MAG How long?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, many of you have heard my whining, but I wanted to ask a question about this now.

Our coach abruptly quit a couple of weeks ago. He told us one night, and the next night was his last. There was no plan in place, and they have just started looking. We still have AC who is amazing, but who also has a job outside of the gym. We have some college guys that are doing a fantastic job in the interim, working to learn what they need to help the boys.

Parents, including me, are wondering how long do you wait? I mean, the college boys will go back to school ft in the fall, and ac will still have his job.

So, we are all just trying to be patient, and also wondering how long we wait this out???

I am trying to figure out how to word this correctly.

The questions are coming from this are: Right now, the boys are not working future stars/tech sequences. They are doing a few skills but only the ones they were working on back in May, and that is only skills that they know they can do. There is no new training occurring.

We want to wait...truly. But can we wait 2 months with no new skill training? 3? While season is months away, the boys want to be ready to compete.

So that is the question. I know we wait as long as it takes. Or, look at other options.

Reactions: sce
If it were my ds, my decision would depend on how much he loved the gym and his friends there, how convenient it was to get to compared to the alternative, and how serious his chances were of long term 'success' by which I mean college scholarship or national team (I know that there are all sorts of success in gymnastics and I am not by any means saying the things I've listed are the only ones that count but rather are factors I would weigh in). If he was really happy where he was, it was convenient to get to and he didn't have serious long-term aspirations which would necessitate optimal training then I would probably hang on and see what happened. If I had a reasonable alternative, and he had serious and envisagable dreams of scholarship/ national team etc, I might consider moving sooner rather than later to give time to adjust before competition season. But I'm sure there are wiser and more experienced people on here who can say if a couple of months makes a big difference overall or not. It is a gamble, 'cos if the new coach turns out to be Mr Fantastic then the wait might not make too much difference, but if he is not such a good match for your ds then it may be that time has been wasted as you end up having to move and he has to adjust to a new training environment. Anyway, what ever you decide, best wishes to you and ds and hope it all gets sorted out for the best

It is HARD to find good mens coaches. For us, there is only one boys team within 200 miles, so its a no brainer...boys want to do gym? they wait. Previous HC left in December, college age kid took over and women's HC filling in gaps. Boys had a good season (great actually for all of them), and although the gym is looking for another coach, no reasonable candidates have surfaced yet. The college kid and women's coach have risen to the occasion and learned tons, the boys are all training the next (or even higher) level skills and really excited about it.

Do you like the culture of the gym you are with? Do you trust the leadership and the direction they are taking? Do you see evidence of the boys program getting attention and a long term plan in the works? For our gym Future stars is on hold (but our best boy aged out and the ones who would likely consider it in the future are really young...our other more advanced boys were actually "written off" by the previous coach to a certain extent and are working harder and gaining skills and strength faster with a new start - but college gym is the most they could hope for, if that...

I did finally move my DD to my boys gym last week due to family issues and my concerns with the leadership/gym culture at her gym...its been very hard for her. Nothing wrong with at least knowing your options, but I do think speaking with the HC/owner of the gym and seeing the long term plan might be helpful, and then try not to stress about the next month or 2...they are boys - they'll work harder to catch up!

I think I'd be inclined to wait it out a while longer but start asking some pointed questions in late July-August. If the college guys are doing a good job of instilling work ethic, running solid conditioning, and teaching skills, that's not a bad thing, especially for the optional boys who are thinking about college themselves. But as the competitive season approaches, I think the ship will need a rudder.

it's done by the 'club rep' at your new gym. it's nothing complicated. you still fill out the form and the club rep makes sure that Member Services notes that the athlete has changed gyms. everyone is now on expiration 7/31 so it will be done then. if it were during competitive season it would have to be done then. it's one of the more simple things in everything we have to do. :)

We are planning to stick it out. The coaches that are working with them right now seem to be eager to learn and try to figure out what they need to do. The AC is great with the kids, and is very technical and knows how to break down skills well. Hopefully he can teach the college boys how to teach skills. They were looking at routines and the code of points. So I am hoping they will start working on some skills with them soon.

Wonder if it is the gym that I heard abouts head coach leaving. The gym my daughter is at has had an influx of boys if it is. Good luck deciding. There are a few other gyms if it is the one I'm thinking that are also awesome if they don't find someone to replace the coach, but knowing the reputation of that gym they will try to find someone worth waiting for.

ugh. nothing. nada. Not even a nibble. I feel like I am turning into a major CGM, asking questions. Are they working tech sequences? Are they training for the next level? Do they have a plan??

The boys (2 coaches) are great. I have to say they have really stepped up and are doing a good job. But we have lost one gymnast so far (2 1/2 weeks in with no coach). Others are waiting out the month to see where we stand....

They are getting GREAT conditioning. They are probably in the best shape I have seen them in in a long time. And it appears that they are starting to work some new stuff slowly. But, I see what his competitors are doing, what skills they are getting. D is falling behind. But...then I remind myself that we have 6 months.

It is a never ending thought process right now. :(

Ds is a 7 year old level 5. In his two full years on the team, he has worked with no less than 5 coaches. While HC remains the same, and the boys team is here "baby" it has been a lot of transitions.

It would is difficult to find a man that has the experience and needs a part-time job long term. We have lost one to school, one to the service, one added baby to the family, and one was just a terrible fit in the first place. I do understand when you are back n the lower level, you break in the new coach, but it does seem a bit counter productive. I believe HC is looking but good help is hard to find.

For us there is another short term option two, but turnover is any issue everywhere.

ugh. nothing. nada. Not even a nibble. I feel like I am turning into a major CGM, asking questions. Are they working tech sequences? Are they training for the next level? Do they have a plan??

The boys (2 coaches) are great. I have to say they have really stepped up and are doing a good job. But we have lost one gymnast so far (2 1/2 weeks in with no coach). Others are waiting out the month to see where we stand....

They are getting GREAT conditioning. They are probably in the best shape I have seen them in in a long time. And it appears that they are starting to work some new stuff slowly. But, I see what his competitors are doing, what skills they are getting. D is falling behind. But...then I remind myself that we have 6 months.

It is a never ending thought process right now. :(

This is exactly what our resident ex-college gymnast believes should be happening in the summer. Tons of strength and conditioning in the beginning, then start working new skills, so the new skills will come much easier and cleaner. But I would be really, really anxious were I in your shoes. All good thoughts.

We are 6 months without a permanent new boys coach - the temporary college aged kid has committed to staying a year at least - gotten certified, has gone to a couple camps and will go to more plus congress this year. He may be walking about with "the book" sometimes, but I know he's doing tons of research because I see him pull out a new drill pretty much every week (I only watch part of one day they practice). HC (very experienced female gymnast and coach) has upped her involvement in the boys, staggered practices so she can be involved in them as well as the girls team, and asks lots of questions of others. It's a patchwork, but its working. Our boys have gotten more new skills with this combo than they did in the last year or so with the burnt out not emotionally healthy old coach.

Our boys are very driven to make this work and are doing everything the coaches ask and then some. Now our boys have no other choice, no other boys team in 100 miles - but still - their commitment is making a huge difference. My sons are both gaining the skills for their new levels - one of them is skipping from 5 to 7....and also training safely and effectively...

All this is to say it can be done...when it has to

That is great to hear gracyomalley. In absence of a coach, I am hoping that our college boys will step up. We do still have our AC who was a college gymnast, so he is full of knowledge, but just can't do the physical piece anymore. He has coached forever. Our owner is also helping. He was a gymnast and boys' coach once upon a time, so he is teaching them as well.

Sigh. I would just love to see some new skill aquisition, but I am being patient as they are conditioning a lot, and getting in really good shape. I just worry about the little things...who is going to do uniforms, usag numbers, go to state meeting, schedule meets, travel with the boys....

I warned you...I am a planner!! LOL!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back