WAG It's Official!!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 14190
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 14190

The break is over, it's official, we now have to listen to the compulsory floor music again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again.......... It was a nice 5 and a half month break....

Ha, ha! I think I only have 1 more season of compulsory music to listen to. I heard it for 5 years with my oldest and now again with my youngest. But I see a light at the end of the tunnel and can't wait. You poor coaches who never get away from it LOL

I once thought of writing a short horror story in which the protagonist is a coach in the late stages of Alzheimer's and can't communicate anymore and won't respond to anyone. The doctors and support staff are at a loss. One day, his bitterest rival from the gym across town drops by the care facility with a CD and tells the staff that this music might stir a response from him. They play it, and he becomes alert and animated for the first time in months, but no longer has the capacity to tell them that he hates it and wants them to stop, so they keep playing it because they think he enjoys it.

Ha, ha! I think I only have 1 more season of compulsory music to listen to. I heard it for 5 years with my oldest and now again with my youngest. But I see a light at the end of the tunnel and can't wait. You poor coaches who never get away from it LOL

Ahh..you never get away from it :( I have a boy, and *I* still hear and get tired of the music. Every day. every practice.. not ready for it :)

I remember halfway through L3, and we had mixed session of L3 and L4 at a meet. I thought "OH, new music! I like this!" Um, yeah, that was short lived...
My daughter is too nervous at meets to have my husband watch, (which he is okay with, whatever keeps her confident), so one day I played the floor music for him. and played it again. and played it again. I said "Now picture sitting on wooden bleachers listening to that 60 times..."

The level 5 music does lend itself to a creepy, B-movie horror film - preferably one with Vincent Price and clowns.
That's totally what I thought! Creepy clowns on a merry-go-round...much preferred old L5's burlesque-esk style. Soooo happy Pea is entering optionals!

A friend of the family decided she wanted to attend a meet with me to keep me company. I think after the 5 repeat of the music she was ready to leave. She stuck it out, but said she would NEVER come back!

That Alzeihmer's story had me literally laughing out loud!

By the end of the meet season, I was ready to rip my ear drums out of my head... LOL But in all honesty, I really started to tune the music out. But that was only Level 3.... get to do another couple of years of the compulsories! Yikes!

The Alzheimers story is hilarious!!

We still haven't heard who is moving to Level 6 at the end of the summer, so I'm starting to prepare myself for another season of creepy Level 5 music. It has been a nice break not listening to it!

I'm glad DD didn't have to do L3, at least I missed one years worth of compulsory music..! I do like the L4 music the best out of the three, ITA that the L5 music sounds like a creepy clown horror movie soundtrack!
And.... I was just typing how at least I won't have to listen to L3 music because they work out on different days than the 4/5 team....
But I work at gym one of those days, LOL, so I'll be tortured by it anyways! Argh!

There is a 99% chance YG will get to do Xcel Gold this season, but as part of my job, I still have to sit through EVERY session to get scores and placements. It would just mean not having to be there until March In for the first session... but that extra hour will be much appreciated... AND I can leave the room if our team isn't actively competing.

I wonder why USAG doesn't use better music for their compulsory levels. The music sounds cheap and generic, which is a huge problem. If it was well written or catchy and mixed better, it probably wouldn't wear on the ears nearly as much. However, any song that is repeatedly played enough times will unavoidably become annoying.

@profmom | Thank you for that. I literally went, "HAHAHAHA!" :D :p

When I was a compulsory gymnast, my coach asked my dad to make tapes (I'm really old) of the music for all the girls on the team. He was making them when I was sleeping. I woke up and heard the compulsory music playing and was convinced I was having the worst nightmare ever!

I wonder why USAG doesn't use better music for their compulsory levels.

Aero and others; I believe that the music is well thought out, well presented and has options of instrumentation. I like the music better than the last 2 cycles. Oh come on coaches, do you not find yourself humming the music on occasion. It is like filling in for the pre-school staff on occasion and finding myself humming Wiggles songs.

OK, CoachP is right, that music can really irate you after endless playings. We have sections of the music playing and I can, just be ear know exactly what is going on. Our staff uses "Tom" to narrate in the early part of the year. We announce to the gymnasts that Tom section so-so is coming and they know. They know his voice - we know his voice -parents know his voice. At National Congress, I got Tom Koll to autography by JO book to our athletes. That page is framed and hung for our L3-5's by the stereo.

On the delivery side: WELL DONE I say! The strict 4/4 music with obvious beats for L3-4 and a bit more complex for L5 is done well. Moves that begin on downbeats and dance moves that follow the "script" are teaching dance and timing to the young gymnasts. I am old enough to recall the last 2 cycles of L4-6 (old level system). This music is improved. The dance and skill changes showed that the National Staff and Committee listened to USA-G coach suggestions. We had a say in determining the routines. The option to choose different instrumentation is a bit of relief to my ears. Each coach on our staff has a least fav and mine is the routines featuring piercing woodwind instruments. ;) But, seriously our organization did a bang-up job getting this mostly correct and rolling out to a National audience.

In the past we got to a meet site where the sound system went down during our L3 session. The option presented to our team (on FX rotation) was to wait or go without music. I said Go. The gymnasts were well prepared for their routines, warmed up and emotionally ready. The first girl got out and her team started the 4/4 clapping and it eventually morphed to humming. Al lthe girls finished to the same. The audience cheered madly and the girls and I were proud and happy with our routine performances.

Not attempting to be contrary tonight. Best, SBG -

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back