Parents I love new things!!!! What new things are your DD's working on?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

My DD hasn't been doing gym for very long (coming up on 2 years in December) and already I get so bored watching the same stuff. It's so great to finally see some new stuff.

Their competition season just started ( 1 meet under their belt) and I don't think I really agree with or understand that they are spending a lot of time recently on new stuff, but I do love it. When I say I don't agree I just mean that some of our girls scored 5's and 6's on bars and it seems like they would benefit from working L4 skills rather than new things. DD has her skills and isn't competing so it's very exciting to see new stuff.

Last night they did kips, squat ons and jumped to the high bar. DD did her squat on by herself, but only jumping onto a block. She had to have major help jumping to the high bar. Do they usually move the bars closer together for little kids? I just don't see how she'll ever make that jump :eek:.

On beam they did cartwheels. DD did 2 on the high beam by herself! Then they did back limbers on the low beam. What skill is that leading too? It just seemed weird. Maybe just to get them used to going backwards on beam.

Vault was pretty much the same except they piled 2 big mats on top of the normal vaulting mat to make it really high. We were all laughing because DD did a straddle vault. She couldn't get to handstand because it was so high so she straddled her legs and pushed up. They've been working press handstands so she put that to good use.

Floor they did lots of front handsprings.

It's just so fun to watch new things. I haven't watched practice much lately, but now I'm eager to go and see the new skills.

Yeah, it is fun to see new things!

J is working on whips, tucks, and back walkovers on beam. She can do BHS on beam but dislikes back walkovers.. :confused:

We are just under a month from her first L5 meet, so lots of time working on those skills, less time for other things I guess.

Olivia's excited because she did 3 giants in a row the other night, by herself, with straight legs, on the regular bars, not the strap bar!! I don't know if she's more excited about getting the skill or the fact that the coach owes her an ice cream! She'll never let him forget that, either! But of course I wasn't there to see it. :rolleyes:

Olivia's excited because she did 3 giants in a row the other night, by herself, with straight legs, on the regular bars, not the strap bar!! I don't know if she's more excited about getting the skill or the fact that the coach owes her an ice cream! She'll never let him forget that, either! But of course I wasn't there to see it. :rolleyes:

That is awesome!!! WTG Olivia :)

Woohoo! WTG Olivia! Lily just got her giants on regular bar too. Very excited for L7 this year.

Not sure how much uptraining Lily is doing right now as the push is on to get ready for L7. I think she is working on her bhs/bhs series on beam and trying to develop a ro dismount. She occasionally does tsuk timers on vault and twisting on tumble track and I think they will be working toward fhs/flo soon. Bars are just trying to get the L7 routine with all the struggles involved in the giant to lo flyaway and trying to get free hips to hs or close on a consistent basis.

Thanks Tracy! I'm not sure she really "has" it yet, as in making it every time, but she has done it by herself. The day she made it, they gave her her floor music, which she listened to over and over again! LOL! :)

Still has a looong way to go on bars with only 2 months to get there. Send bar fairies!

Morgan is still working on flipping that Yurchenko :rolleyes:

Since she will most likely be repeating L7 she is getting to continue to uptrain her L8 and some L9 skills.

The Gym is going to let her use whatever L8 skills she has in her L7 routines.(since the only thing that is keeping her from 8 is the vault) Nothing major, just adding a BHS/BHS series on beam, doing a RO/BT dismount. On floor she will add a 3rd tumbling pass which will the full.

Thanks Tracy! I'm not sure she really "has" it yet, as in making it every time, but she has done it by herself. The day she made it, they gave her her floor music, which she listened to over and over again! LOL! :)

Still has a looong way to go on bars with only 2 months to get there. Send bar fairies!

I will send them your way.

Last season Morgan got her giants about a month before her first meet. I can remember willing her to make them around. LOL!! I will say it seems that once they start making them it just clicks.

How exciting about the floor music. What music did she choose?

I'm not honestly sure what it's called. It's sort of rag-timey, but cute. I think the routine is likely to be cute because will be a young and little 9 yo when she competes. I'm hoping to tape the routine when she gets it and I will put it on youtube.

Sending vault vibes to Morgan. I hope that she's flipping the yurchenko soon. It's nice that she can compete some of her L8 skills at L7.

Morgan is still working on flipping that Yurchenko :rolleyes:

Since she will most likely be repeating L7 she is getting to continue to uptrain her L8 and some L9 skills.

The Gym is going to let her use whatever L8 skills she has in her L7 routines.(since the only thing that is keeping her from 8 is the vault) Nothing major, just adding a BHS/BHS series on beam, doing a RO/BT dismount. On floor she will add a 3rd tumbling pass which will the full.

Love that approach, at least for invitationals. That's probably what I'd do too, if I worry a kid might be bored and then maybe take out some stuff for states. Obviously depending on the kid and whether they prefer the challenge of skills or the bling of results;)

Congrats to Olivia & Lily on those giants - awesome stuff! My dd is working lots of new stuff on all of the events, but still has a few months before meet season so hopefully some new stuff will make it into routines!

Can't believe meet season has already started for some of the girls - good luck and have fun! :p

I'm not honestly sure what it's called. It's sort of rag-timey, but cute. I think the routine is likely to be cute because will be a young and little 9 yo when she competes. I'm hoping to tape the routine when she gets it and I will put it on youtube.

Sending vault vibes to Morgan. I hope that she's flipping the yurchenko soon. It's nice that she can compete some of her L8 skills at L7.

I look forward to seeing it.

Thanks for the vault faires. I think it's going to be awhile before she can flip it. She is not getting her hands far enough back on the table and therefore making it almost impossible to flip.
She can flip them great when she is just using the big block mats. :D

This is just my opinion (and its probably not right) but it seems like because she is so small and the table is set on 5 that it's just not possible for her to get her hands in the right spot. Like I said, that is just my thought process and I am sure it is way off base. :)

Love that approach, at least for invitationals. That's probably what I'd do too, if I worry a kid might be bored and then maybe take out some stuff for states. Obviously depending on the kid and whether they prefer the challenge of skills or the bling of results;)

I am happy that they are doing that. She was really upset about having to repeat L7 so at least this will make it seem different.

I look forward to seeing it.

This is just my opinion (and its probably not right) but it seems like because she is so small and the table is set on 5 that it's just not possible for her to get her hands in the right spot. Like I said, that is just my thought process and I am sure it is way off base. :)

I know zero about yurchenkos, but I hear you. I can't imagine Lily even making a bhs onto the table set that high. But we do have some little girls at our gym who can do it. Here's hoping it is just taking time to get it right. At least they are not letting her flip before she is really ready.

New things are fun aren't they? Dd will be repeating Level A, which is now called Level B with the rule changes (confusing, I know). She is still working on that darned ROBHS and perfecting that kip (hopefully straight arms this year) and keeping those legs straight and together. On beam, she is working on some new things--a side handstand straddle down hold to 1/4 turn to sit on beam (very pretty move) and a front gainer dismount.

Baby Bog is learning some new things too, her first meet in mid November. She has moved up to Provincial gymnastics this year and therefore has a whole host of new things to perfect.

She finally has both kips on both bars, she just needs to put the whole routine together with her flyaway. she is also getting used to grips at the same time.

On vault she has to get over the table at 115cm, this is definitely a challenge for her.

On floor she is perfecting her ro bhs bt, she may compete something else if the coach feels it is not ready yet (gotta love an optional system)

On beam she is working hard on the full turn and split leap. She has her acros and a nice ft dismount worked out.

She has her floor routine, same as last year with the new skills added in. She knows most of her beam routine, a new mount and dismount were added in.

My dd worked on backwalkovers on the floor beam yesterday for the first time. They still need work. She started working on her flyspring/bounder last week and now has it nailed. It looks beautiful! She has her standing tuck on the trampoline. She has the form down. She whipped them at first but now they are true tucks. She has kipped by herself a couple of times but they aren't something they work on regularly so I wouldn't say she has this consistently on her own. She has to make at least 3 straddle presses on the floor and 3 on the high beam before she can move on to something else now. She is also learning the tops rope climb and it makes her laugh. She thinks it is funny. I feel like they are always mixing things up and trying new things.

Well mine is still in the very early stages of gymnastics but she's working on a few things. She's been trying to get her bridge kickover back for awhile. She had it last Feb or March but was kicking with the "wrong" leg apparently so now she's been trying to kick over with the right leg. She's close and has done it once or twice but there is definitely no consistency to it. They also just started working mill circles and I can already tell that's gonna be a tough one for her. She's doing baby handstands on the beam but isn't kicking up high at all yet. RO's are something new that she's working on. Hmm...probably lots of other stuff that I can't think of. Pretty much all the basics are being worked on as well. :D

My oldest DD is working on: Bars-mill circles, front hip circles, and beginning to learn kips. Beam - handstands, level 4 dismount. Floor - back handsprings, improving her roundoff. Vault - the level 4 vault. She also just was picked to do TOPS, and she absolutely loves it. I think she likes the conditioning better than she likes regular practice.

My middle DD is working on all the basic level 1 skills, they work a lot on handstands and cartwheels in her class.

My youngest DD is in the "baby" class, and mostly she is learning how to wait in line and follow directions. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back