Parents Love Summer Uptraining!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
I popped into the gym on Tuesday and couldn't believe my eyes! Was proud to watch my daughter training skills I didn't even know she was working (punch front off beam, giants on low bar with no strap!, handstand pirouettes, hitting solid BHS on beam, tsuk). Last I knew, she was still in strap and had only been doing half on/half offs.

I know I've said it before, but I love the buzz in the air this time of year. All of the girls are so happy to be working on new things but frustration hasn't set in yet. It just seems like a happy happy place for all of them right now!

This is our first experience with summer uptraining (dd competed old Level 4 this past season) and it's so exciting! I can't believe how quickly the girls are picking up these new skills for new Level 4/5 and beyond.

I love it too!!! So does my daughter! She wants to go to gym everyday now! She just finished old L3 and they were working front and back tucks, multiple BHS, kips, high bar swings, vaulting over the table, etc.....They are all kicking butt and everyone is surprised at how quickly they are moving.

No expectations on where she will compete in the fall, and for the first time I DON"T CARE!!! I am just happy at how much FUN she is having!!!

This is our first official week of up training, even though DD has tried a few things earlier in the year. shes having a blast! She's training for level 10, and learning a couple of things I had to Google!

Hope all the other gymmies are having fun!

DD loves this time of year too. She's so excited to go to gym everyday and I am also surprised at what skills she is already starting to learn. I didn't think she would start on things like 1/2 twists, pirouettes and round offs on the beam for a good long time but she is already working the basics. So much fun.

I love when I have to google things ds tells me he is working on! In our case it is usually on rings because he is just training L5 and I do not understand rings. Or pommel either for that matter :)

I love up-training too, but I have to say - learning the level 8 vaults (and watching them in competition) is about the scariest thing I have ever seen!

I love up-training too, but I have to say - learning the level 8 vaults (and watching them in competition) is about the scariest thing I have ever seen!
I know what you mean about the vault! Scares me to pieces to watch. Then again I just watched a training L9 attempt her first Yeager ( know idea if that is spelled right) and decided then and there that when DD gets to that point I will make sure I am NOT there to watch :eek:

LOL, I was just going to reply that I am happy NOT to be in the gym this summer watching my dd learn L9 skills on beam and bars. Watching her crash on back layouts on beam and try to fling herself between the bars scares the pants off me.

I agree, this is a fun time of year for the girls in the gym!! My daughter is training level 7 and is coming along nicely and having a blast!! I know things will really start to fall into place more when they actually start their summer hours. Right now, they are still in school and won't start day-time summer practices till early July.

I love watching uptraining. My daughter is working seven and some eight skills. Hoping for seven in the Fall. Its nice to hear her excitement in the car after practice. I like all the conditioning drills they are doing too. Does anyone's gym incorporate dance into training? I think that's so important to have. Her hardest thing now is giants and toe on toe off and sole circle jump to high bar.

Sent from my LG-P769 using ChalkBucket mobile app

That damn sole circle jump to high bar! Lol! DD trained it last summer, and it was crazy, I tell you! She COULD NOT get it! Finally, at the Big Sister - Little Sister party her gym "big sister" said, " this is So much fun, try it!" 5 seconds later , DD did about 8 in row, no problem.

Hopefully, she won't have something crazy mental like that this summer, or else I'm going to have to call in the BIG guns! ( her gym big sis!). Lol!

Other than that, I love the low pressure summer up training and how buff DD looks with all the conditioning! I'm always asking her where the gun show s!

We (the parents at our gym) are not allowed to watch practice (we get 1 Saturday a month to watch), so I'm not seeing the crashing and burning, but dd videos all the time (for her website/college coaches) and I get to see lots of video. It's great this way because I'm only seeing the highlight of the new skills and not the cringing, scare the crap out of you stuff. She's a 10 also, so it's really getting interesting with the new skills.

Haven't seen much of practice lately, but strolled into the gym the other day a little early. Vaguely noticed the boys on trampoline and nodded to myself "hmm, wonder how those tucks are coming along?" as they are working toward L6. Next thing I know, one of them throws a pretty nice half off the tramp on to a mat! I stand there with my jaw hanging down and watch -- all of them seem to have front halfs, and two have fulls!

DD had a little more Yurchenko drama last week. After starting to flip them into the pit, she had a couple practices where she was too spooked to do more than timers, and declared herself a complete failure and went on and on and on about how much she hates vault and how she wishes they didn't have to do it. We had a loooong talk and I told her that no one is going to make her compete L8 next year if she's not good and ready. Yesterday, she bounced up to me after her dad brought her home and told me all about how she was now landing flipped ones on a mat (still in the pit). Cause and effect? Who knows, but I'll take a happy gymgirl over a whiny one any day!

Once we get to release moves on bars and saltos on beam, I will do everything humanly possible to avoid seeing those rotations. :) (And yes, I say this despite the fact that the absolute scariest thing I have ever seen personally at the kids' gym was a back handspring by a L5 gone wrong.)

I love when I have to google things ds tells me he is working on! In our case it is usually on rings because he is just training L5 and I do not understand rings. Or pommel either for that matter :)

L5 pommel is one of the uglier things I have ever seen in this sport. Those front swings where they are in rear support, ewwww! By the end of the year, we had but two guys who didn't make it look completely like a dog's dinner.

This is my first experience as a parent of an uptraining gymnast and it is so exciting! My dd won't start summer training until Tuesday, but her coach informed me today that it is likely dd will be level four by the end of summer (skip level 3). I don't really know what that means skill wise, but I look forward to being surprised at the end of the summer. I have my own workouts planned and won't stay to watch. I am certain that given the progress she made in 6 months of four hours a week this fall, she will be so strong and skilled after 9 hours a week this summer. She is thrilled and looking forward to the progress as well!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Up training starts on Tuesday for DD..... Her last competition for the season was yesterday. It's all she could talk about on the ride home..... Back to working new skills. Next up.... Standing back tucks moved to the high beam :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News