WAG New Level 6??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
So I competed level 5 last year and this year, but I have most of my level 6 skills. I have my back walkover on beam, my tuck on floor, my freehip and baby giant on bars.

From what little information that is out about the new level 6 for next year, do you think it would be a possibility for me to compete the new level 6 next year?? I'm a little confused as to what skills this level will require. Obviously I know most of this info isn't out until May, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Don't think scoring out is an issue as I only compete at non-sanctioned meets.

My understanding is that the new level 5 is where you would be using most of these skills you described (old level 6). The new level 6 will be an optional level. I know there are others here who would have a better idea what will be required for the new level 6.

There is nothing definitive yet, but it appears from what has been published by the USAG that the new level 6 will be a little less advanced than the current level 7. Probably requiring 1 b skill instead of 2. But there just isn't much info on the optional level requirements yet.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

There is nothing definitive yet, but it appears from what has been published by the USAG that the new level 6 will be a little less advanced than the current level 7. Probably requiring 1 b skill instead of 2. But there just isn't much info on the optional level requirements yet.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Interesting that it will be less rigorous than the current. My DD, a current L6, is ready for L7 on all events but bars...and she's pretty weak on the current L6 bars (like that event alone makes her a repeat candidate for current L6, as we know how much weight that event carries the move up decision :/). I am eagerly awaiting the bars requirements for the new L6.

I honestly feel that a lot of girls struggle on bars at every level, so I'm hoping the USAG sees that trend and tones the bars down across the board, but probably not, huh? :/...

You would have to compete in a meet, for the current Level 6 or new Level 5, and score out of it, before moving to new level 6.

Have you asked your coaches, GymSurvivor? My DD has recently switched gyms, and the two gyms seem to be handling the change somewhat differently. Her old gym is more inclined to move girls up to new level 6 from current level 5, but her new gym is not proposing that as an option and is actually more likely to repeat girls from current level 5 to new level 4. It is still early, so they likely have not yet made a decision, but it is worth asking what their goals are for you.

Have you asked your coaches, GymSurvivor? My DD has recently switched gyms, and the two gyms seem to be handling the change somewhat differently. Her old gym is more inclined to move girls up to new level 6 from current level 5, but her new gym is not proposing that as an option and is actually more likely to repeat girls from current level 5 to new level 4. It is still early, so they likely have not yet made a decision, but it is worth asking what their goals are for you.

I know it's not definitive yet, but wouldn't what your old gym is planning to do essentially skipping a level? From what I've heard (and I know it's not definite), the only spot where you could skip a level/not score out is if you're going from current L6 to new L7.

I know it's not definitive yet, but wouldn't what your old gym is planning to do essentially skipping a level? From what I've heard (and I know it's not definite), the only spot where you could skip a level/not score out is if you're going from current L6 to new L7.

Yes, it would be skipping a level. I'm not sure how they would be going about it, but I believe they would have the girls score out at a single meet. Often their girls go current 6/current 7 in the same year anyway since our compulsory and optional seasons are split.

Yes, though DD's gym is planning to have some girls do the current L6 at one Spring meet in order to move them to the new L6. If they have the skills, it shouldn't be too difficult, as the routines are very similar to L5, which they just finished competing in Fall.

I have talked to my coach and she seems to think I could do the new level 6 next year. I was just curious on others opinions.

You would have to compete in a meet, for the current Level 6 or new Level 5, and score out of it, before moving to new level 6.

I don't believe so, as I said, I only compete in non-sanctioned meets.

I have talked to my coach and she seems to think I could do the new level 6 next year. I was just curious on others opinions.

I don't believe so, as I said, I only compete in non-sanctioned meets.
Here is the link to how mobility will work, with the old and new levels:
http://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Junior%20Olympics/JOCompUpdateNovDec2012.pd.

Sorry I just saw this link posted in an earlier response. The way it reads to me is that you cannot move to the optional levels, without scoring out of the compulsory ones. Meet, was the wrong word, but you will need a judge to score your level 6 routines and score the 31 requirement, in order to move to the new level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back