How do you encourage stretching at home?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter's coach told her to "keep working (her) stretching at home". I read between the lines pretty well and I heard, "She's not flexible enough." I've heard that kids with really muscular legs have flexibility issues and have even had some parents make comments to me about it at meets (ie "She'll have to work harder at stretching with all that muscle.") She always does what her coaches say in practice, but she doesn't love doing stretching on her own time. I know that flexibility becomes more important when transitioning from Level 3 to Level 4, so I want to create some type of incentive for her to keep working at it. Have you guys had any luck doing something similar with your gymnast(s)?

my ds had flexibility issues at age 7.
he only joined pre comp at that age- later than most of his peers.
he stretched most days for about a month and then had all splits down but still LOTS of work on shoulder flexibility . he practised box splits to the wall 1 minute x 3, both front splits 1 minute x 3 overworked morning before school (only takes about 10-15 minutes)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

hmmmm....my daughter has very muscular legs and is still pretty flexible...? Have never heard that before. In what areas does she lack flexibility? Just her splits?

You could try having her 'teach' you stretching and stretch together. Otherwise, if you are not opposed to an incentive system, let her earn a sticker for every 15 minutes (or whatever amount of time you/her coach deems appropriate) she spend stretching. Then she can trade certain amounts of stickers in for 'prizes.' Things like ice cream after practice, a small toy, a movie, etc.

we tried the stretching while watching tv we had recommended but it didn't work like the each morning do the stretch to get the goal

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Making it a nightly routine, along with toothbrushing and storytime really helps. Stretching alongside her will help too. We never did stretching with dd when she was younger because she was naturally elastic. But I wish we had started a routine back then because as she got older, she lost a lot of flexibility. She has since gotten most back but it was a lot more work than it would have been just maintaining it in the early years.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

hmmmm....my daughter has very muscular legs and is still pretty flexible...? Have never heard that before. In what areas does she lack flexibility? Just her splits?

I've never heard it, either and my dd is muscular. She does practice 5 days/week. Maybe that's it?
I agree with others, make it routine and maybe she will get used to doing it.

It's not really more strength but higher muscle tone. Kids who hold there bodies really tight usually have more trouble with flexibility. Low tone -or loose - kiddie tend to have better flexibility. Any one who has worked with kids with special needs see this all the time with cerebral palsy, strokes, down syndrome, etc.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I like to read to my kids and frequently my girls will work on their stretching while I am reading. I second the doing them with her. I have been working on core exercises with my oldest. I need to strengthen my core and it seemed like she could use some help in that area too, so I asked her to help me do my exercises each day like the PT told me to and now she bugs me every day to do my core work with her.

We don't have time for stretching in the morning (unless we get out of bed at the crack of dawn, and that is never going to happen!) It has just become part of my gymnast's evening routine, normally after dinner, sometimes while watching tv - they will do stretches every ad break. I have noticed that they are more enthusiastic is either myself or hubby stays in the same room with them, normally we will have the stopwatch and time them and we chat away... I think they find it boring to go off and stretch on their own.

You could try having her 'teach' you stretching and stretch together. Otherwise, if you are not opposed to an incentive system, let her earn a sticker for every 15 minutes (or whatever amount of time you/her coach deems appropriate) she spend stretching. Then she can trade certain amounts of stickers in for 'prizes.' Things like ice cream after practice, a small toy, a movie, etc.
Instead of giving her stickers or prizes for time spent stretching you should make mini goals and reward her when she achieves them. That way if she wants whatever you are offering she will be motivated to work for it. And with a focus being on improvement she will easily be able to see the flexibility gains her stretching is giving her, rather than just going with the motion.

She can get all the way down on her splits, but where some girls just slide into them, she goes down within a few inches and has to work to settle down the rest of the way.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Doing stretching during TV breaks is a great idea and I know she'd love to teach me (not to mention I could use some stretching myself).

My DD stretches each night, usually after dinner. It has become part of her evening routine. If she is watching TV, she stretches in the ad breaks. She also does some of her stretches while reading a book! She has a chart and when she has filled it up she chooses a reward.

I am pleased to announce that I have a new, and VERY enthusiastic "stretching teacher"!
Don't hurt yourself. DD asked to see my splits, and I tried it on a tile floor while wearing socks. Went lower than I really wanted to and had trouble getting out of it! She and her (flexible) mother enjoy laughing at my inability to get splits past about 90 degrees.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back