WAG New USAG Dr.—or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Right. I was really trying to reserve judgement as far as my opinion on whether or not USAG should be decertified. Of course it would be a huge mess if that happens. However, it really seems like the organization is beyond repair at this point. And is Li Li just a glorified figurehead? I am not impressed.

Anyone who applies for a high level job at USAG and gets the job is literally destroying his or her life. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Noone is ever going to succeed in that organization.. Is is a no win situation. Unsalvagable is the perfect word.

Given the fact that there is no requirement for folks to prove or support anything they say or tweet on social media. There is nearly 0 oversight.

Far too many lives are being torn up because someone just tweets something, true or not. Defamation and liable are not a concern in a digital social media world. Wanna take someone out, post something. Doesn't matter it its a complete fabrication

Low on cash start a go fund me, no one is going to check to if you are actually sick or homeless or whatever circumstance you claim actually happened.
This is happening in all places now, someone at work don't like you, they post something in social media;
Same is happening in politics, neighborhoods, churches, other sports, etc.
It is now you are guilty until proven innocent instead of the other way.

This is happening in all places now, someone at work don't like you, they post something in social media;
Same is happening in politics, neighborhoods, churches, other sports, etc.
It is now you are guilty until proven innocent instead of the other way.
Yes it’s actually rather frightening

I actually am really impressed with the new CEO. She is a former gymnast who can still do an over -split. She has amazing credentials and a ton of guts for taking on this role. She’s not perfect but the fact that she cares enough to take on the challenge when she had a good job and could clearly get a different one and was willing to dive into this mess is admirable and shocking.

I actually am really impressed with the new CEO. She is a former gymnast who can still do an over -split. She has amazing credentials and a ton of guts for taking on this role. She’s not perfect but the fact that she cares enough to take on the challenge when she had a good job and could clearly get a different one and was willing to dive into this mess is admirable and shocking.
I’m not sure I agree...yet. I’m less concerned with an oversplit and more concerned about seeing true change within the organization and the overall culture—not just a PR figurehead. Under the circumstances, I wasn’t very impressed with some recent comments she made in an interview and then what seemed like a half hearted apology with the excuse of just not being used to her role. I don’t think she’s totally hopeless at this point, but I’m not impressed.

I’m not sure I agree...yet. I’m less concerned with an oversplit and more concerned about seeing true change within the organization and the overall culture—not just a PR figurehead. Under the circumstances, I wasn’t very impressed with some recent comments she made in an interview and then what seemed like a half hearted apology with the excuse of just not being used to her role. I don’t think she’s totally hopeless at this point, but I’m not impressed.

I agree, her comments weren’t the best, but let’s give her a chance. I’m more impressed that she was even willing to attempt to deal with this accumulation of issues ( or more frankly, this cluster something).

As Spencer at BBS points out, his claim that he was never in an ownership role with New Heights is . . . odd. His statement read like the first draft of the email that you reread and revise before you send it to your best and most trustworthy friend to help you tone it down five more notches.

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2011/10/12/GYM_1012114352.aspx

I totally agree. His explanatory email was the absolute worst and his willingness to throw everyone under the bus is very questionable. I wouldn't be surprised if his current academic contract is not renewed if he doesn't have tenure. Something isn't right here.

I totally agree. His explanatory email was the absolute worst and his willingness to throw everyone under the bus is very questionable. I wouldn't be surprised if his current academic contract is not renewed if he doesn't have tenure. Something isn't right here.

I believe I read somewhere he had been given tenure just before accepting the USAG position.

As Spencer at BBS points out, his claim that he was never in an ownership role with New Heights is . . . odd. His statement read like the first draft of the email that you reread and revise before you send it to your best and most trustworthy friend to help you tone it down five more notches.

https://bgsufalcons.com/news/2011/10/12/GYM_1012114352.aspx
Agree! That’s nuts to publicly post all of that!
#TeamNobody
I love this!

I hate USAG more than anyone, and yes they are an absolute dumpster fire, but this Nyman guy is an equal disaster and I am stunned people are so rabidly jumping to defend him. He continues to state he had nothing to do with the gym, but all one has to do is read the comments on his Facebook post from New Heights parents and it becomes extremely obvious that he is very, very involved in the gym and has been for a long time. Multiple parents discussing HIS influence on their child's gymnastics over the course of long careers. He's as shady as they are and of all the settlements USAG will be required to pay, I doubt this will be one of them.

I hate USAG more than anyone, and yes they are an absolute dumpster fire, but this Nyman guy is an equal disaster and I am stunned people are so rabidly jumping to defend him. He continues to state he had nothing to do with the gym, but all one has to do is read the comments on his Facebook post from New Heights parents and it becomes extremely obvious that he is very, very involved in the gym and has been for a long time. Multiple parents discussing HIS influence on their child's gymnastics over the course of long careers. He's as shady as they are and of all the settlements USAG will be required to pay, I doubt this will be one of them.

Yes. This guy is super super shady. I don't know why anyone on this thread is defending him.

To be clear, I wasn't defending him. I just feel that the sequence of events he's detailing regarding USAG is probably true, because it fits their character.

I can't believe he put the public spotlight on a trainer who made a sexual harassment claim. That was really gross and the fact that he would do it, alone, shows he doesn't have the right character to be the person the gymnasts need.

Personally, unless Li Li does something egregious, I'm willing to give her more time before I decide anything.

And also regarding the gym...maybe he was owner, or not. Maybe they are abusive, or not (I'm bitter about the % of abusive gyms, so I always tend to assume the worst.) But if that's their excuse, the fact that USAG ONCE AGAIN did not properly vet a hire is just astounding. What is the definition of insanity again.....?

And also regarding the gym...maybe he was owner, or not. Maybe they are abusive, or not (I'm bitter about the % of abusive gyms, so I always tend to assume the worst.) But if that's their excuse, the fact that USAG ONCE AGAIN did not properly vet a hire is just astounding. What is the definition of insanity again.....?
THIS times a thousand! Equally bitter about abusive gyms and USAG’s continued gross mismanagement and handling of abuse complaints. I personally know that they totally “lost” all information from a fairly large complaint with multiple witnesses. Just “lost” all of the statements and info. Then 9 months later with some prompting from a complainant attempted to go back and gather again all of the statements and info. I guess so they could lose it all again?? This was well after the Larry Nassar debacle and was through USAG SafeSport. Nope. No bitterness here. :rolleyes: I have to say this guy’s spewage is unfortunately spot on that the organization wants to sweep stuff under the rug and get back to medals and money. YET, he sounds shady as all get out too! Again, #TeamNobody!

And why are people coming out in public support of Li Li Leung. She totally screwed this up and the organization cannot weather the storm or boneheaded screwups.

I also hope it didn't sound like I was defending him. I know absolutely nothing about him, his gym, or the circumstances around the complaints made. My point was just that whatever the truth is-- if he's an abuser or an awesome guy or anywhere in the middle-- USAG was wrong. At every stage of the hiring process. As they have been for many, many people in the last few years. And in terms of Li Li, I would argue that she's getting time. Her time is right now, and she needs to realize that. I'm all for cute pictures of her with the national team and it's great that she's involved in that way, but that has to be a small component of much bigger changes she enacts. If his statement is to be believed and her primary goal is restoring USAG's image then that's really bad.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back