moving up a level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

i have gym practice today with the level 4 girls because my teacher wasnt there. Practice was okay, but the teacher said something about moving up next year. That ruined my whole day. My coach (head coach) said alot of level 3 would be moving up soon, so i was kinda like " that includes me right?". So anyway, i have like all my skills beside front hip circle and round off backhandspring. Im like this close to having both skills, and i have alot of level 5 and 6 skills on various events. ( front tucks, ariels, back walkovers on beam etc) I've only been doing gymnastics since december, but compared to the other girls who can barely get up in a bridge, i'd say i should be one of the girls moving up. Im really upset about it and keep postive. " maybe she ment next year as this summer?" Because i truely believe im ready to move up and progress, im really sick of my level 3 class and really really want to move up. My mom doesnt seem to understand, out of all the girls in level 3 ( and theres only like maybe 20 level three girls spread out in 3 days worth of classes.) i really should be one of them moving up. i work so hard, i may not be the strongest but i defintely put in alot of energy and dedication into it. What do you think of this situation? should i just tough it out? or what? D:

It could very well mean over the Summer. Most gyms seem to move girls up over the Summer where they perfect the skills to get ready to compete them in the new school year, so this is probably what your coach meant.

Remember that there is a big difference between knowing the skills and being ready to compete them. At our gym we generally expect a gymnast has known a skill for at least 6 months before she is allowed to do it at competition. So basically the level 3's should have ALL of their level 4 skills for at least 6 months before they become level 4's. This way they are ready to do well from the start and then as they compete as level 4's they can begin learning level 5 skills.

Also it is a smart move for a gym to wait until you have ALL your skills for the next level before moving up. I have seen some difficult situations where a kid was moved up and they had all skills but 1 (for example your back handspring) and it causes major problems later on as the gymnast still struggles with this skill and then struggles to compete that apparatus, and then struggles to be ready to step further. Its better to make sure all your skills are there first.

I know it can be frustrating to wait but gymnastics is a sport that takes a great deal of patience. If you can master this patience now, it will help you to become a fantastic gymnast later on.

I think you should have a conversation with your specific coach and find what is possible for you. Otherwise, you are guessing what was intended by the comment and if it included you.

Be patient and put some time aside to talk to your coach. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back