Parents New to this.. Seeking advice!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

caligymmom

Proud Parent
Hello!

Our dd started gymnastics and was moved to the accelerated rec class after a couple months, then invited to hotshots (the level before preteam) a month or two later. We were told she would be in hotshots for 6 months, but she was moved up again after 2 months. She is almost 5 and loves gymnastics... It's all she wants to do! I think she has the passion for it and some natural ability. My question is about whether we should keep her at our current gym, which she loves, or move her to another gym in our area that coaches elites and has a gymnast there who is one of the fab 5 from the London games. My husband feels like dd is happy and the coaches like her, so why move her, but I feel like moving to preteam at this gym is very expensive and time consuming, so why wouldn't we pursue the best training available. I know a lot of people say to just try the new gym and see, but this is a small community and my daughter is at the age where she tells everyone everything. I dont want to go that route unless I'm serious about making the move, barring anything undesirable at the new gym. At what point is it important to be at "the best" gym competitively speaking? Our current gym is good, but it seems like girls who move past level 4 or 5 tend to go to different gyms. At levels 7-10 they have only 3 or 4 girls at each level, and no elites. Does that matter right now? As far as our expecations, we have none. What is most important to me is that our dd is happy, safe, and having fun. We are not pushing for her to go all the way or be elite. If she wants that and can achieve it, i will do everything in my power to support her, but we do not have expectations for her in the sport. Dont know if that makes a difference, but thought i should include it anyway. I would appreciate any advice/ insight on how best to make this decision, thanks!

You asked if it really matters right now, as well as stated she's almost five. My feeling is no matter how great her potential, all observations, and questions, are moot due to her age. You may ask, "But what if we waste all of that amazing potential?," without realizing what her greatest gift actually is........ passion.

I think you just need to see that her enthusiasm continues, and keeps her begging for more, which seems to be the case at her current gym. I wouldn't suggest you mess with what isn't broken, and a gym that creates the setting for passion to well up in a child is certainly not broken.... at least for now.

The club who has a "Fab 5" kid training under the top coaches will most certainly be interested in your child. They may be just as interested in making her a bill payer as they are a future elite gymnast, as I'm sure they're packed with kids who are "off the hook" talented...... and have more than they can adequately coach.

My bottom line answer is to keep her where she's at, and begin educating yourself about what's available in your area so you'll know where to take her, and get it right, when the time comes that she's outgrowing the current club.

First, see if you and the hubby can take some time to go watch that other gym without the munchkin. Ideally, watch warmup and an event or two. Ideally together. Maybe try and talk to the coach before.

Then go from there, bringing the munchkin to watch a little bit and after a tryout/skill evaluation with a coach or team level.

I would seek the best environment for your child at this age rather than who has the most Team trophies unless she is some sort of phenom who is already doing handspring series and climbing the rope like a chimp without legs or doing laps on the floor in a handstand.

I guess, when it's time for team, I would want to have my daughter in a team that is strong up through level 10. It would worry me that most kids leave at level 5 or 6. Sure, some will leave just to be able to train where a super-amazing gymnast trained, but I think most would stay if they were getting the training that they needed at your gym. Gym changes are painful, especially once your daughter has started team and has bonded with the girls in her group and her coaches, and you have gotten involved in the booster club and fundraising and have made your own friends there. I would want to do as few gym changes as humanly possible. If you don't see her current gym as someplace she is likely to stay long-term, I would at least consider switching before she gets to team.

That said, I would want to do A LOT of research on the new place too. I would want to know about class sizes and teaching styles and cost and all that important stuff too. Having turned out a "Fab 5" gymnast would not make me do any less research about the gym than I would otherwise. Just because it has proved itself to be a "great gym" doesn't mean that it's the right gym for your daughter or your family.

Izzysmom -

First and foremost, sit down and take a deep breath. Your daughter is 5 and there is PLENTY of time to worry about the kind of things you are bringing up. At this early age, having fun and developing the passion is way more important than worrying about how many elites train at a gym. There is so much that happens at the very early ages that all stem from the fun factor and the passion. Gymnasts have to learn how to be coached; they have to learn how to listen; they have to learn how to stay on task with the distractions that are normal in a gym. All of this happens at the very young ages; don't jump over those processes.

The competitive gymnastics road is a VERY long road filled with many bumps and false starts. Just because she shows "natural ability" now doesn't mean that it will still be there in 2 years. You have to be at a place that can feed the passion of the very young and start building the foundation for the future. All gyms are different as athletes progress thru the competitive levels; clubs change too over time as staff changes. What is good today might not be good in a couple of years when she is ready for team.

Good Luck.

Thank you all for your input! I never did gymnastics as a kid, but was a dancer, and for dance it was extremely important to begin somewhere with excellent training, as that technique that's developed at a young age becomes the foundation for the following years of dance.

I will say that our current gym definitely feeds the passion she has for the sport. I was very focused on her foundational training, and I think it probably is more important right now that she stay where she is excited! :)

Thanks again for the advice!

I think it's good to want her somewhere that's giving her a solid foundation, but that doesn't mean only a gym with an olympian can do so. Do you think that her current training isn't giving her a good foundation?

All good advice given already, but I wanted to point out to you that is has been my experience that not all gyms that have had an elite or an olympian necessarily have great lower levels. I have had an experience with a gym that has had elites, world team member and such, but their lower level programs really don't get much attention. They are short staffed, not well run and really aren't a priority. They don't need to be because they easily get most of the optional gymnasts looking to be a top level optional from the programs in the area that have great lower levels. So what may be a great fit for a gymnast looking to be a great level 10 or elite, isn't always the best place for a 5 year old.

Everyone has had great ideas.

I think there are two sides to the coin (at least!)

If you like her gym now and they are making it fun/helping her get skills, then that is terrific.

However you say their higher levels are not that large. So seems kids are leaving.

My daughter doesn't like change. She would not have been happy to leave her gym at Level 6 or 7 to go somewhere 'better'.

So, as someone pointed out, I might look at the other gym now. If you like what you see for the young girls, then it might be something to consider. My daughter's gym friends are her best friends. They've been together since they were young....that is worth something.

As for the gyms that train Olympians/Elite, we live near one of the gyms that recent Olympian's are from :)
In the case of this gym, their compulsories are very good. Very large teams. We know a few girls who go there. The training is very different....very, very focused. No down time etc.

That's not to say my daughter's gym isn't focused. But the do have fun.

All food for thought.

Good luck!

Emilyisok:

Well that's the thing... I don't know! I was using the fact that people seem to leave our gym before the optional levels, and the fact that this other gym turns out great gymnasts as my main motivations for considering a move. Also I figured the girls would bond as they begin competition together, so I wanted to move before that happens should we decide to change gyms. Through feedback from all of you, I'm realizing that a lot more than results go into making a gym "best" for my kid. I have looked into the other gym and people seem to like it...

Wallflower:

I never thought about it that way, and I think you make some great points. Not sure about the staffing or priority level of the younger kids, but I do see that their kids are in the top 10 or 20 AA at the bigger meets, while the top girls at our gym are usually in the 60s or 70s. All of you have given me great things to think about and a new perspective with which to evaluate both gyms. The main thing that I've realized is that i dont have to make this decision now. There is still time! Lol...

If it were me, I'd watch the younger kids at the other gym, see if I liked what I saw. If I did, I would change gyms and never look back. She hasn't been doing it long enough yet or been in one group long enough to have built strong friendships (plus she's 5 and will adjust easily). Changing gyms now is a lot easier than even two years from now when she has a bunch of friends. My 6 year old has been doing fast track/ preteam for two years now and is incredibly attached to her gym and teammates. But, we picked a strong program to begin with, though we moved at age 4 from another gym where she did preschool. Now is the time to move. Of course, all of this depends on if you like what you see of the new program. At not quite 5, it should be as much about fun as possible.

You asked if it really matters right now, as well as stated she's almost five. My feeling is no matter how great her potential, all observations, and questions, are moot due to her age. You may ask, "But what if we waste all of that amazing potential?," without realizing what her greatest gift actually is........ passion.

I think you just need to see that her enthusiasm continues, and keeps her begging for more, which seems to be the case at her current gym. I wouldn't suggest you mess with what isn't broken, and a gym that creates the setting for passion to well up in a child is certainly not broken.... at least for now.

The club who has a "Fab 5" kid training under the top coaches will most certainly be interested in your child. They may be just as interested in making her a bill payer as they are a future elite gymnast, as I'm sure they're packed with kids who are "off the hook" talented...... and have more than they can adequately coach.

My bottom line answer is to keep her where she's at, and begin educating yourself about what's available in your area so you'll know where to take her, and get it right, when the time comes that she's outgrowing the current club.

The bold part would be my concern with the "other" gym. It's very easy to get lost in the crowd. Especially in a gym full of very talented kids when your child is 5.

I also agree it is a great idea to know the gymnastics community in your area. My daughter is an optional gymnast and I follow most of the better gyms in our area through social media, meet results and talking with other parents. We are not leaving our gym now and we might never leave. BUT if we do need to leave I want to know the history, successes, failures and culture of these other gyms.

I am watching this thread closely.... There always seems to be a LOT of concern on the part of parents about finding a gym where your DD will be happy 6or7years from now.

The problem with that, is, if you look at the USAG numbers statistically, it is extremely unlikely that your DD's "best friend" in pre-team will even be in gymnastics in 4 or 5 years.

If you look at chalk bucket posts, coaches DO leave gyms (GASP!). Families have been known to follow them! You can do a search on this....

So .... The big question about your current gym now .... Does it suit your family and does your DD enjoy gymnastics NOW? Is the program safe? And is proper form stressed for team kids? And now, as of Aug 31, coaches need certification.

I know everyone freaks out over gym changes, and says better sooner than later - but I remember 1 post on chalkbucket from a family leaving a gym of an Olympian because the team kids were getting less than adequate coaching due to the demands of the elite program. Rec is where the money is for a gym, and if they have an Olympian, that's the fame, o the regular team could get list in the shuffle, I guess .

I pulled my daughter out of a fairly solid, but more "fun" type of gym (still a good gym) to a new gym that was opening closer to my house that was known for "winning". Jury is still out if it was a good idea. In hindsight, we should have stayed where we were a while longer until she had matured. Her new gym is very strict, not so much fun, and they get frustrated with her a lot... she was never a "problem child" before. Whereas she used to shine, she's now at the bottom of the barrel so to speak, dropped down a level, and I think feeling a little discouraged. My vote, from a mom who's recently been there, stay where you are a while. She's not even 5 yet, enjoy the ride where you're at.... you have a lot of years to switch.

I've read through all of these and can understand all sides of this topic. I have also been in your position except my daughter was older by about a year.
Whatever you decide I advise that you stick with it. What harm is there in going to the other gym and checking their program out. You mentioned that the gym you are currently at will be costly, but the the other gym may cost more. The thing is, if you are even thinking of going down this road (competitive gymnastics) it will be costly.. Both financially and time consuming. If your daughter has a passion and is showing some talent I would give her the best opportunity possible.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

you think compulsory gymnastics is expensive? Just wait until you get to optionals! Our costs tripled when you factor in the multiple out of state trips each season. Just open your bank account and smile!

Everyone is right, and here is my two cents. I didn't understand gymnastics from a hole in the wall when we started. Other people noticed my DD had a certain something and other parents always commented to me. Then one day our gym told me they would develop her when she was 8 or 9. That sounded reasonable, except that she was always asking for more. By 5 she was ready for level 4 competition but was a typical 5 year old maturity-wise. Still, I listened to the parents that said she had potential and I asked DD what she wanted to do with her gymnastics. She said "be in the Olympics." So, I sought out a gym that could get her there, I asked a lot of questions and made the decision for my DD to try the other gym.

At 5 I had no idea if she would still be in gymnastics in a year, and certainly didn't have stars in my eyes about the Olympics. BUT, I figured if she didn't change her mind, then I needed to give her the best possibility for achieving her goal. I moved her to the elite gym. They evaluated her 5 year old self and said yes, they wanted her. She is now 9, on National TOPS team, and training level 8/9/10 skills. She loves the sport more everyday because she is in a place that believes in her as much as she believes in herself. That was the key to her happiness.

She may not be a gymnast next year but she knows that she had the best training possible at a time when that was what she wanted. The other gym would have her in level 5 or 6 this year and would not have trained her in TOPS. She may have been happy there, but she may not have reached her full potential. The jury is out on her future but I made the unpopular decision and have never regretted it. Neither has she.

I also think that true talent doesn't get lost in the crowd. If she goes to an elite gym, and she is full of talent, they will see it and train it. They will also train her mind to handle the sport form a young age.

So either choice could be right. And either choice could be wrong. Sometimes we go with our gut and take a leap of faith...
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Oh yes, meet director! DDs coach is talking about moving BOTH girls to Optionals in the fall! I said "Whatever you think is best, you're the expert! I just write the checks and drive the mini- van." He laughed! I don't think he realized I was half-serious!

My input has been reduced to a thumbs up sign and shouting "Great job, honey!" - NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back