WAG Not ready for upcoming meet!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gymnast123

I'm pretty scared right now. I have the first meet of the season on Friday, and then the freshman invite meet (I'm a HS gymnast) on Saturday! I'm a freshman competing beam, and since the high school requirements are different from club, I had to make a whole new routine. The thing is, I'm having trouble landing my new routine, and haven't brought it up to the high beam yet. The main skills that are giving me trouble are my full turn and cartwheel swing through cartwheel. I think I'm scared of bringing them up to the high beam because I've split the beam on my cartwheels so many times on the medium beam and my full turn isn't as consistent as I'd like. So I guess what I'd like advice on is how to not be scared of splitting the beam. :laughing:

Practice, practice, practice! Do lots of them on the low beam until you feel good, followed by lots on the medium beam, then head to the high beam to do lots. It takes time, some kids can work their way to the high beam in a day and others take weeks. It's all about building confidence and getting up to the high beam knowing you are capable of landing the skill without a problem.
I have a bunch of girls working cartwheels and there are, naturally, lots of falls. I would say straddling the beam is, by far, the least common type of fall. Good luck!

Are you looking for the beam when you land? Think about landing that first foot on the first cartwheel before worrying about the second cartwheel. For the full turn - be tight with your belly and arms and stay in releve! Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back