WAG is floor too easy compared to bars?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know when dd went to compete in Florida last year she had to take lots of skills out of her beam and floor routines to compete level 8, but did not have the requirements for a 10 on bars. (She was missing a turn around on top of the bar). As our province and others are switching to the JO program kids are having a hard time keeping up with bars.

I guess it is a good thing, to be more advanced than we were on bars, But I'm afraid that if girls have to go back a level because of bars, there will be a lot who will just quit.
I can't see them making you go back a level because of bars... I could see girls competing w/o a 10.0 SV at first and maybe having to repeat a level while upgrading skills.

You spend your life on your feet; it's natural. The "basics" of floor - running, jumping, leaping, etc are all normal and natural. The average fit person can learn to do a standing back tuck (it may be ugly). Even something as "simple" or "basic" as a front hip circle on bars is completely foreign to people, and not at all natural. The average fit person jumps into front support on bars, and then gets down, saying "yeah, not going to try anything".

Plus, the skills in the three other events are so similar. Bars are just a totally foreign apparatus.

And a back hip mount looks so easy, then one open house at the gym I tried it. Um, let's all just forget THAT ever happened, lol.

Bars is by far my youngest dd's favorite event, and bars seems to come the easiest to her. I see her struggle most on floor. However, bars was by far my middle dd's weakest event. In fact, bars was the event that caused middle dd to quit gymnastics. I agree that it depends a lot on the kid.

Pretty much all the 5,6,7 girls at my gym are required to have a cast 2hs and a freehip pretty close 2hs to compete. I guess maybe it just goes by your region. In regions where the competition is easier, girls don't have to have a cast2hs to place. In my region, you just have to have stuff 2hs to b competitive

XOXO HannahGS

could you please speak English? some of us are old and could die in the time it takes us to figure out what you just typed. thx, Dunno. :)
I was thinking the same thing at first... cast2hs is the same as a CHS or cast handstand ... "2" replaces "to" somehow.
I know you already know this, but just in case somebody else doesn't :)

To me, and this is totally anecdotal with only three years of observation, but it seems like you have to score higher on floor to place well than any other event.

My DD has placed well with vault scores in the high 8 but that will never place at all on floor. Same thing to an extent for bars.

But she has also received low to mid 9s (9.1 to 9.3) and not even get to the podium on floor. It almost seems like if you aren't getting at least a 9.5 on floor, then you aren't going to medal at all.

Yes, same here. You may get a medal with a 9 on bars, but not with a 9 on floor.

I have always wondered why bars seem so difficult compared to the other events. In DD's gym, it is almost always bars that holds girls back. And even if they get the bar skills to move up, they are always the last of the events to be in place.

Yes, same here. You may get a medal with a 9 on bars, but not with a 9 on floor.

I have always wondered why bars seem so difficult compared to the other events. In DD's gym, it is almost always bars that holds girls back. And even if they get the bar skills to move up, they are always the last of the events to be in place.

Yes, exactly what I meant! So many girls are pretty good on floor but bars is always something that holds them back. Very few girls seem so really like bars...

In my gym we have several L7s who could definitely compete L8 on all three events but not on bars...they seem to struggle with that a lot, and many of them can't do straddle cast handstands with good form.

I would really like to know why...

People say because it's so different than normal human behavior. Everything else is "feet" but bars is doing something foreign to us in general....swinging on our hands.

People say because it's so different than normal human behavior. Everything else is "feet" but bars is doing something foreign to us in general....swinging on our hands.

yeah, totally! and also, the other 3 events are kind of "similar". a back tuck or cartwheel on beam is much scarier...but if you can do a good one on floor, you are not too far away from doing it on beam...and bars is so different!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back