WAG Question about calluses

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pinkos98

Gymnast
Why do some people say to shave down calluses? When I first heard of it I thought my teammate was joking. Shouldn't we be building up calluses?

no. they must be shaved down at some point. when they get to big, and the callous is 'harder' than the skin beneath it, the friction rubs the callous against the skin beneath it and cause quite a rip. not the normal kind, but the kind the size of a quarter that bleeds deep.

no. they must be shaved down at some point. when they get to big, and the callous is 'harder' than the skin beneath it, the friction rubs the callous against the skin beneath it and cause quite a rip. not the normal kind, but the kind the size of a quarter that bleeds deep.

oh okay thanks :) How do you know when to shave them down?

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what do you shave them with? A razor? Like you're shaving your legs?
'

yes, a razor. but not the kind you use to shave your legs. but a coach should do it not the athlete unless that athlete is older. please don't ask what older is. they also have the pumice stone. you can sand them down also.

Butter knife works well.

Quite honestly when you are in the shower, use your fingernail or thumbnail to scrape off the skin on the callous that looks all white. No need for a butter knife or dremel.

yes, a razor. but not the kind you use to shave your legs. but a coach should do it not the athlete unless that athlete is older. please don't ask what older is. they also have the pumice stone. you can sand them down also.

So what you're saying dunno, is that I shouldn't give my 6 yr old a razor and tell her to shave down her calluses? :p

Not to hijack, but since the topic is "questions about calluses", do some people just get calluses more than others? DD is a level 7, in the gym nearly 20 hours a week, doing fairly well on bars, and while her hands are definitely callused, the calluses don't seem to grow very big, they stay fairly soft, and she hasn't had a rip in ages and ages. She doesn't have her giants yet. Does getting new skills on bars cause an increase in calluses/rips? When she was at the Y she would rip when she went to camp and would have a sudden jump in the # of hours she was practicing, but last year, coming from the private gym and increased weekly hours, she didn't even rip at camp.

I really think it depends on the individual child's sensitivity. My Dd is a L9 and both of her hands and wrists stay ripped up. It's awful. She started ripping in L4 and has never stopped. She has friends who rarely ever get rips.

She also "rips" on the tops of her thighs. The kid leaves a blood trail wherever she goes. Lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back