WAG Is it possible to get a BHS without a back limber?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My older dd I'm pretty sure got her bhs before a back limber. I know that she had a fhs before a front limber...

Mine is working on both now. She had the back limber very briefly, then lost it, but she has her standing BHS (hasn't tried connecting to RO yet). I think for my dd it is a bit of a flexibility issue that makes it more work to do the limber.

My DD (8 year old level 3) got her back limber in no time when she was 6 years old. It took her forever and a year to get her ROBHS! So having the back limber didn't seem to be of any benefit to my DD. She competed level 3 in 2013 as a 6 year old needing a light spot and having having form issues with her ROBHS. She trained only in 2014 as a 7 year old, working a lot on proper form on the tumble track and rod floor. Now, she is preparing to compete level 3 again as an 8 year old in 2015. So 2 years after she first started to consistently work on her ROBHS she is finally doing them confidently on the floor with no spot although she still has some form issues to work out.

Have really moved away from all unassisted or unmodified limbers by now, so the answer is yes, but it really has nothing to do with the limber and everything to do with the child's strength and coordination.

Of course it is!

Boys do back handsprings in MAG but generally never even attempt a back limber.

In my experience it depends on flexibility. If the gymnast can't do the back limber because she is not flexible enough, it usually does not prevent her from learning the BHS which requires a lot less flexibility.

However, if the gymnast is flexible enough for the back limber and can't do it, it does often mean they have trouble with the BHS because the fear factor is often limiting them.

Thanks to all who responded! Now here's my next question -what attributes are important for a BHS? My daughter is extremely flexible so I know that isn't limiting her. Is strength or coordination most important for gaining this skill?

Coordination and timing were my DD's issue. She is both flexible and strong but she always seemed to be a split second behind when it came to pushing off of her hands

Look at her round off, a round off has similar attributes to a back handspring. The gymnasts needs to be able to keep her body tight and are flight both onto and off of her hands, block through her shoulders and rebound. If she can do a round off with good tension, speed and power that's often a good indication of a solid BHS.

The speed at which she gets the skill will depend on a number of factors - confidence (is she fearful with other skills?), ability to adapt and change what her body is doing. Based on her coaching and the quality of the way she is coached. The latter will play a huge determining role in the speed at which she gets it - effective drills, a coach who understand the body concept and consistent training usually bring the skill quite quickly.

My daughter is currently training to do back handspring (I noted all the progressions so far in a different thread), she can do a standing back bend (back limber?) where she can drop to a bridge from standing, she did briefly do a front limber (stand back up again from a bridge?)

My daughters back handsprings are going ok, each stage has to be done with form to get to the next stage, she has done them down a wedge mat with a light spot ( hand to tummy and back when performing them) and spotted back hand springs on the trampoline.

In warm ups my daughers group does back bends from their knees and come up again, what is that all about? This is something my daughter finds easy, they haven't done standing front or back limbers in warm ups yet, is that the next stage from doing them from their knees?

My daughter is currently training to do back handspring (I noted all the progressions so far in a different thread), she can do a standing back bend (back limber?) where she can drop to a bridge from standing, she did briefly do a front limber (stand back up again from a bridge?)

My daughters back handsprings are going ok, each stage has to be done with form to get to the next stage, she has done them down a wedge mat with a light spot ( hand to tummy and back when performing them) and spotted back hand springs on the trampoline.

In warm ups my daughers group does back bends from their knees and come up again, what is that all about? This is something my daughter finds easy, they haven't done standing front or back limbers in warm ups yet, is that the next stage from doing them from their knees?
My understanding of a back limber is different. Similar to a back walkover, except when in the backbend position, they pull up intoba handstand with both legs together and then snap down to feet.

DD can do a back limber, but they don't work them very often. Personally, I hate to watch them. The girls often look like they are going to snap their backs.

I could do a BHS before my back limber, now my mental block preventing me from doing them is a different story! (I could easy do a ROBHS on floor but I'm working on my mental block)

Watching the limber video, it sort of looks like a slow motion back handspring with less of an arch shape. What my daughter does from her knees during warm ups in a limber type thing, they sit high in their knees each back and hit the floor with both hands and come back up holding shape. My daughter does more of a standing back bend, she can do a back walkover from one leg and two but not a front walkover yet, she said she is close to doing it though.

Definitely, I got my bhs before my back limber. The back limber requires a little more shoulder flexibility than the bhs, even though it looks like the same skill. Shoulder flexibility was and still is one of my main issues...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back