WAG How do they choose a release move?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

thefellowsmom

Proud Parent
The bar release move thread got me wondering how they choose which release moves work best for which kids.

My dd is going into her level 9 season. She and two other teammates are doing Paks and everyone else on the team does bails. Now that she has her pak she is starting to work the bail as well because her coach wants her to have all the skills to choose from going forward. She also has a toe shoot in her routine.

She is also working drills for jaegers and tkatchevs and shaposh variants. Other team mates are working on totally different things, well some same and some different, you know. She says that each gymnast was given specific drills and skills to work on and it wasn't a try everything and see what sticks or goes well or badly situation.

So, I was just wondering what type of kid is a candidate for each of the release moves and how coaches go about choosing which ones for each kid.

Size matters, for one. Some between-the-bars releases are easier or harder for tall vs shorter gymnasts. I.e. bails/shootovers tend to be easier for taller girls and women. Shaposhnikovas and toe shoot hechts are also easier for taller girls, but they are the most common low-to-high releases so many people train it.

Tkachevs require a bit of straddle flexibility so if a gymnast's straddle isn't great, they might pass over that in favor of other single-rail releases like the Jaeger.
If you have a really high floaty flyaway, that can be a sign that a Jaeger would be easier to learn.

Also, drills for releases start years before actually training releases, so coaches have probably been observing what types of releases suit each girl better.

One girl I've been keeping an eye on, Whitney Bjerken (look up her channel on YouTube, if you haven't. She's excellent!) has been learning a Gienger for her same-bar release. Reading here, that seems unusual. Why do you think this release could have been chosen?

My dd is training lv 8, has been working bails and paks for next year, but is also working a gienger. Her coach wants her to do a gienger bc she has an incredibly high bar dismount! She was able to get her double back super fast bc she has just found that sweet spot!

I will say, she is very early into her gienger drills! Watching her coach toss her around is very very funny!

My dd is training lv 8, has been working bails and paks for next year, but is also working a gienger. Her coach wants her to do a gienger bc she has an incredibly high bar dismount! She was able to get her double back super fast bc she has just found that sweet spot!

I will say, she is very early into her gienger drills! Watching her coach toss her around is very very funny!

Ouch! That drill looks like it hurts! My daughter does Geingers and was never spotted through a drill like that! I will have to show this video to her....

Ouch! That drill looks like it hurts! My daughter does Geingers and was never spotted through a drill like that! I will have to show this video to her....

If that "hurt", what happens when they miss their release and fall from the high bar onto their belly?

I am sure she is fine. She could stand to be a bit tighter as she lands, but teaching kids how to fall is important.

He is just kind of tossing her. Lol!

If that "hurt", what happens when they miss their release and fall from the high bar onto their belly?

I am sure she is fine. She could stand to be a bit tighter as she lands, but teaching kids how to fall is important.

I thought it looked like it would hurt the coach's back. He is leaning over and lifting her up using his back muscles.

My daughter is notoriously loose..IN EVERYTHING o_O! So yes, he is not only trying to show her the "feel" but also how she must stay tight or she will hurt herself when she doesn't catch the actual bar. She has done a few off the pit bar, but just does a layout timer and flips. This is still so very new to her and I know that it will be many moons before this is anywhere near good.

DD said it doesn't hurt ;) so no worries there.

He is actually teaching her to fall flat. You can see him coaching her on her landing position. This is very important to the success of most single bar releases. If I child is not completely comfortable landing on her belly (Jeager, Ginger, Delchev, Ray etc...) then the trick is dead in the water. The tekachev is a different animal.

My dds both say that it's much worse to almost catch and ping off awkwardly than it is to miss completely and land on your belly... one does Jaegers and one does Rays so completely different releases but same thing if you miss!

My dds both say that it's much worse to almost catch and ping off awkwardly than it is to miss completely and land on your belly... one does Jaegers and one does Rays so completely different releases but same thing if you miss!

Yep, my daughter had a stage of what seemed like forever where her Jaegers were good and she could catch them, but she would just sort of tap the bar with her hands but would not grab the bar because it was much scarier when she would almost catch. She was completely used to the falling on the belly and wasn't bothered by it at all. It is still fun to see the rec parents gasp even now when she occassionally misses in practice and lands on her belly.

My daughter trained a geinger for a while and never got it....we switched gyms, and she got her Tkatchev in about 2 weeks...she also did a Jaeger without much problem. She was an overshoot (vs Pak) kid because her coach felt that could go right into something else. And she always did a double layout dismount. And to this day, both my girls say the overshoot is the scariest thing they did in gymnastics (not the flipping on the 4 inch beam, mind you) so go figure...

A lot of times the release is chosen based on what their future college is looking for (same with dismounts and vaults).

I would also like to take this opportunity to apologize for my horrible spelling and future horrible spelling . :). And this,,, (,,,) I just can't help myself!
Change your ways, coachp!!! The grammar gods command it!!!

Gienger update...glad my dd's coach spent the time teaching her how to fall in my previous video (because she's falling a lot-to be expected of course). So here is progress from tonight-teany tiny baby steps, I know!

:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back