WAG Kids that hate to condition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

two words,,,, annual testing. Then post the results on the wall at the gym. TADA! Everyone is working hard!
We do physical tests three times a year, to keep track of progressions and to evaluate our trainings and methods.
Is three times too much in your opinion?

I prefer to only do thorough testing in off season, post and pre competitive ramp up. You can schedule a test here and there during pre comp or comp or if a kid wants to challenge, but it gets down to time.

Are these gymnasts of the competitive type? In that case you could try to do physical tests serveral times a year. I give a certain score for a certain result. Categories that I test are for example: strengt, explosivity, flexibility,... In our gym we plan them three times a year and I noticed that some of the girls became very competitive when training to score better next test. I expect them to score better every time, and scores are age-related.

How do you disguise your conditioning, if I may ask? Could you give a few examples of what kind of exercises you do?

This particular group is level 3...so I try to "disguise" some conditioning by adding conditioning in their workout circuit. Like a station with chin-up pullovers where they don't realize they are conditioning because they think they're just working on a skill. Holding a hollow shape in every position possible...on vault I set up a panel mat for them to push on the way back to the line...stuff like that. Basically, if there is any way for me to use part of their compulsory work and turn it into a drill or station that makes them stronger OR more flexible, that's disguised conditioning to me (and my groups). If it isn't done during conditioning, they don't realize...they think they're doing regular drills - which, they are, but it's also making them stronger...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back