Roundoff back handspring help?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

missgymgirl

I have my standing back handspring, but I desperately need help with my roundoff back handspring, because I need it to move to Level 4. I only need a slight spot, but I can't seem to connect it.

I have my standing back handspring, but I desperately need help with my roundoff back handspring, because I need it to move to Level 4. I only need a slight spot, but I can't seem to connect it.

Why don't you practice doing a roundoff and then immediately fall backwards landing in a tight dished position on your back on mats. This might help to get used to connecting the round-off to something. Once you can do this well, why don't you do a round-off, then pause and do a back handspring. Over time, try and get the pause to be shorter and shorter and eventually you might be able to join it. Make sure you do it with support first & I would reccomend doing it on mats until you are completely confident performing the complete skill.

Hope this gives you a few ideas :)

What helped me get is was completely emptying my mind and just running and throwing it. Not thinking of what could go wrong, or what to try and do correctly, just letting my body to do it. (And trust me it knows!)

If that it too scary, try this. Get a cheese mat, and put some boxes right on the high end so you kind of have a little part to hurdle DOWN the cheese mat. (You should be able to take at least one step on the boxes before reaching the cheese mat) Step, hurdle, and round off DOWN the cheese mat and jump straight to your back on a crash mat. You'll see the momentum practically throws you and all you have to do is control your body. Do that a couple times and then go for a bhs. The speed and momentum will make it 10x easier just DON'T hesitate. It'll be harder to stop than to go because of the momentum. Take a deep breath, clear your mind, focus, and go for it.

GOOD LUCK!!!

P.S if you have your standing bhs step-out and those are easier for you try doing the same drill but with a step-out at first to take some pressure off. I find step-outs easier xP

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back