and all that it requires.

Oh I hear that quite a bit--people saying they would never let their child spend that much time on anything. Really? You wouldn't support your child's dream, even if you knew she's never make it to the Olympics or professionally or whatever? She loves doing it--why is that bad??

Haha. These are great!!!

One time, I was waiting in line for lunch and I had this conversation:
boy: you're in gymnastics, right?
me: yeah...
boy: so, are you, like, gonna go to the olympics???
me: umm.....I want to...
and then he wanted me to do backhandsprings(well he said backflips) down the hall....and I was like, uhh...no!I dont wanna hurt myself!

Another time at our school's gymnastics/ice skating party, I was just doing simple backhandsprings and everybody was like "WOAH!!!!"

Over the summer, I was at the park, and I was doing backhandsprings in the grass (haha I like bhs :]) and this girl came up to me and asked if I could teach her how to do that. I was like, "how bout a backbend???"....yeah, I never taught her....

A few years ago, I had to do an explanatory writing thing for English and I demonstrated how to do a back walkover. When I did it, everybody was asking me if it hurt!!!

On the first day of school, I had gym class. Our teacher was going through the class list and when he would call our name, we would say "here" and raise our hand. When he called my name, i rose my hand and he said, "Woah, that was like a gymnastics slaute!" and everybody was like "She is a gymnast!!!!"

Last edited by a moderator:
The one i hear the most is "do you play gymnastics?" I hate that!!!
Oh, and it always amazes me when people haven't heard of gymnasts like Nadia and Shawn etc.

Haha. These are great!!!

A few years ago, I had to do an explanatory writing thing for English and I demonstrated how to do a back walkover. When I did it, everybody was asking me if it hurt!!!

One of the girls at my friends school did one of those for a bhs (she wasn't a gymnast, and they didn't have to demonstrate how to do it). It was kind of funny listening to it:p. It went, first, you have to jump back onto your hands, then back onto your feet:eek:. When all the girls at gymnastics heard this, we were like, "there is sooooooooooo much more to it than that!"

Sometimes people think that you have to be short in order to be a gymnast, so when my 5'5'' self says "I'm a gymnast" they say "Only short people can be gymnasts..." I sigh...

People say that to me too!Im 5'6 and when people find out im a gymnast they never believe me.

Oh I hear that quite a bit--people saying they would never let their child spend that much time on anything. Really? You wouldn't support your child's dream, even if you knew she's never make it to the Olympics or professionally or whatever? She loves doing it--why is that bad??
It's not bad! I think gymnastics is very underappreciated by the general public. Most people just don't get it. It takes a full committment from the child and parents.

or when , your parents think they know what they are talking about. and they come to watch you at practice , but then after wards critisise you , because they had no idea what you were doing but they thought they did . and they say like why did you do this , you have to do this
that ever happpen to anybody besides me !?

Gymnastics VS Football

Once at School we were playing tug of war. I had said im stong i should be in front there like no Mike plays football he will be strongest. So the last round after we lost all the rest they let me be in front. We won so easily. (I am a gymnast).

It makes me mad when people call football players stronger than gymnasts.

"If gymnastics were easy it would be called football"

or when , your parents think they know what they are talking about. and they come to watch you at practice , but then after wards critisise you , because they had no idea what you were doing but they thought they did . and they say like why did you do this , you have to do this
that ever happpen to anybody besides me !?

My dad did that once after a meet! I was sooooooooooo mad!:mad: I just sat there and said nothing, but inside I was screaming!:mad:

Glad to hear it isn't just my parents.:p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back