WAG Moving down a level

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone know for sure if a gymnast can move back down a level once the season has begun. Example... disaster at L5... move back to 4. A good friend is in this situation. Thanks :)

I think....that as long as they did not compete at states at the higher level they can do that?? someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, but I don't think they can't move back up. I believe if you move down once the season starts, then that is the level you must compete at states.

you "declare" what level they really are when they are entered in their respective state meet. example, a gymnast can compete at both 4 & 5 during the season. when it's time to enter state meet, the coach must enter them in whatever level he/she thinks they are at that time.

and let's say that is the "fall" season" because your state has a fall and spring season. and that same gymnast had competed in the fall state meet for level 5. and the coach thinks it was a bad idea. the coach can then place that gymnast as a 4 in the spring season. but depending on the state's rules, this gymnast may not be able to be in the spring level 4 state meet cause the state may have a rule that they can only compete in 1 state meet.

In our area we have delclaration dates. In that, you can compete at the higher level until that date, but after that date you can not drop down unless it is due to injury. Also, you can not compete in more than one level's states in the same season.

Dismom, an AA score of 22. Fell from bars twice, caught high bar with one hand. Could not do two back springs, head hit the vault table. She fell from her cartwheel on beam. She's not too much better in practice. Mom is a rec coach who pushed to have her go up too early. Now, she's getting killed out there and it's so unsafe. It's painful to watch. Now, mom is really worried.

Dismom, an AA score of 22. Fell from bars twice, caught high bar with one hand. Could not do two back springs, head hit the vault table. She fell from her cartwheel on beam. She's not too much better in practice. Mom is a rec coach who pushed to have her go up too early. Now, she's getting killed out there and it's so unsafe. It's painful to watch. Now, mom is really worried.

Oh my! Yes, let's hope that poor kid can get back to L4 so she can have some sort of good season and confidence in herself. That is horrible...shame on coach mom!

Our state rules in the past indicated that a gymnast who competed in a sectional meet (a state qualifier), had to compete at that level for the rest of the season. That rule was never updated once we got rid of sectional meets, and I was never able to get clarification if that meant whatever level they competed at ANY state qualifier was the level they competed for the season...

Even if she had been declared a L5 for state meet, you should be able to petition the board to change her level as clearly it is unsafe for her in L5. This will not be an issue. The policies are in place to prevent gyms from competing down at state meet.

And shame on those coaches for putting that girl in that position. It should have been obvious in practice that she was not ready across the board.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back