How do you tell current coach your daughter is leaving?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Thanks to everyone here, we have pretty much decided to go with the new gym...usag.

Now I need to figure out a way to let her current coach know. I told my husband, I would like to leave it friendly so if she doesn't like it, she has the option to go back.

I would hate for her to hate her new gym and not be able to go back to her old gym, thus having to quit. That would really be bad for her.

Next week would be her last week and I don't know when I should tell the coach. Was thinking tonight...but not sure. I feel I owe her kind words.

??????????????????????

[email protected]

thanks so much!

denise:confused:

Honesty is always best, especially if you intend to return should things not work out at the new gym. We were in the same position last summer - it's never easy. It is truly a relationship that needs to be treated with respect as any other relationship. Starting out with the positives always softens the message, but good coaches will know why you're leaving and let you know that it's ok. As for timing, the sooner the better IMO. Good luck.

Last edited:
Honesty is always best, especially if you intend to return should things not work out at the new gym. We were in the same position last summer - it's never easy. It is truly a relationship that needs to be treated with respect as any other relationship. Starting out with the positives always softens the message, but good coaches will know why you're leaving and let you know that it's ok. Good luck.

I agree. Honesty is the best policy. Just a simple the other gym is closer and you are hoping to save some time, money or try the USAG program. All are true.

Explain your reasoning. That's most important. I went through the pain of having to tell a college (track) coach who was recruiting me very heavily-once a week phone calls for 10 months-that I had chosen another school. It's not the same, but it was still hard because yes, I had formed a relationship with him and had even worked out with the team. But like I said just be very clear with why you're leaving and make sure not to sound accusatory or offensive in any way. Be polite, friendly, and calm.

thanks

I did it. I finally got up enough nerve to call her. She took it better than I expected, but it was difficult. She said she understood...we talked about the convenience of it all. I told her we would try it until mid October -=which is when she will be ordering the leos for competition. This way if she hates the new gym, she can order a new leo for the old gym and compete there. We are hoping, though that she likes the new gym.

Hope we made the right decision.

thanks again
denise

Congratulations on moving up to the USAG program! I think you handled everything perfectly, leaving the door open for a return (just in case). It's also important that your daughter still feel like she can catch up with her old friends too! Let us know how the new gym works out!

Just wanted to say welcome to the Chalkbucket, as you have noticed we have a great gang here who are full of great advice and wonderful support.

Glad you were able to reach a good decision for your DD and also that you were able to communicate with the club in an effective way. Keepiing the doors open is always good and the gym world is very small.

I'm so glad that your departure went so well, yeah! Not all exits go well and it is nice to hear when things turn out so nicely. Oh, and welcome to the world of USAG. Can't wait to hear how the new gym is working out and all about how her season goes. Good Luck!

I think she should try the gym while stay at her gym that shes at now. then if she likes the new gym just write a friendly letter to her old coach

you guys are great!

Well she goes to her old gym until the end of next week. Actually goes today in about 1/2 hour. Next Tues. goes for a full class at the new gym then starts for "real." She is excited, nervous, etc. but I think she will do great!

We have until mid Oct to make the decision stick.

denise

I did it. I finally got up enough nerve to call her. She took it better than I expected, but it was difficult. She said she understood...we talked about the convenience of it all. I told her we would try it until mid October -=which is when she will be ordering the leos for competition. This way if she hates the new gym, she can order a new leo for the old gym and compete there. We are hoping, though that she likes the new gym.

Hope we made the right decision.

thanks again
denise

Sounds like it went very well. Glad to hear that she took it well and is open to having your DD return, if the new gym doesn't work out.

WOW. I had to go through this last month! I was switching gyms, for numerous reasons, and I was switching form rec. team to USAG Pre op!

I had a very hard time having to say good bye. I wanted to just leave and not have to go in and explain why I was leaving... But my parents said that I needed to and that they would come in with me. That helped a lot! So it came the day to have to and I was so nervous!I went in and got there attention so they would get off the floor, and I just basically told them that because of (an issue that arrived there) that I could no longer stay and be a part of there team. There were lots of questions that my coaches had, but all in all I got through it! And i am glad that I did, because my switch has gone for the better and I LOVE it there! It has brought back the FUN in gymnastics that I used to have and that was taken away!

Just stay strong and tell them that she wants a change and you want to try a different program. And tell them if it doesn't work, she wold like to come back here. They should understand and be happy that you will come back if you need.

Hope it goes well.

Whiddend,

It just darned on me that I think I know who your ex coach is (based on your location). Is her first initial A?

Anyhow, if I'm right, I can't imagine she not being understanding on your situation as she had a USAG background, both as a gymnast and as a coach. Afterall, she is a very good person.

Best of luck to you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back