Parents Reporting injuries to parents..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Noooo @ character!

It's one of those words I read before I heard, so I always see it as cha-rac-ter, when I know fine well it's ca-rac-ter.

Really annoys me...

Reactions: sce
My dd is known to 'hide' injuries from me in order to keep competing/practicing. She also has a high pain tolerance. Essentially, if she cries at the gym over an injury, then to-date, that means something is broken. Her first injury at home, was slight enough we didn't even ice it, but 3 days and an x-ray later it resulted in a cast for 4 weeks. Now, her coaches know to ice there, call me and expect a break if she cries. Just last Thursday she rolled her ankle in practice. She would never have told me, but I got not one, but 3 personal phone calls (all diff gym staff ) making sure I knew about it. Turns out it is a fracture...

I feel like the coaches do a great job getting to know our girls, and figuring out if they have a 'sensitive' child who will cry over nothing serious, as well as recognizing those girls like mine who will keep vaulting on a fractured bone.

So let's see:
*She fell in the pit - which is for falling in
*The coach did not see it
*Coach checked her out
*She seemed fine and acted fine, went back to working out

Why would this be reported to you?

So let's see:
*She fell in the pit - which is for falling in
*The coach did not see it
*Coach checked her out
*She seemed fine and acted fine, went back to working out

Why would this be reported to you?

Because is it was her neck that she hurt, this was reported to the coach by dd. Yes the coach did quickly check her over, yes she did go back to "working out" as you call it when she probably should not have done as dd told me she was feeling pain when she carried on (she should have reported this to the coach straight away). I expect rightly or wrongly to be informed if dd gets a head, back or neck injury, just a quick word saying briefly what happened is enough incase I need to seek medical advise.

Dd is still having pain today (this happened Thursday). I am going to take her to the emergency room today as it has been 4 days.

On a more serious note, I would always use the intuition you have as a mother. If you are worried, you take her to get it checked out. No matter where/how it happened or what a coach/anyone here may think.

I don't think blame comes into it. Our kids spend long hours taking more risk than the average person.

Thank you. Problem is that they will ask questions at the hospital and I can't answer them as I wasn't told anything (except what dd told me), I don't place any blame on the coach as she didn't see it happen and can only go by what dd told her.

Even if she had seen it, the info you have would be the same.

Personally, if I was worried about my own daughter, I would have taken her straight away.

Reactions: sce
Are some of you saying that a neck injury that needed time out was not necessary to let the parents know?, regardless if I had taken dd to the emergency room today or Friday my concern would be the same regarding communication, I wasn't worried on Friday as I put it down to soreness caused by the fall the night before, now it has been 4 days and pain is still the same then is is time to look at it further so that is what I am doing .

Maybe next time dd has an accident then I don't need to know unless it is a break or something severe like that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back