WAG Score Recording?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

At a recent large invitational that shall remain nameless, I paid $5 for a slick saddle-stitched full program that had all gymnasts and all rotation schedules for every session. I turned to the page that had the rotation schedule for our session, and the entirety of flight B was missing! Which, of course, was the flight that our gym was in. I immediately marched back up to the admissions desk and (politely) complained. It took them a looooooong time, but they finally got replacement rotation schedules printed. Crazy .... I paid $5 for something that didn't even have the information in it that I wanted to get.
Lol, we went to a meet once... my brother paid $2 for a program... it had the "theme" on the front (not evident anywhere in the gym), the schedule that our coach had given us in advance with report times, etc., and a list of sponsors. That was it - no age group breakdown, no list of athletes, no judges names (these are things that are standard in our programs).

Every qualifier meet in our province (not invitationals) has scores logged on an app called "beyond the scores". Some invitational meets use it too. You can look up any kid from any meet, any year since they've started up (last year) - it'll tell you where they placed overall or on a specific event, what their score was, what each judge scored them, etc.

More data than even this data junkie requires. And no crazily writing down required. But god help the meet director who doesn't have free WIFI available at the meet and/or poor service in their gym - parents are so used to having all of the information at their fingertips they get nasty. I tell you this from experience:oops:

AND all scores are flashed electronically on monitors at every meet.

Who knew Ontario would be the height of technology!!!:p

More and more of the men's meets seem to be doing Meetscoresonline, which is the same thing. Real time updating during the meet, as long as you can get wifi or some kind of internet connection. I prefer to be surprised at awards, but some of my son's teammates' parents watch throughout the meet and let me know where he is occasionally. They had it in Vegas, and we realized that the boys were almost certainly going to win first place team because going into the last rotation, the team with which they were neck and neck had vault, while our guys had high bar (in some boys' compulsory levels, the max vault score is a point and a half lower than the max high bar score).

Yeah, Cbifoja, we were all saying, "Really? Really? This town doesn't have a Kinko's?" Grrr.

More and more of the men's meets seem to be doing Meetscoresonline, which is the same thing.

We used that for the first time at our last home meet (women's). It integrated easily with ProScore and worked flawlessly. If a meet is using that then I don't need to write scores down. But then I'm faced with a new dilemma: what do I do to occupy my brain and keep the nerves at bay?

We used that for the first time at our last home meet (women's). It integrated easily with ProScore and worked flawlessly. If a meet is using that then I don't need to write scores down. But then I'm faced with a new dilemma: what do I do to occupy my brain and keep the nerves at bay?

You could learn to knit. :D

I'm a bit of a data junkie too and will always buy the 20p score sheet at the end of the competition and keep them all in her folder.

DD has obviously inherited it from me as she will dissect the score sheet on the way home. The other names on it are pretty irrelevant she is more interest in 'where did I come on...'.

That's what I love about a score sheet - even if she's had a bad day you can pretty much always find a positive stat to make her feel better.

That's what I love about a score sheet - even if she's had a bad day you can pretty much always find a positive stat to make her feel better.

Totally this. DD had a poor showing on beam at her last meet in Montreal. She was so bummed. But then I showed her the scores, and really, when you compared them out, her routine with THREE!!! (by the third I wasn't even watching any more :oops:) falls was comparable to some girls with none.

So yeah...... score results after the fact can be a huge life saver.

If you see all the scores, you can also tell if a judge is scoring pretty typically, atypically high, or atypically low. We saw both at DS's state meet last weekend -- ridiculously high on vault and ridiculously low on high bar.

Funny story about this :) At states this weekend, parents from another gym were following a couple of other kiddos (my son being one) and trackign scores. I know some of these parents as we have been at meets together for years. I had to move to watch one event, and ended up close to them. When he finished, one parent turned to the other, flabbergasted that my son has scored 2 points higher than hers. Now, i didn't see her son compete, so I had no way of knowing, but they were all just in awe. Then they looked over to see me sitting there.....it was kind of funny :)

That would not have been on hi bar by chance, would it? :D

(Just teasing -- your son's progress on that event this year has been truly inspiring!)

Dd had quite a good year last year at comps but one comp she fell on floor and was just pretty average overall, coming nowhere near the podium. Afterwards, I was walking past parents I didn't recognise and one dad was talking about his daughter's results and said 'well she only finished 6th but she beat (insert my dd's name) so that's the main thing!' obviously I had to stop and introduce myself!

Yup, you have to watch what you say at gym meets. You never know who you are sitting beside! I've giggled when I hear people talking about my kid, not even thinking she's connected with me. And like @Frase notes above, I ALWAYS tell them who I am :D

I always buy the program and of course there is space next to each gymnasts' name where you can write down their score on each event and the AA. I occasionally record some teammates that are in DD's age group just to see where she is among the team. I don't think it's creepy at all! After all the scores will be determining the winner...

As for saying stuff at meets, my friend (fellow teammates' mom) and I are always complimenting the gymnasts--esp when we see really high scores! We were talking about this one little girl in particular and later realized her parents were right next to us!

I tend to cheer for EVERY girl in a meet... especially if our team is waiting and a girl I have seen for years is up. I even recognize a lot of the parents... and some parents from other gyms seek me out for advice and to explain things to them :cool: Even if they don't remember my name, they know WHO I am.

At a recent large invitational that shall remain nameless, I paid $5 for a slick saddle-stitched full program that had all gymnasts and all rotation schedules for every session. I turned to the page that had the rotation schedule for our session, and the entirety of flight B was missing! Which, of course, was the flight that our gym was in. I immediately marched back up to the admissions desk and (politely) complained. It took them a looooooong time, but they finally got replacement rotation schedules printed. Crazy .... I paid $5 for something that didn't even have the information in it that I wanted to get.
I paid for that same program too, and was also in the same flight!!!
I was so irritated and wanted to ask for my $$ back, but ran out of time.:mad:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back