WAG Never too late?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

acm1289

Coach
Gymnast
I competed as gymnast for 10 years, competed level 9 for 4 years (had some setback because of moving states), finished at the end of my senior year in high school before moving onto other things. I am currently coaching rec classes at a gym in my area and I really want to go back to competing! I'm 23 years old, it's been 6 years since I was in a gym but after only a few months just messing around at the gym I already have all my tumbling back. I already know what the commitment would entail, I'm just wondering if any gyms would even let me or take me seriously? Also wondering what moms and dads would think of their girls competing with someone 10+ years older than them, and if anyone's dd's would be totally weirded out! Due to usag rules I could only drop back to level 8 (not that I would need to go back any further) but would probably just shoot for 9 considering the age difference can be pretty significant. Just wondering if this is just some crazy fantasy or if I should go for it, gymnastics is my passion and I wouldn't be happier than if I could compete again.

Of course!:) If you want it and if you can take it, then go for it!
This is not about what others are thinking or saying, this is about your passion for the sport. I can't promise that people wont talk, but for gods sake let them talk!
You are only too old once you're convinced of it yourself.
It is true, the sport is tougher to us, who aren't little kids anymore. Learning new things takes a long long time and it's a real fight for keeping flexible. But we also don't grow anymore, we bring in expirience, discipline, the skill of self reflection....
As you already noticed, the skills you learnt as a kid are not gone, they're just sleeping. ;)
The sport -if done with passion- can do so much good for every age group!
In two words: DO IT!

There was a girl and I don't remember the exact age but in her late 20's and she competed level 6 two years ago. So go for it.

Hey I'm in the exact same situation as you! I was a level ten gymnast and I have been out of the gym for about six years I recently started tumbling classes again and the team coaches saw what I could do and asked me to join the team. I am an active duty marine and I go to practice everyday after work. I am do happy I get the chance to e back in competitions and in the gym in general you should absolutely do it it you won't regret doin it but you will regret missing the opportunity! Good luck! Any questions feel free to email me!

Thanks so much guys. I read an article about a 42 year old woman with two kids competing at level 9 here in the states. If she can do it I most certainly can too!

Good Luck and keep us posted about your progress. We used to have a fairly active adult gymnastics forum on here. Maybe some of the posters are still lurking and will connect with you.

luvmygymdtr that is so great to hear! I see where a lot of the girls I did gymnastics with ended up once they left gym (myself included) and it is not good, After 25+ hours a week for so many years and then nothing to occupy their time after. I would love to help set the example to girls early that it doesn't have to be that way.

also have the advantage that as an adult I know how to learn things the smart way now!

Definitely go for it! I have hard that even after years of break, the skills don't dissapear- they just sort of hibernate. I have had girls in my training groups who were in their 20's and no-one seemed to really notice it, they were great teammates and friends. Also, you are on one of the upper levels, so the girls there will likely be a bit older and the difference in age will be even less significant. Think of it this way, the difference between 7 and 17 (heck, even between 7 and 13) seems much much greater than that from 13 and 23 or between 14 and 20. Good Luck!

I think you will do just fine. During the Olympics other countries had more than their share of older women competing. I believe it was Romania who had an older woman competing vault. Anyone else feel free to chime in I may not have this quite right. Even so, just jump right in, have fun and good luck!

I think you will do just fine. During the Olympics other countries had more than their share of older women competing. I believe it was Romania who had an older woman competing vault. Anyone else feel free to chime in I may not have this quite right. Even so, just jump right in, have fun and good luck!

you may be thinking of Oksana Chusovitna... she is 38, has a kid and still competing elite gymnastics... she has been in the Olympics six times!!! She is definitely one of my favorite gymnasts of all time and a serious inspiration! She has quite a few skills performed nowadays that are named after her too!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back