Parents Reporting injuries to parents..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

Does your gym report injuries received in training to parent? If so then do they report minor bumps and bruises or more "severe" injuries?

My youngest had a freak "accident" in the gym last session, she was on the high bar over the pit doing swings, when she went to re grasp (or re grip) she missed and fell into the pit and landed on her front, she said her head jarred up and it hurt her lower neck/upper back. The coach apparently did some checks including asking how she landed, wether she has her arms in front to break her fall a little (she did) or land with her hands behind her (she didn't), checked her movement and then asked her if she wanted to sit out the rest of the bar rotation (she did), dd carried on with the rest of session as normal (conditioning, floor and cool down).

The coach never informed me of dd's injury, if it wasn't for dd then I would have known, I did stop the coach after I found out to ask what happened, she seemed happy with the care and "treatment" she gave to dd, dd didn't have a ice pack. This is my dd's (and mine) first experience of that type of injury. Is it common for the coach to act not concerned over this type of injury and not inform the parents?

I am not too worried, just curious. Dd is still a little sore today, it has eased a little she said but might not go dancing tomorrow as she finds moving her arms a certain way caused some pain (like lifting her arms over her head pulling back a little and trying to swing her arms behind her, she can lift them with no pain and lift them to the side and she can move ok, she can put her hands on her head ok, just not behind her). I am not experienced and I am hoping it is just a pulled muscle pain from the fall.

Typically, I hear about injuries from D, unless it is something that could possibly require a trip to the emergency room. Coach does not come out to tell us about things unless they are big, or maybe chronic.

The only one I ever had a coach tell me about was ds' knee. Since it was bad enough that it was swollen and he was still limping after practice, it was concerning. (the beginning of his Osgood Schlatter's.)

What we will sometimes get is "coach told me I need to get X because Y has been hurting." I know our program director will sometimes get after parents to take their boys in to see an orthopedist if he thinks there's some underlying repetitive stress thing going on. Good thing your coach caught the OS, Sce!

I believe the parents should always be notified (at the end of class, unless an emergency)if their children required ice, rest, or some other treatment. I think it should be standard practice. I don't want parents learning about injuries from their children, I want to be able to answer any questions they might have, and it allows the parents to make an informed decision as to what further treatment they may deem necessary.

I believe the parents should always be notified (at the end of class, unless an emergency)if their children required ice, rest, or some other treatment. I think it should be standard practice. I don't want parents learning about injuries from their children, I want to be able to answer any questions they might have, and it allows the parents to make an informed decision as to what further treatment they may deem necessary.

I think that is a good idea...but my son uses ice a lot....not injured, but uses it on his shoulder between events. A couple others might ice at some point during practice. They get done at 9pm. maybe with the younger kids, this is necessary, but by optionals, it becomes really difficult to keep track of who iced what, etc. They are older, also, so some responsibility lies with them.

Thanks for the replies, I don't expect the coach to tell me about every little knock dd has or even come out in the middle of class unless serious, I was just concerned that the coach didn't say anything after class (the coach had time but was busy just chit chatting with another parent) as it was a neck injury, dd told me about it. Dd seems ok in herself but just tender. If it was anything too bad then she would be unable to move a lot without pain, dd has refused pain killers so can't be that bad. I am going to keep any eye on dd over the weekend.

I think that is a good idea...but my son uses ice a lot....not injured, but uses it on his shoulder between events. A couple others might ice at some point during practice. They get done at 9pm. maybe with the younger kids, this is necessary, but by optionals, it becomes really difficult to keep track of who iced what, etc. They are older, also, so some responsibility lies with them.
I would be very concerned if any of my athletes needed to ice on a regular basis, but in that case, I would really make sure that I spoke to the parents so we could come to some sort of understanding as to why that is necessary. Good luck to your son.

That is why I stopped the coach on the way past, I wanted to know what happened and how she fell incase I needed to seek further "help", touch wood. I don't at the moment and hopefully everything will be fine.

I would be very concerned if any of my athletes needed to ice on a regular basis, but in that case, I would really make sure that I spoke to the parents so we could come to some sort of understanding as to why that is necessary. Good luck to your son.

Oh..right now it is a sore shoulder. So he is using it a lot. Just lots of little things. Banged his toe on a pommel, hitting himself in the nose with his knee, etc. Nothing big. Just lots of little.

I would not expect the coach to tell me about this type of mishap, but I would expect my athlete to. DDs hopefully tell me if they need to ice or massage at home per coach instruction (but they are 13 & 14, I feel comfortable trusting them about this stuff).

I would not expect the coach to tell me about this type of mishap, but I would expect my athlete to. DDs hopefully tell me if they need to ice or massage at home per coach instruction (but they are 13 & 14, I feel comfortable trusting them about this stuff).

My dd is a lot younger, turned 8 the day of her injury, she is also kind of new to team practice, been going 10 months. Very impressed with how she dealt with it, she didn't come out crying or sit out the entire session, she said a few tears fell before she got out of the pit, she loves gymnastics and it would take a lot to make her feel like she wants to leave practice.

Our gym probably would have shared with us but Little Bit is 5. They know she is notorious for getting her gym injuries incorrectly prioritized...she came out one day and showed me where she bumped her knee on a bench during break. Coach came out a few minutes later asking if she shared that she split the beam in her cartwheel---huge bruise there but she was more concerned about the knee bump

I would be concerned if it was a neck injury because if her neck is flipping back that can also cause a concussion.

I'm not sure if concussion training is required in all states, but in our state it's mandatory at schools that kids and parents take a training (online) and school coaches report.

While we are talking a club sport, it is still important and coaches here have it on their radar.

Hmm, tough if the kid seems normal a few minutes later. I probably would have mentioned it in this case though. However the kids say something hurts all the time but then if you ask if they want to sit out they say no or sit for like half of the next kids turn...in those cases I don't usually worry about it. If they sit out an entire rotation or they are constantly complaining about something (whether it seems real or not based on their other behavior) then I tell the parents.

I coach pre-team/TOPs and "my" girls range from 4-10yo. I always try to tell the parents if something happens during practice that makes the kid sit out and/or grab an ice pack. Sometimes it's a twisted ankle, other times someone falling/sliding during rope climbs.... Fairly minor stuff, but as a coach I feel I'm obligated to tell the parent.
The funny thing is that as a parent of a 10yo team gymnast, I don't feel like the coach has to tell me about little spills. I'd appreciate a heads up if she took a more serious fall or something, but she's plenty responsible enough to tell me if she twisted her ankle or something during practice.

I'm confused. She fell into the pit? Is that an injury?
Perhaps I'm jaded as my DD is accident prone. Unless there is a serious injury, I don't need a coach to tell me. DD has fallen from a tap swing gone wrong, lost her grip at top of the rope, and gotten numerous other bumps and bruises.
I'm not concerned with her icing nor bloody noses.
As long as proper care is administered, I'm good. The gym only needs to inform me about emergencies.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back