WAG More lost sponsors for USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

WOW. Given the quality of USAG’s public response, I am not that surprised to hear there seems to be a coverup.

So, one would wonder exactly when USAG was made aware of Maroney’s abuse. Reading the articles, it would seem like the settlement was finalized about a year ago?

The entire situation is disgusting.

This obviously does not look good for USAG. Wonder if there will be any penalties coming from the USOC?

WOW. Given the quality of USAG’s public response, I am not that surprised to hear there seems to be a coverup.

So, one would wonder exactly when USAG was made aware of Maroney’s abuse. Reading the articles, it would seem like the settlement was finalized about a year ago?

The entire situation is disgusting.

This obviously does not look good for USAG. Wonder if there will be any penalties coming from the USOC?

The one article says that the USOC was allegedly involved in making her sign the NDA...if anything, I would think an entity higher than the USOC would penalize them.

USAG should be decertified by the USOC and the FIG (do they have that authority?) — they’ve got no business making any decisions for minors. All the members of the board need to show that they have a modicum of decency by resigning. Every single person involved in the intentional cover up of child sexual abuse (which is exactly what the NDA is designed to do) needs to be outed and immediately unemployed.

Vile. Disgusting. Heartless. Pigs.

Does anyone else remember the birthday tweet USAG made for McKayla? The one where they praise her courage for coming forward? What kind of messed up logic is it to thank her for being brave enough to defy a non disclosure agreement that THEY MADE HER SIGN. At the time I remember rolling my eyes at the tweet, thinking it was just an attempt to salvage their image, but now it seems downright insidious. I'm currently feeling really weird about knowingly introducing my daughter to an organization that I feel a good bit of disgust for at the moment.
This is the tweet, if anyone's curious: https://twitter.com/USAGym/status/939550976029200384

Does anyone else remember the birthday tweet USAG made for McKayla? The one where they praise her courage for coming forward? What kind of messed up logic is it to thank her for being brave enough to defy a non disclosure agreement that THEY MADE HER SIGN. At the time I remember rolling my eyes at the tweet, thinking it was just an attempt to salvage their image, but now it seems downright insidious. I'm currently feeling really weird about knowingly introducing my daughter to an organization that I feel a good bit of disgust for at the moment.
This is the tweet, if anyone's curious: https://twitter.com/USAGym/status/939550976029200384

I’m disgusted too. I honestly am having thoughts of just pulling my kid out of this corrupt organization right now - at the very least at the end of the season.

While I believe that parents should be allowed to watch practices, I don't believe that that not watching leads to sexual abuse. A gym full of coaches and gymnasts is not where this abuse takes place. It takes place in secret - when kids are given special attention, privates, photoshoots, rides home, etc. Nassar with a parent in the room is very unusual.

The same holds true for school - 1 teacher with a group of students OK. 1 teacher alone with a student Not OK. In that situation, the teacher and student should be in a public space to protect them both. Same holds true for girl scouts, dance, etc.

That isn't to say that emotional abuse is taking place in practices, but I don't know that my ability to see the practice floor would cure that.

At this point I think USAG should be disbanded. Individual club gyms need a new organization to compete through instead of paying dues to these corrupt people. I'm sure no parents want to give USAG another dime. Have they even removed anyone besides Penny? Whoever was behind this negotiation with Maroney needs to be the next one out.

https://usagym.org/pages/post.html?PostID=21145&prog=

This is their response. Even if true, it just sounds hollow and not a good response.
Agree it reads hollow and totally tone-deaf. I read elsewhere, although it is still officially unverified, that the reason she filed this is because USAG was looking to hold her accountable for her October #metoo statement where she made this information public, which violated the agreement. So now they want the $100k from her and she’s looking to nullify the NDA rather than pay.

How’s that for tone deaf? o_O

Agree it reads hollow and totally tone-deaf. I read elsewhere, although it is still officially unverified, that the reason she filed this is because USAG was looking to hold her accountable for her October #metoo statement where she made this information public, which violated the agreement. So now they want the $100k from her and she’s looking to nullify the NDA rather than pay.

How’s that for tone deaf? o_O

Wow - so they publically applaud her for coming forward, while they privately try to fine her $100K for speaking out. She was a teenager when she was molested - a teenager...USAG coming after a girl for speaking out about abuse she endured as a teenager - that’s horrible. I just wonder how many others have these NDAs...maybe they are trying to fine Gabby and Aly for violating theirs too.

This is my question, I know I personally have never received a check or benefit from the USAG - I used to think they did things like make sure coaches were qualified, weren’t child molesters and that gyms were safe - but sounds like they feel none of that stuff was their responsibility. I guess maybe they make sure kids who don’t have the required skills can’t compete levels they shouldn’t, but is that really worth $55 a year?
Um....I am sure they try to enforce this, but we have heard about girls who compete levels they shouldn't when they don't have the required skills. It happens.

Wow - so they publically applaud her for coming forward, while they privately try to fine her $100K for speaking out. She was a teenager when she was molested - a teenager...USAG coming after a girl for speaking out about abuse she endured as a teenager - that’s horrible. I just wonder how many others have these NDAs...maybe they are trying to fine Gabby and Aly for violating theirs too.
UGH!

Technically she did violate it but from an optics and PR standpoint it doesn't look good. AT ALL. They should have just left it alone, did they really think this would not come out and make them look even worse than they already did?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back