Help with US competition system.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello all...looking for some help understanding how the US gym system works. Our club is heading down to Florida to compete in a couple of weeks and I was wondering how our girls will do with their current routines. I have tried to watch some equal level routines on youtube but am unsure as to how many of each skill level are required. For example our level 7's have only two tumbling lines and I have seen US routines have three.
I have included the youtube link for my daughters current level 7 routines and wonder if someone might be able to take a look and let us know what if anything is missing or if there are any skills that she should not be doing for level 7.
The girls are all so excited to go a meet in the US and especially in warm Florida!!!

Thanks in advance for any info.:)

YouTube - First level 7 Provincial Qualifier

I'm just a parent, so hopefully some US coaches and judges will also watch your video and comment on your dd's routines.

Basically, looks like she's right in line with US L7 on vault and beam. On floor, I believe a full turn is required and didn't remember seeing one in her routine. The girls in the US only have to do 2 tumbling passes at L7, but many gyms do 3 to get them ready for the next level. I couldn't tell from the angle what her 1st tumbling pass was---back tuck or layout? A layout is required at L7 in the US.

Bars seems to be the area she will have the biggest problem. Must have 2 circling elements which are usually 2 free hips or a free hip and giants. There are also angle deductions on the free hips and casts which a coach could better address.

Hope you have a great time in FL.

BTW--Your dd and my gymmie have the same floor music. I'd say they have great taste!

If your girls are competing level 7:
Vault: Ok
Bars: To start at 10.0, she should replace her first hip circle with a free hip circle.
Beam: Ok, she doesn't need the tuck jump 1/2
Floor: She needs to do roundoff back handspring layout and not 1/2. And she should have a 1 1/2 turn to replace her full turn.

And they don't have to do 3 passes on floor.

I hope you have a good time! Where are you going exactly?

vault is great.

bars is umm not the standard routine.for level 7 you need cast hanstand and two cirlcling skill ex clear hip giants. so for her routine if she doesnt have her gaints she could do a claer hip on low bar and one on high bar and it would be fine. the layout flaway is fine.im not sure if you can do the back uprise though.

beam everything is great you have all the requirments 180 split with a jump you have the flight skill which is the bhs and the two skills connected the tic tioc bhs. the round off is vaild. i think you our allowed to do the tuck 1/2 but you dont need it.

floor is fine i believe you might need a 1 1/2 turn you are aloowed to only have to tubming passes i do. some people had an extra tuck at the end but is just gives you deductions. the half is very fine for the routine but it is not needed.

look on the usag website and they should have the code and requirments for level 7.hope this helped.
p.s i loved the floor music

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the responses:)....she now does do a 1 s 1/2 turn on floor so that is good, layout half is not allowed or not required? That would be easy enough to adjust. I am happy to hear about the required # of tumbling lines, since that is harder to change. Our girls will be competing in a provincial qualifier on the 14 of Feb and then we leave on the 17 for Florida...so not much time to make a change like that! Vault and beam I thought were good, but since this video her beam half tuck jump has been changed to something she calls backhandspring fishflop. Is that okay for level 7. But the bars;)....I think they will be her challenge since she does not have her giants yet...but one out of 4 is great!

We are heading to the Presidential Classic in Orlando. We are all very excited....especially for some warmer weather!!:D

Thanks again for all the responses!! Very helpful!

The layout 1/2 is not required but the simple layout is. For beam, just don't put the new movement in her routine because it's not required. And on bars, if she puts 2 clear hip circles, 1 being above horizontal, she will be okay. Otherwise, she can keep her routine but her start value will be 9,5

Gym Law Mom.....It is new music for my dd this year!!Great taste for sure! How old is your gymmie?

My gymmie is 13 and its her 1st year with this music too. She's a 2nd year L8, but they are really pushing all of her L9 skills and she already has her L9 bar routine plus most of her tumbling for L9 floor. Her beam coach has been great about pushing her on doing some L9 skills also.

On the floor routine, the layout is required, but some do a 1/2 twist. Just depends which is the more consistent.

Good morning...all of the replies have been very helpful...thanks! I do have another question that I am sure someone will know the answer to. The schedule lists our flight as having level seven and All Stars, does anyone know what this is?

How do the team awards work...we dont have team awards here in Ontario. And lastly...are the groupings ussually done by level and age or are ages combined depending on numbers...if so..what would be anormal number in each grouping...it appears we have just over fifty level 7 in our flight. Our coaches are currently concentrating on our next Qualifier this coming weekend so I dont want to bother them with this right now.

Thank you!:)

Good morning...all of the replies have been very helpful...thanks! I do have another question that I am sure someone will know the answer to. The schedule lists our flight as having level seven and All Stars, does anyone know what this is?

How do the team awards work...we dont have team awards here in Ontario. And lastly...are the groupings ussually done by level and age or are ages combined depending on numbers...if so..what would be anormal number in each grouping...it appears we have just over fifty level 7 in our flight. Our coaches are currently concentrating on our next Qualifier this coming weekend so I dont want to bother them with this right now.

Thank you!:)

Not sure about the All Stars. At these big meets, they do awards based on level and age. They usually try to have at least 3 age groups(if not more) so that most of the girls will go home with something. Many meets will group them based on birthday, so you could have a girls only 2-3 months apart in different age groups for awards. Not sure if that makes sense:) Of course, the groupings do depend on the number of girls at each age. They probably wouldn't have a seperate group for only 3 or 4 girls.
Hope some of that makes sense!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back