Parents How does your gym level up? Is this typical?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter's gym has a new system in place for leveling -- and it seems odd to me. At our in-house JO in July, a gymnast must earn ALL 9's in order to compete that level this season - this is supposed to be across the board, for all competing gymnasts. So in my daughter's case, she has JUST now started learning level 3 routines/skills, and in less than two months time, she must earn ALL 9's at our JO in order to compete level 3 -- otherwise she would have to compete level 2 AGAIN -- even though she easily earned ALL 9's throughout the season. Although I have a lot of confidence in her abilities, I think it will be a stretch to receive ALL 9's on a new routine. She doesn't want to quit team, but also is totally bored with level 2. UGH! How does your gym handle leveling?

We go to the same gym and I feel this policy is ridiculous too and so do most of the parents that I spoke to about it. M &S made the decision as the head coaches and owners and my DD's coach told me that M & S felt the gym has been moving up the girls too fast. I find it very hard for the girls to get all 9s when Junior Olympics in house meet is in a few weeks and the start of the compulsory season is still months away for the girls to practice their skills. Most of the girls just started learning the new skills and routines.

The gym had the same policy last year too but because of the new level changes in USAG last year, they let all the girls move up. If you notice, many of the girls in different levels did not place last year during the season or got close to the podium so I think they want to hold the girls back to have them repeat so they improve skill wise and get better scores so the girls will feel better and make the gym look better. We are the only gym in the area that have girls in elite program and many girls have earned collage scholarships and the gym has a reputation to uphold in my opinion.

I am hoping all our girls do well in a few weeks and I'm hearing only a few girl may make it to the next level if they stick to the 36 AA and all 9s rule. One of the coaches told me, none of her girls are moving up. I don't see many of us pulling our DD since we all just paid $500 for new leos and warm up suits. At least we don't plan on leaving if our DD is held back.

At our gym, they go through a month's worth of evals on each apparatus and conditioning. In regards to requirements, they must have achieved a 36 AA at two meets, get certain skills to move to the next level, have no fear of trying the next level's skills, and be on time, have a good attitude, and love what they are doing :)

$500 for compulsory team leo's & warm ups? $500??? Didn't the OP say her daughter was Level 2 hoping to move to Level 3?

Whoa. :eek:

Tell me about it, its was $250 three years ago for our old leos and warm up suits but I guess all that bling/rhinestones cost alot nowadays.

$500 for compulsory team leo's & warm ups? $500??? Didn't the OP say her daughter was Level 2 hoping to move to Level 3?

Whoa. :eek:
I agree, that is HIGH!! There are very nice leos in the $100-$200 range, and warm-ups can be inexpensive if not overdone with jewels. Ours is much less, and includes a bag. We always look good, too.

Optional must be a fortune then lol:rolleyes:

Our gym gets new leos every three years and our girls in the upper levels weren't given the option to reuse the old leos since we have been wearing them for three years already. I think the ones who just got on team were allowed to use the old leo this year if they want. We have to buy the new ones. I guess getting custom GK leos with rhinestones make the price go up. Trust me, we spend thousands a year on this sports and buying $500 in a leo and warm up suits is a hard pill to swallow but I guess we as parents will do anything to make a DDs happy.

Our gym gets new leos every three years and our girls in the upper levels weren't given the option to reuse the old leos since we have been wearing them for three years already. I think the ones who just got on team were allowed to use the old leo this year if they want. We have to buy the new ones. I guess getting custom GK leos with rhinestones make the price go up. Trust me, we spend thousands a year on this sports and buying $500 in a leo and warm up suits is a hard pill to swallow but I guess we as parents will do anything to make a DDs happy.

No, No. $500 is too much, unless you're on the National team or something. Custom GK Leos are what my dd's gym gets every 2 years, and no way do they cost that much. Whoever is picking out the leos for your gym has expensive taste, or doesn't think about costs and it's effect on families. At least it's for 3 years but Ouch! That's expensive!

No, No. $500 is too much, unless you're on the National team or something. Custom GK Leos are what my dd's gym gets every 2 years, and no way do they cost that much. Whoever is picking out the leos for your gym has expensive taste, or doesn't think about costs and it's effect on families. At least it's for 3 years but Ouch! That's expensive!

The interesting part is that the optional girls got the leos first since their season started in January and were given choices between three leos and they were the ones who got to pick and of course, they picked the most expensive ones. I guess that what we get when we let the girls decide what the want to wear and none of the parent had any input, we're just along for the ride. The compulsory girls have to match the optional girls and will be wearing these leos for the first time this season. I think the leo itself was $200 and the rest was the warm up suit.

I would have a serious problem with that kind of cost for a L2 gymnast. It is unnecessary, over-the-top expensive for a child of that age/level. My DD is now a L8 and I've never paid that much for leo & warmup, even when they're all purchased in the same year. It's too much money and IMO shows a lack of respect for the families that have to shell that out for a growing child competing compulsory. There are a lot of options of leo's that are very nice, even with bling, that do not cost anywhere near that much. Same with warm-ups...lots of great options that will not break the bank.

I guess at least you know what to expect in terms of cost for that kind of thing now, but dang....that would really make me think twice.

I agree that such a cost would likely mean that my daughters would not be competing. Our gym uses a tank leo at the lower levels. We got a metallic leo with some bling for $80 last year. This year I will have to buy two even though the design was new last year because she outgrew her sleek fit leo and it won't fit either child that will be competing. They can share warmups but not a leo because they will compete at the same meets.

I agree that such a cost would likely mean that my daughters would not be competing. Our gym uses a tank leo at the lower levels. We got a metallic leo with some bling for $80 last year. This year I will have to buy two even though the design was new last year because she outgrew her sleek fit leo and it won't fit either child that will be competing. They can share warmups but not a leo because they will compete at the same meets.

Exactly why it is silly to spend so much on a leo for a kid that is at the age where growth from year to year is significant. Even $80 is a lot! Any chance you may be able to sell your current leo to another family to recoup some of the cost of the new one?

You are the only one who has expensive leos and warm ups. Our will be $450 this year. $250-300 for the leo and the rest for the warm up. We keep it for two years.

I've always paid $500-700 for leotard and warm ups. This next season will be the first year she gets to wear a leotard for a 2nd year as well. She has only competed 3 seasons. The first season the gym she was at was on the last year of that leotard. Gym switch and that gym was on the last year of that leotard. Finally this 3rd season she gets to keep it another year. Good to know there are gyms that think about cost, but we have never been at one.

I've always paid $500-700 for leotard and warm ups. This next season will be the first year she gets to wear a leotard for a 2nd year as well. She has only competed 3 seasons. The first season the gym she was at was on the last year of that leotard. Gym switch and that gym was on the last year of that leotard. Finally this 3rd season she gets to keep it another year. Good to know there are gyms that think about cost, but we have never been at one.
?:confused::eek:!!
(we pay $350, keep them for 2 years. Includes a bag. Don't throw things please!)

we don't have warm-up - club hoodie only (£25) and leo (£60) total £85 ($142) we don't change leos for at least 5 years

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back