WAG Gymnasts with Type 1 diabetes

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Not a gymnast but a patent of one and I was diagnosed when I was nine. You will need to monitor your glucose closely. If you feel the slightest bit low, it is a NOW thing. Not a one more rep then I'll check thing. You need to have something to treat lows in your bag and a back up set in the gym. You will need to establish safe parameters with your doctor. Something like under 100, no beam for you. Talk to your doctor or nurse educator about a plan for the nights after practice. Often my sugars run lower a few hours after I exercise. Sometimes up to 4-8 hours later.

It is my opinion that the faster you can get a pump the better also for an athlete the dexcom continuous glucose sensor would help too. Both are expensive but worth fighting your insurance for.

Good luck, be patient with the learning curve.

I typed a long message and lost it. My 7 year-old was diagnosed in January. She is not on a pump yet but got a dexcom a month ago. It really eases my mind. Her coaches have been great. It is hard but gymnasts are tough and can handle anything. Feel free to message me with questions.

It's important to let your doctors in on how often you are training/ the intensity. You need to keep everything in check and know your limits. Make sure you're eating all the right foods and if you begin to feel dizzy you need to stop immediately to stay safe.

DD has a teammate with it. Other than seeing the little bump of the pump under her leo, you'd never know. She's a little firecracker. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back