WAG Level 6 beam and floor requirements

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
I'm just curious for more information on the level 6 beam and floor requirements.

For beam, what are the requirements in general, as well as what are the 'skills' you can do? Such as, what are the options other than back walkovers and back handsprings?

For Floor, just what are the requirements in general?

Thanks!

I have read that whole thread. Didn't quite answer my exact questions. Also most of the information was given before the COP came out, so I am also not sure which is set in stone by the COP and which was just proposed.

Nothing has answered what other skills you can do on beam, because it just says in group 3, 5, 7 (or whatever numbers :p ) and I'd just like to know what the other options are other than a back walkover or back handspring.
Also, is a connection required in level 6?

Honestly, your coach is the best one to answer this question specific to you. The list of possibilities is very long for each event.

Also, what is allowed by USAG and what is required by your gym may vary. For instance, there are other skills than a BHS that will fulfill the beam requirement, but your gym my require them.

No beam connection required in Level 6. Group 5/6/7 includes all variations on handstands, walkovers, handsprings, and rolls. So it seems you could do a handstand, cartwheel, forward or backward roll, HS forward roll, cartwheel, round off, BWO, BHS, tick-tock, back extension roll, dive cartwheel, front handspring, front walkover, and many others.

While you could technically fill that requirements with a cartwheel, my assumption will be that a lot of gyms will require something more difficult and progressive.

Thanks for the info fuzi!! Very helpful, exactly what I needed!

As for my gym, I compete on the Rec Team and I am 19 years old, this will be my last year competing and my entire goal in gymnastics was to have optional routines. I'm having mental blocks and am pretty scared of going backwards on beam so I was wondering what other options are.
As for something progressive, my coach knows this is my last year and I just want to have fun and enjoy while getting my own routines so she really isn't picky about what I'm competing as long as it fulfills the requirements!
Thanks everyone though!

Thanks for the info fuzi!! Very helpful, exactly what I needed!

As for my gym, I compete on the Rec Team and I am 19 years old, this will be my last year competing and my entire goal in gymnastics was to have optional routines. I'm having mental blocks and am pretty scared of going backwards on beam so I was wondering what other options are.
As for something progressive, my coach knows this is my last year and I just want to have fun and enjoy while getting my own routines so she really isn't picky about what I'm competing as long as it fulfills the requirements!
Thanks everyone though!

Best of luck!

I am thinking about competing (probably Xcel gold if I can get my stuff together) and I'll be 25 this year. I encourage anyone who wants to give one more go!

Good luck! Just remember that it takes you one time to try most skills and then you'll never want to go back to cartwheels and handstands on beam like you did in L4 and 5. Go for it! I'm 16 and a level 2, hopefully L3 this summer, and my goal is to be an optional gymnast before college.

QUOTE=GymSurvivor;234091]I have read that whole thread. Didn't quite answer my exact questions. Also most of the information was given before the COP came out, so I am also not sure which is set in stone by the COP and which was just proposed.

Nothing has answered what other skills you can do on beam, because it just says in group 3, 5, 7 (or whatever numbers :p ) and I'd just like to know what the other options are other than a back walkover or back handspring.
Also, is a connection required in level 6?[/QUOTE]
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/J.O. Code of Points/appndx08_L6-8cheatsheet2013.pdf

Ok so lets go over Beam-
1. One acro element from Group 5, 6 or 7 (Both must start & finish on beam)
2. One leap/jump requiring 180° cross or side split (Isolated or
in a series)
3. Min. of 360° turn on one foot (Isolated or
in a series)
4. Min. of "A" dismount, with or w/out hand

The acro element could be anything from a front walkover, back walkover, back extension roll,forward roll no arms,round off, back handspring, cartwheel, handstand variations, etc. and it can be isolated; not in a series
1 leap or jump with 180 but no jump/leap series required; again it can be isolated.
1 full turn; foot in any position
acro dismount- front tuck, back tuck, aerial,gainer, etc.

floor-
One Acro series (min.3
directly connected flight
elements, with or without
hand support)
2. One salto or aerial acro
element (bwd, fwd or swd) (Isolated or in 2
nd series)
3. Dance passage w/ min.
of 2 different Group 1
elements (direct or indirect connection)
- one a LEAP w/ 180°
cross or side split
4. Min. of 360° turn on one foot (Isolated or in a

1 arcro series with 3 elements with or without hand support- this could be roundoff, bhs, bhs or round off bhs bt, or could be fhs,fhs,ft. or ft, roundoff bt,etc.
1 salto in a series or not- so could be front tuck alone as a pass or you could count above series as salto requirement as long as their is no hand support
Dance passage,2 different elements no connection required 180 on 1 of them- this is so easy to fullfill- you could do a wolf jump then take 2 steps and do a split leap. do anything that goes with the music and you cant go wrong.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back