Going to a meet without your gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

H

hermom

Can you attend a meet with out your gym as long as you have a coach? My DD needs to score of a level 5 (she is in prep gold) so next year she can go to level 6. She has a coach that has recently moved away and just stop coaching. I would love to see her go to a meet without the pressure of the team.

Thanks for any info you can share

Well as far as I know there are no rules that say you cannot. I do believe it has to be through her gym though and the coach has to have the proper certs. to coach on the meet floor. Also you will probably be solely responsible for all the coaches fees, travel, food, motel, wage, gas. Our gym has had 1 kid go to a meet with her coach but that was because she was a high level and qualified to a special meet, out gym has also sent a coach with 1 kid to nationals, but her family had to pay for all of it. I would say talk to your gym owner and see what he/she thinks and if they are cool with it and you can swing it go for it.

I don't understand the situation. Sometimes if a child is the only child at the level or just needs to score out or qualify, they may attend a meet solo (at the discretion of the team director). However you can't just get a coach like for a private to take your kid to a meet...this would be out of line in most situations. I'm not sure what the pressure of the team is, it is much harder to warm up when there is only one person, probably much more stressful.

Unless the rules have changed you do not have to go through your gym. You just have to have a USAG member coach on the floor with you. I didn't read carefully so I'm not really sure why you would do this.

I know of a situation where a girl competed without a gym because she had left her gym and not moved to another one. She just had a coach that her family knew go with her. She had qualified to Westerns and they weren't going to not go, but had a falling out with their gym. She eventually went back.

I would suggest asking your own club this question, I am sure you will get an answer. Though I somehow doubt it will be the one you want to hear.

The fact that your gym has a team your DD's level suggests that the answer will be no, from their side. You may have to change gyms to try what you want.

We do have girls who are classed as "independante" here, that means they have a coach who is fully qualified, but not affiliated with one gym. They train and compete, but not under a gym name.

Toward the end of the regular optional season, you tend to see a few girls going to meets without the rest of the team so they can qualify for states. However, I have never seen a girl come to a meet like that without a coach from her gym.

Out of courtesy, I would talk with your dd's coaches and discuss your idea and why this would be better for your dd than going with the team. Have you spoken with the coach you want to have go with your dd? She may want full blessing from your gym also otherwise it puts her in a very awkward position.

I'm not sure I understand why she wouldn't be able to go with another coach from her gym, but a few years back our coaches watched a girl from another gym---her coach wasn't willing to travel to this meet just for her, so our coaches agreed to let her warm up with our team and set her bars, etc. I've never seen a gymnast at a meet without any coach at all with her though.

She could not go without any coach at all, but like you said it does not matter if the coach is from the gym she actually attends or not. We had a girl that wanted to qualify for Nationals but did not make it at the first qualfier go with another gym and their coach to another qualifier that our gym was not planning to attend, and it was fine but it was set up between the 2 gyms. That all I suggst you do, not saying you couldn't get ahold of another gym and ask their coach to go but it would definatly be really awkward for her existing gym.

I'm not sure what the pressure of the team is, it is much harder to warm up when there is only one person, probably much more stressful.
I have to disagree with this. I personally feel kind of uncomfortable warming up with all those little eyes watching me. I think it depends on the personality of the kid.

And, of course, some teams have a lot of "catty" girls who would make anyone uncomfortable.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back