Parents Olivia Dunne

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before but I have kind of a weird question.

I was reading about dunne and how she mace level 10 at 10 (youngest ever I guess?), had a ton of other accomplishments/records. Why did she go to college instead of the Olympics (then college if she wanted). What made someone like Simone Biles' or Kaitlyn Ohashi different? What was their trajectory? I'm guessing "elite" is Olympics. Then underneath is college. Why wasn't Dunne considered elite?

Also - if you are elite, do the families just pick up and move to an Olympic training gym location? It looks like the Biles family built their own giant gym?!?!

Just trying to learn! Dunne makes a ton of money, probably more than if she were training for the Olympics? What are people's opinions of her?

Many D1 athletes were/are elite. There are only 4 spots for the Olympics every 4 years and very few spots for national teams so even a top 25 gymnast in the country may never reach a national team. Many of those gymnasts will choose the college path after that.

Many D1 athletes were/are elite. There are only 4 spots for the Olympics every 4 years and very few spots for national teams so even a top 25 gymnast in the country may never reach a national team. Many of those gymnasts will choose the college path after that.
Thank you!

Please please please do not read about Livvy Dunne to learn about gymnastics. Its hard to separate the social media influencer persona and all the fervor about her from the actual gymnast. Pick your college gymnastics team and find one of the stars on the team to learn their path. In regards to her specific gymnastics journey, you will find many themes that folks talk about on here, the main being that the gymnastics journey is a marathon that can have ups and downs with so many variables that can impact outcomes:
  • While rare, its not unusual to see a few L10 gymnasts at such young age.
  • There are a fair number of gyms that train elite gymnasts across the country, one can train elite but still not be an elite gymnast. And just because you are elite doesnt put you on the national team, you have to be selected or qualified based on competition results. Dunne was a junior elite who was on the junior national team.
  • Injuries can and often do play a significant role, particularly at that elite or super-young L10 level. Dunne had injuries (and a growing social media empire) that contributed to her selecting college over an Olympic run and has continued to deal with injuries in college leading to an underwhelming college career.
  • Dunne caught lightning in a bottle, it was perfect timing for her (right place, right time, right circumstances) she already had a decent social media following due to her elite career but then covid hit and she combined creative videos as an attractive young woman (yes, plenty of creeps) that blew up her social media outside of the gymnastics community and allowed her to monetize her platform. She is an exception in regards to gymnasts making $.

Why did she go to college instead of the Olympics (then college if she wanted). What made someone like Simone Biles' or Kaitlyn Ohashi different?
Like pretty much every Olympic team you have to qualify for your spot or be chosen. She simply wasn't good enough for the Olympic team but still is a very accomplished and one of the best gymnast in the US/World.

Additionally in all sports success at lower levels doesn't indicate success at the top level. Thousands of local and regional champions and all-stars don't ever make it to the pros or even college. Even award winners in college don't always make it in the professional level or Olympics (see Heisman winners as an example, the best college football player doesn't always make it in the NFL).

Less than 10 women qualify every 4 years to the Olympics (I'm including alternates in this number). The US has such a deep field of talent that the 'best' don't always get to go depending on age, international competition experience, injuries and simply not having the 'right' mix of strengths compared to other athletes (sometimes it comes down to who can put up the highest score on one or two events).

And then some elites drop back to L10 after trying it out and realizing that elite competition is not what they thought it'd be (and by that point the athlete has attracted much interest from top D1 teams). College isn't for everyone either so some opt out of NCAA all together.

The journey is different for everyone.

Please please please do not read about Livvy Dunne to learn about gymnastics. Its hard to separate the social media influencer persona and all the fervor about her from the actual gymnast. Pick your college gymnastics team and find one of the stars on the team to learn their path. In regards to her specific gymnastics journey, you will find many themes that folks talk about on here, the main being that the gymnastics journey is a marathon that can have ups and downs with so many variables that can impact outcomes:
  • There are a fair number of gyms that train elite gymnasts across the country, one can train elite but still not be an elite gymnast. And just because you are elite doesnt put you on the national team, you have to be selected or qualified based on competition results. Dunne was a junior elite who was on the junior national team.
  • Injuries can and often do play a significant role, particularly at that elite or super-young L10 level. Dunne had injuries (and a growing social media empire) that contributed to her selecting college over an Olympic run and has continued to deal with injuries in college leading to an underwhelming college career.
  • Dunne caught lightning in a bottle, it was perfect timing for her (right place, right time, right circumstances) she already had a decent social media following due to her elite career but then covid hit and she combined creative videos as an attractive young woman (yes, plenty of creeps) that blew up her social media outside of the gymnastics community and allowed her to monetize her platform. She is an exception in regards to gymnasts making $.
Thanks. IMO (I hope I don't incite controversy here), she seems to humble brag about herself. So when she was talking about how she was the first to do this or that, I wondered why she didn't try for the Olympics. I wish women athletes would be able to build a social media empire based on their skills and personality, instead of being attractive. She cultivates that though, bc s** sells (not sure what words I can put on here lol).

It was curiosity more than anything else, bc my dd is still only 5. You're right about Dunne though, she hit lightning in a bottle and is making bank of her looks and cutesy girl next door persona. Thanks for answering my questions!

Dunne first competed L10 as an 11yr old and given her scores in 9/10 at that time, looks like she was rushed through the levels just to get to 10 and elite. Did that contribute to all the injuries she suffered? possibly. She made junior elite and eventually the National team but she was never going to make the Olympic team and she/her coaches knew it. Going elite did set her up for college recruiting, which is the main reason so many young gymnasts decide to dip their feet in the elite world.

Dunne first competed L10 as an 11yr old and given her scores in 9/10 at that time, looks like she was rushed through the levels just to get to 10 and elite. Did that contribute to all the injuries she suffered? possibly. She made junior elite and eventually the National team but she was never going to make the Olympic team and she/her coaches knew it. Going elite did set her up for college recruiting, which is the main reason so many young gymnasts decide to dip their feet in the elite world.
I didn't know that. That's what scares me about gymnastics is seeing all the "big girls" as my dd calls them, walking around with braces, getting concussions. The parents say "oh it wasn't a bad year, she just broke her collarbone and fractured her wrist"

I didn't know that. That's what scares me about gymnastics is seeing all the "big girls" as my dd calls them, walking around with braces, getting concussions. The parents say "oh it wasn't a bad year, she just broke her collarbone and fractured her wrist"
I'm really hoping you're exaggerating. Some level of minor injuries is to be expected (though coaches should still do what they can to minimize it), but if multiple significant injuries per year doesn't seem out of the ordinary at your gym, I'd start looking for a new gym yesterday

Last edited:
My dd is an elite gymnast and I’ve seen my fair share of injuries at the gym, but nothing like you’re describing. Mostly twinges and tweaks. There have been a few that have ended up with a stress fracture here and there, but absolutely nothing like that….

Concussions (plural) should definitely be a red flag. Gymnastics has its more common injuries and ailments - sprained ankles, Osgood schlatter, pulled hamstrings etc. But concussion shouldn't be one of them!

Concussion is more serious than many people are aware of, and concussion damage is cumulative so once you have had one it is even more important not to have another. A concussion injury in gymnastics should be rare and represent a freak accident. And gyms should have a strict concussion protocol that involves not returning to sport after any bump to the head until a doctor has cleared the athlete. It should never be considered an unsurprising side effect if doing lots of gymnastics.

Your post reads like she is not all that talented and got lucky, “lightening in a bottle“

She got to L10 in 2013, 10 yrs ago. She was 10. And she is scoring 9.9s and 9.8s on bars despite injuries at LSU and SEC school that went to the NCAA championship.

Is she in Biles league, no, not many are. But then not many make to compete at a NCAA championship. She is a talented gymnast

Your post reads like she is not all that talented and got lucky, “lightening in a bottle“

She got to L10 in 2013, 10 yrs ago. She was 10. And she is scoring 9.9s and 9.8s on bars despite injuries at LSU and SEC school that went to the NCAA championship.

Is she in Biles league, no, not many are. But then not many make to compete at a NCAA championship. She is a talented gymnast
She would not be making the money she is if she looked differently. That has nothing to do with her prior gymnastics ability.

Did you read my post? I was not referencing her gymnastics ability. I clearly point out she was a talented gymnast, although a mediocre college gymnast based on her body of work in college. I was referencing her influencer explosion. You ever hear the saying "luck is where preparation meets opportunity"? that is what I mean with lightning in a bottle. Sure she has talent in regard to creating content, but hundreds of thousands of people online do. She leveraged her gymnastics following to a broader audience right when the audience was seeking new content during COVID (opportunity). Geez.

You think 9.8-9.9 on bars is mediocre?
Yes, given that she has competed a handful of times on one event. I guess you could say she has potential, but dont all gymnasts on college teams have potential? I dont think anyone would classify her college career as successful. I hope you understand the distinction, I'm not saying she is not a talented gymnast, obviously given her previous accomplishments in elite, but in college, she has been underwhelming.

I hope you understand the distinction, I'm not saying she is not a talented gymnast, obviously given her previous accomplishments in elite, but in college, she has been underwhelming.
Agreed it's not a dig, it's the reality of NCAA gymnastics. For every athlete that has been a surprise standout in NCAA, there are at least three who never showed their true/anticipated ability for a multitude of reasons. Ideally everyone will thrive and show their talent- but it's gymnastics and unfortunately, everyone is not always at their best.

Another example is the former AA world champion who has barely contributed to their team so far on paper. We all know there have been injuries - but the actual score contribution to the team is way below what many had expected/hoped.

Yes, given that she has competed a handful of times on one event. I guess you could say she has potential, but dont all gymnasts on college teams have potential? I dont think anyone would classify her college career as successful. I hope you understand the distinction, I'm not saying she is not a talented gymnast, obviously given her previous accomplishments in elite, but in college, she has been underwhelming.
So, is your definition of success getting a 10? So only gymnasts that get 10's are good? I think you are continuing the perception that unless you are perfect you are not a good gymnast. Personally, I think that does a disservice to all gymnasts, the ones who get 10's and the ones who "only" get a 9.8 or 9.9. This thought process continues the perception of little girls having to be perfect in order to be considered good. Do we put the same perfection standards on male college gymnasts? I don't think we do, but it could be that because men's college teams use the execution/difficulty scoring system, they never get 10's or the equivalent so they don't have the same perfection standards. Just another thing women have to deal with in order to be successful. Just for this perfectionism issues, I am in favor of all women's gymnastics (maybe not compulsories and lower-level Xcel) moving to the same Olympic scoring system that the men use. It would take the "having to be perfect" right out of the conversation.

I would say that most other colleges would love to have OD on their bars team. Perhaps not the top 5 teams because they are already stacked, but 95% of the other college teams would want her on their team. Any gymnast that makes a top 10 D1 women's gymnastics team is an amazing athlete, and they deserve some respect just getting there. The fact that her career has been somewhat limited because of injuries doesn't make her a mediocre gymnast. It means she is having a tough time staying healthy enough to reach her full potential. There are thousands of college athletes that are in the same position in all sports. It doesn't suddenly make them mediocre.

In terms of her media success, she has done a good job managing that side of her career. I have often wondered if it did affect her gymnastics and we will never know for sure. I often wonder what her teammates feel when she gets all the attention. I have seen her TV commercials and she is well spoken, looks great, and I understand why she is so popular. Personally, I don't really like all the media hype, but that is somewhat out of her control. The mobs of guys trying to get her attention when she comes off a team bus and is at gymnastics meets is very disturbing to me. But then again guys go crazy for good looking women, but that is a whole other situation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back