WAG Nervous at Competitions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

KLgym

Gymnast
Hi guys. I have been a reader on ChalkBucket for a while now, but this is my first time posting a thread. To introduce myself, I am a level 10 gymnast.
The question I need help with is how to handle competitions. I actually have pretty high level skills, and complete them with very nice technique-in practice. The problem, is that when it comes to competitions, I get very nervous. So nervous in fact, it affects my performance, because I am literally shaking. So hard, it causes me to fall off the beam, or mess up a tumbling pass.
If anyone has anything to help, whether it's for during practice, before the meet, or even right before I get on the event, please give me some tips. Any help is appreciated!
Thanks

Before an event… close your eyes. Take a couple deep breaths and tell yourself, "This is just another practice. You've got this." Take another deep breath. Open your eyes. When its time, salute the judge and GO FOR IT!

Normally I would say that time will help- usually once someone is used to competing the jitters dissipate, but you've obviously already been competing for years to get to level 10. Have you been this nervous the whole time? Can you pinpoint what exactly is pressing your nerves? Is it the watching spectators (family/ friends), or your coach's reactions, or perhaps fear of a negative outcome?

Normally I would say that time will help- usually once someone is used to competing the jitters dissipate, but you've obviously already been competing for years to get to level 10. Have you been this nervous the whole time? Can you pinpoint what exactly is pressing your nerves? Is it the watching spectators (family/ friends), or your coach's reactions, or perhaps fear of a negative outcome?
I think I started getting this nervous once I got to level 8/9-so once my routines started getting harder. I think the worst part, is just as soon as someone is watching me and judging me. For example, during practice, we will sometimes show our beam routines to the coach, one by one, and I still get really nervous. Even if I tell myself it is just like practice, I still shake.

Do you practice pressure situations? For example, hit 8 in a row of a skill or have to start over? It puts some pressure on the 6th, 7th, 8th attempts because you know you'll have to start back at 1 if you miss. Or, hit your first routine or have to hit five routines. Puts pressure on the first one to hit all skills.

Do you practice pressure situations? For example, hit 8 in a row of a skill or have to start over? It puts some pressure on the 6th, 7th, 8th attempts because you know you'll have to start back at 1 if you miss. Or, hit your first routine or have to hit five routines. Puts pressure on the first one to hit all skills.
Well sometimes, we have to do 5 skills in a row stuck, and if we fall then we start over;so yes we do. And we have also done what you said with the routines, but when I do that, it's like sometimes I get nervous and sometimes I don't, but I don't know what the difference is.

At our old gym, the higher level girls would have "pressure sets". The whole gym would stop everything and have all the coaches and other gymnasts watch their routines. I think having dozens of younger kids sitting super close and yelling and cheering as well as all the coaches in the gym staring at them got them used to the pressure of competing high level skills at meets. Maybe your gym would consider something like this? Good luck! I think it's good to be a little nervous, it means you care. But don't let it overwhelm you! You can do amazing things that most humans on the planet will never be able to do. You got this!!

Lavender, patchouli, Clary sage, and orange

The girls put them on their wrists. My daughter puts on the back of her neck and behind her knees too.[

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back