WAG Gymnastics for dummies...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Code of points? I Love asking is x worth same as y...I know most skills. DD has been in gym for awhile as her older sister was...but as to what each skill is worth? I leave it up to her coach. I told her two days ago when she said WHAT her floor passes are, "Hey, why don't you do a layout step out out of the Rudi?" Hah! That went well! Kind of like..."See that's why I never like telling you anything! " I live to razz her! Don't tell her...

That reminds me of my son... "Are you doing the double, double, flip, flip, pose!"
Ha ha. My kid laughs at me and my use of "flippy twisty thing" when describing anything she does. She's been known to pull up YouTube to show me stuff when I just don't get it. Anyway. I just sit back and watch and hope the coach only puts things in the routine that she can do

Okay - I think I am better off not understanding. Ha! I looked over the Code of Points.....yeah - I will just continue to listen to my DD and use Google.
As for CGM-ness - I am clueless there too, but I hope that poster doesn't assume something about me...
Oh well, thanks anyway.

women's, falling with your back to the floor is a front giant. in men's it's a "back" giant.
in women's falling to the floor with your stomach is a back giant. in men's that's a "front" giant.

confused yet? want to get in to "regular" grip, "reverse" grip, "mixed" grip, "L grip", "eagle" grip, "cross" grip, YIKES! :)

Ok, got the basics- she is talking about the different grips to me too- and blind change and singe?(spelling?) showing me hands go this way then that?! I am LOST! HA!

women's, falling with your back to the floor is a front giant. in men's it's a "back" giant.
in women's falling to the floor with your stomach is a back giant. in men's that's a "front" giant.

confused yet? want to get in to "regular" grip, "reverse" grip, "mixed" grip, "L grip", "eagle" grip, "cross" grip, YIKES! :)

This is my real mental block. I love to understand the sport, love the code of points and all the symbol. But I've watched a youtube video explaining the different grips, and I still can't understand what an L grip is. It's ot relevant to my gymnast, I just want to undestand.

Reactions: sce
This is my real mental block. I love to understand the sport, love the code of points and all the symbol. But I've watched a youtube video explaining the different grips, and I still can't understand what an L grip is. It's ot relevant to my gymnast, I just want to undestand.
An L- grip is a blind grip, but your hands are the other way around. If you stretch your hand in front of you with your palms down, you are in regular grip. If you turn your hand 180 degrees with your thumb coming over your hand (so you turn your hands away from each other), you are in blind grip (most commonly used for front giants) now if you go back to your regular grip and turn the other way (so your pink comes over your hand) you are in L grip. If you can't completly turn them in, you are absolutely doing it correctly lol

An L- grip is a blind grip, but your hands are the other way around. If you stretch your hand in front of you with your palms down, you are in regular grip. If you turn your hand 180 degrees with your thumb coming over your hand (so you turn your hands away from each other), you are in blind grip (most commonly used for front giants) now if you go back to your regular grip and turn the other way (so your pink comes over your hand) you are in L grip. If you can't completly turn them in, you are absolutely doing it correctly lol

And to make it even more complicated, what you call "blind" grip, we call reverse grip (but we use a blind change to get into reverse grip most of the time).

OP - in case you didn't know, a CGM is a crazy gym mom and you are definitely not one just for asking about skills!

IMG_2884.PNG

Here's a photo of L grip (aka el grip or eagle grip).

So L is the same as eagle? So eagle giants are those gross shoulder ones? EEEK- give me the shivers! And reverse is same as blind? What is a singe (not sure of spelling on that) versus blind change?

So L is the same as eagle? So eagle giants are those gross shoulder ones? EEEK- give me the shivers! And reverse is same as blind? What is a singe (not sure of spelling on that) versus blind change?

Yes L is the same as eagle. What do you mean by singe? Do you have a video of it?

That is the best explanation I have heard. Thank you so much. So the hands actually look the same on the bar, but the L grip has massive, uncomfortable rotation in the arms?!

Yes L is the same as eagle. What do you mean by singe? Do you have a video of it?

no, no, no. eagle is hanging on to the bar with your fingers and thumb and going around the bar without shifting your wrist pads directly on top. L grip or invert is placing the pad of the wrist atop the rail or pipe and posting. they are distinctly 2 different things.

no, no, no. eagle is hanging on to the bar with your fingers and thumb and going around the bar without shifting your wrist pads directly on top. L grip or invert is placing the pad of the wrist atop the rail or pipe and posting. they are distinctly 2 different things.
I really have never heard of these being different things before. I've talked with many different coaches on this topic, all more experienced than me, and they've said that it's simply a matter of semantics; people use different words for the same movement. Even the code of points groups L grip, eagle grip, and dorsal grip together as the same thing.

Can you clarify your experiences with this a bit?

I no longer understand hardly anything she fricking does.
One of the coaches asked me about a month ago if she had told me she did a so and so on a so and so (I seriously don't remember what the so and so even was, sorry!)....and I looked at the coach and said, "I have no idea what that means," and she laughed.
Thank God for youtube. She wants me to know what the skill looks like she is working on, so I have her show me one time, and I promptly get a visual of it and forget what it is called. And then I go in the bathroom and vomit.:confused:

OP -

Warning - don't go there; CGM-ness ahead. Honestly, unless you are her coach, there is no need to know this stuff. Yes I know, you want to be a better informed parent. I will tell you from experience thru level 10, you are better off just referring to skills as "the flippy things". What the skill is and how many of each you need in a particular routine is much better left between the gymnast and the coach. Ask yourself, what would you do with that knowledge. You are going to be busy enough holding your breath during the big release moves on bars and the flippy thing series on beam.

Good luck.
I totally disagree with this. Understanding the sport can make parents better spectators. Honestly, your post comes across as quite condescending, just as that dumb scale about deduction they use on tv with the arrows and colors is condescending. People can understand a lot without it making them too involved or crazy.

The gross shoulder ones (if you mean where the shoulders "look wrong", kind of backwards) are German giants, @rjb123. They look awful, I agree, and I'm glad they're very uncommon now. I once saw a German giant to a Pak, which made me cringe horribly.

L grips look normal, but they're super hard.

I like that people are taking an interest in how the sport works, and I don't think it makes anyone crazy. You're only crazy if, with your newfound knowledge, you go to the coach and start telling them how to construct your child's routine, or telling your kid that the coach is doing it wrong, or something like that.

Why don't the interested parties start a thread (or use this one) to ask these little questions, or for clarifications on certain elements?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back