WAG Hand + feet placement on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

coachalexia

Gymnast
Hello, so i've got a few questions, i've been learning my back tuck on beam with my feet next to each other, but i've seen lots of gymnasts who put one foot in front of the other, is it easier to stay on this way? Same with roundoff off beam, lots of gymnasts do this with their feet behind each other when again, i do them with my feet 'closed'.

I've also got some problems with my backhandspring on beam, i put my hands down horizontal, i really don't know why, it gives me this weird swing in my hips but i still manage to land straight, again, i've been trying to put them next to each other but every time i jump backwards they just turn, should i try to put my hands another way, or is there a way to fix this problem?
Thanks for reading!
(Sorry if there are any typos, i'm from Belgium)

It is almost necessary to put your feet one behind the other at least slightly on back tucks and round offs. Otherwise it will be very easy for you to split the beam. They don't need to be completely one behind the other, but you big toe could be in line with the middle of your other foot.
Some very small girls do it with feet together, but at some point they will need to move one foot back slightly.

Do you have a coach supervising you on these skills? I'm concerned that you could hurt yourself from what you've described.

It is almost necessary to put your feet one behind the other at least slightly on back tucks and round offs. Otherwise it will be very easy for you to split the beam. They don't need to be completely one behind the other, but you big toe could be in line with the middle of your other foot.
Some very small girls do it with feet together, but at some point they will need to move one foot back slightly.
Yeah, that's what i meant with next to each other, sorry, i've said it the wrong way haha

Do you have a coach supervising you on these skills? I'm concerned that you could hurt yourself from what you've described.
No i've got a coach, she's scared to help me with 'big skills' though that's why i teach most of these skills myself, i've been in gymnastics my whole life but our gym is rather small so it's really hard to get to a higher level at our gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back