Parents How does your gym level up? Is this typical?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I was thinking the same thing! Lol!
I would probably ask why 3A isn't a better option. If they give you the "We are too good to compete 3A," spiel, it's bull. Go look at www.txusag.org and you can see that the 3A scores are actually for the most part, pretty competitive. Also, you can move from A to P after a few meets when they ARR scoring 9s all across. My suspicion is that they are using the threat to get the kids to bust their butt all summer!
lol - I DID have that thought, but I've heard they plan on implementing it. Our gym isn't real big on input from parents/gymnasts -- there are no other competitive JO programs within 2 hours -- so its pretty much their way or the highway! I REALLY do like your idea about the 3A/ -- then P though!! I might try to work that suggestion in there :)

Wow! Only 23 girls total got a 9.0 or higher on bars at level 6 Ohio state meet. I think it was like 11% with all age groups combined. Of those scores, 10 of them were below 9.1.
ugh -- and that is exactly what I'm scared of -- and then they are STUCK for an entire year!

OK. I have to ask. What is the whole A and P thing you have going on down there in Texas?????
A=Achievement, P=Placement
Achievement get scores and ribbons based on score. Placement is your typical competition.

OK. I have to ask. What is the whole A and P thing you have going on down there in Texas?????
A = achievement P= placement -- achievement, everyone gets the same ribbon/trophy whatever -- I am not sure of other differences. I don't really like achievement ... for example, a child that actually scored a 9.2 (hard worker) will be recognized no differently than one who scored a 6.0 (goofs off) - (happened last season). I believe hard work should be recognized though!

In A (achievement) competitions the girls are not competing against each other. They are trying to achieve their personal bests. Ribbons are awarded (blue for 9.0 and above, red for a score in the 8's, white for a score in the 7's, and yellow for a score below 7). Since the gymnasts are only competing for their personal achievement, there is no winner. At awards each team (or each child) is called up to salute with their score card that has ribbons stapled to it.

P (placement) is a typical competition where gymnasts compete against one another in assigned age groups.

I like achievement competitions for little ones as a low pressure introduction that allows them to get used to the logistics of a meet in a positive way.

In A (achievement) competitions the girls are not competing against each other. They are trying to achieve their personal bests. Ribbons are awarded (blue for 9.0 and above, red for a score in the 8's, white for a score in the 7's, and yellow for a score below 7). Since the gymnasts are only competing for their personal achievement, there is no winner. At awards each team (or each child) is called up to salute with their score card that has ribbons stapled to it.

P (placement) is a typical competition where gymnasts compete against one another in assigned age groups.

I like achievement competitions for little ones as a low pressure introduction that allows them to get used to the logistics of a meet in a positive way.
This was a much better explanation!

It looks like our gym is doing it based on skills. But I will let you know next May after my kids compete 3 if they are moving to 4 or not lol

I will tell you that in Texas, a first year 3 in the jr. Levels will likely get killed in 3P. One meet we went to a kid got a 10 on bars and beam. They award top 50% a Events and 100% all-around, but even a kid scoring low 36s won't see much in the way of placements.

I will tell you that in Texas, a first year 3 in the jr. Levels will likely get killed in 3P. One meet we went to a kid got a 10 on bars and beam. They award top 50% a Events and 100% all-around, but even a kid scoring low 36s won't see much in the way of placements.
Yep so true! I was gonna say that a 36 AA might get you in the top 15 at north/south state. Junior division is extremely tough!!!

To answer the original question, level ups at our gym are based on the previous season's scores. What your gym is proposing would not be typical in our area.

Hmmmm -- so maybe 3A isn't a bad idea .... lol

well good luck -- at least 4 is a possibility! :) I will let you know if mine gets to compete 3! :)

I hope your dd will get to compete 3, whether in 3A or 3P. Our gym starts all the girls in 3A and moves them to 3P as they see that the girls are scoring high enough to be competitive for placements.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back