WAG Score Recording?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Some of us are just data junkies too. I know I am. I love numbers and trends. I have every score my daughter has ever received and I have done a bit of data analysis on her scores. It doesn't "mean" anything to me or to her. She enjoys the graphs but we don't sweat any data point. However, I love to manipulate numbers. I go to town with my students' assessment data too. Excel is my bible!

We have a gym dad at our club who remembers every single score of every kid who is close to his daughter's skill level from every meet. I mean seriously "Rainman" like. How this man remembers these scores from YEARS ago is beyond me! When our DDs were on the same team, he could tell us exactly what place we took and our team score from each and every meet....ten of them!

One year at compulsory states the parents on my team were really bored because the meet was taking even longer than usual. They wrote down every single score of every single girl in our level.

At the time I thought it was weird and annoying that they did that especially since I got to see how close to last place I actually was.

But it was nice years later when I was an optional and I found the score sheet and I compared it with the blank score sheet from whatever level states and saw that I was one of a select few who were still competing since that compulsory state meet. Sure those girls were better than me in level 5, but I was one of the few who made it to level 8 and 9.

Some of us are just data junkies too. I know I am. I love numbers and trends. I have every score my daughter has ever received and I have done a bit of data analysis on her scores. It doesn't "mean" anything to me or to her. She enjoys the graphs but we don't sweat any data point. However, I love to manipulate numbers. I go to town with my students' assessment data too. Excel is my bible!

We have a gym dad at our club who remembers every single score of every kid who is close to his daughter's skill level from every meet. I mean seriously "Rainman" like. How this man remembers these scores from YEARS ago is beyond me! When our DDs were on the same team, he could tell us exactly what place we took and our team score from each and every meet....ten of them!
Kind of sounds like me, but I now have too many girls to remember off the top of my head all their scores. I DO have them saved on my computer. I play with the numbers and things like that an determine who should move up and who should repeat levels. HC figures all of this out on her own, but I go strictly based on the facts - did they get the AA score needed, did they get the event scores needed, do they have 75% of the skills for the next level, do they come to practice regularly, do they put forth the effort needed to gain any missing skills? I have a whole "thing" on Excel that I plug the information into and it gives me an answer.
Once I have given HC a chance to figure out what she is thinking, I send her my thoughts. We are on the same page 90% of the time... and the other 10%, I err on the side on NOT moving up.
I started doing this AFTER HC asked my opinion one year about 3 gymnasts she was on the fence about. We discussed it, based just on the numbers, and 2 of the 3 repeated with much success. The 3rd moved up and also had some success.

I was just reading an article today about how "eidetic" (photographic) memory can make people go crazy, or at the very least be miserable. They were saying our nervous system is designed to forget unimportant details, that forgetting makes the mind work more efficiently. interesting stuff.

To the op....our team is small. The girls have competed together for years...and the parents have shared hotel rooms plane rides etc....I wouldn't presume that I know the whole story of each girl.... but know enough to appreciate each girls big and little achievements. I love that when dd cried over her fear of bhsbhs on beam another parent knows and let us know the story of their older girl (now college gym d1) doing the same thing. On our team we really care how each kid does....that's why we follow our teams scores....

Hope that's not creepy

I understand how you think its creepy. If I did it, someone who is not entertained by numbers then it would be unusual. Personally, I am much more likely to remember the cute girl in pig tails who was so excited by her routine that she jumped into her coaches arms after her routine or the silly little one who forgot half her routine so she made it up. In a higher level meet I would remember the silly handshake that the preteens did between rotations or how they cheered everyone of their teammates along the way.

this is my daughter's first year in gymnastics so obviously, her first year competing. going into the first meet, i had no idea parents even wrote down scores. afterwards, another mom came up to me and start rattling off all this information about how her two daughters and mine were the top three in the gym and my daughter had tied for first place with hers, etc. etc.. then, at every meet after that she still comes up afterwards and has to always compare her two girls with mine.

mine has had higher aa at all 4 meets so far and even so, this mom is very fun about it, but she alqasy says things like "we still can't beat *******". she's very complimentary, but it is kinda weird that she makes it so obvious that her goal is for one her girls to beat mine! it would have never occurred to me to compare my daughter to the others in her team like that- especially since they are in different age groups.

but, i guess as long as it is done in a healthy, fun way- among only the adults that's ok? i dunno? i don't want to encourage that kind of comparison among the girls. or do i?

this makes me think of a question for you experienced gym moms: is it only natural that at some point there is going to be some strong competitiveness among girls on the same team? (my daughter is 8, so she is still really just having fun, know what i mean?)

this is my daughter's first year in gymnastics so obviously, her first year competing. going into the first meet, i had no idea parents even wrote down scores. afterwards, another mom came up to me and start rattling off all this information about how her two daughters and mine were the top three in the gym and my daughter had tied for first place with hers, etc. etc.. then, at every meet after that she still comes up afterwards and has to always compare her two girls with mine.

mine has had higher aa at all 4 meets so far and even so, this mom is very fun about it, but she alqasy says things like "we still can't beat *******". she's very complimentary, but it is kinda weird that she makes it so obvious that her goal is for one her girls to beat mine! it would have never occurred to me to compare my daughter to the others in her team like that- especially since they are in different age groups.

but, i guess as long as it is done in a healthy, fun way- among only the adults that's ok? i dunno? i don't want to encourage that kind of comparison among the girls. or do i?

this makes me think of a question for you experienced gym moms: is it only natural that at some point there is going to be some strong competitiveness among girls on the same team? (my daughter is 8, so she is still really just having fun, know what i mean?)
My older gymmie is Xcel Gold and ever since she started competing, she has had a "Mortal Enemy" in her age group. The first 2 years, it was somebody on another team... then it was a teammate.... now, it is a teammate (who just beat my gymmie out for 2nd place at Championships - by 0.075... gymmie had come up to me before awards to see if they were in the same age group or if the other girl turning 13 put her in the senior group).
Now, to put "Mortal Enemy" into context... they play together at the gym, they stretch together, work out together, cheer for each other, are genuinely happy when the other gets a new skill or sticks a routine, but my gymmie wants to beat her all the same. She still plays with the old mortal enemies from other teams and cheers them on during competition too. :) It's so VICIOUS :rolleyes:

My mom records my team's scores because:
1: I ask her to.
2: She like to root for everyone.
3: The coaches don't have time to.

My teammates and I like to look at the scores during awards to see where we stand. I don't find it creepy at all.

When my dd was in compulsories, I always bought the program and they always had the section where you can record the scores. I always recorded our whole team, because they were our team! I put every single sheet in a sheet protector and then put them in order in a gymnastics binder that my dd got at her very first meet as a meet gift. It's fun to look back and see the scores then, and to reminisce. It's also fun to look at the names on the other teams listed and see who is still competing 9 years later, etc.

I stopped when she was in optionals because a) The score sheets now cost waaaaaayyyy too much, and after spending $15-$20 just to get in to the meet to watch after paying upwards of $90 for my dd just to participate in the meet, I'm not spending another penny.
and b) most meets are live scoring now, so I can keep up with the entire meet on my phone with the touch of a button.
And to be honest, (come on moms and dads, you know its true) we keep the scores to see if our child is going to win, place, or show. And to compare to the other girls on her team and in her age group. Cause that's our nature, even if we try to deny it. We're just human, after all. :)

I've never seen any score sheets/programs that you have to buy, except at our travel meet this year. I guess it's just not a thing around here, which is fine by me, because I agree, this sport is expensive enough!! Although, GAgymmom, I'd be absolutely thrilled if it *only* cost $90 to enter a meet!! :confused:

I've never seen any score sheets/programs that you have to buy, except at our travel meet this year. I guess it's just not a thing around here, which is fine by me, because I agree, this sport is expensive enough!! Although, GAgymmom, I'd be absolutely thrilled if it *only* cost $90 to enter a meet!! :confused:

$90 is the low end. Programs usually cost $5 up to $10 for large invitationals. No way, I'm barely able to get in the meet. If my dd is the last session, I sometimes wait until halfway through when they are no longer collecting admission before I go in. Sounds bad, but I seriously sometimes don't have the money to get in. I always thought that gymnasts should each get 1 pass for a parent to get in for free, since I AM THE ONE WHO PAYS TO PUT HER IN THE MEET! When your gym doesn't have a booster club, all the costs and fundraising is on you.

$90 is the low end. Programs usually cost $5 up to $10 for large invitationals.

At a recent large invitational that shall remain nameless, I paid $5 for a slick saddle-stitched full program that had all gymnasts and all rotation schedules for every session. I turned to the page that had the rotation schedule for our session, and the entirety of flight B was missing! Which, of course, was the flight that our gym was in. I immediately marched back up to the admissions desk and (politely) complained. It took them a looooooong time, but they finally got replacement rotation schedules printed. Crazy .... I paid $5 for something that didn't even have the information in it that I wanted to get.

Oh, I can do better than that, Wnl. Our state meet ran out of programs in the last session on the second day of a three-day meet. Our team had paid to get a half-page ad in there that no one ever saw.

Hmm...lots of different view points here. I originally had the same viewpoint of the OP but I can see now why some keeps scores as something to do during the meet. Our team is large and I have seen some of the moms try to keep all of the scores and also then see them get stressed out because of it. :) I actually had to ask someone to stop keeping my dd score because I was uncomfortable. Before everyone gets mad at me, this is the background why I don't like this kind of thing...The mom was only keeping my dd score in addition to her dd and the only reason was to see if her dd was beating my dd. I don't like it because the girls are best friends and it just seemed like it made them uncomfortable.
I am also a little bit paranoid about this subject because my dd has had the highest aa on team for most of the meets from the past two years. So it kind of feels like she is a target sometimes. :)

does it help to say we get a free programme with admission, and the most I have paid for admission is £ 10 (About $16) :rolleyes:

My mom saved all of my gym meet papers, including my team's scores that she kept, and I loved looking through those as an adult. I now do that for my daughter, as a memento for her to look at later. Plus, I agree with the commenters above...it helps to congratulate other team girls correctly.

Oh, I can do better than that, Wnl. Our state meet ran out of programs in the last session on the second day of a three-day meet. Our team had paid to get a half-page ad in there that no one ever saw.
Unacceptable. We ran out of programs on day 1 of 2 day meet and worked our tails off to get and pay for a rush print job.

Every qualifier meet in our province (not invitationals) has scores logged on an app called "beyond the scores". Some invitational meets use it too. You can look up any kid from any meet, any year since they've started up (last year) - it'll tell you where they placed overall or on a specific event, what their score was, what each judge scored them, etc.

More data than even this data junkie requires. And no crazily writing down required. But god help the meet director who doesn't have free WIFI available at the meet and/or poor service in their gym - parents are so used to having all of the information at their fingertips they get nasty. I tell you this from experience:oops:

AND all scores are flashed electronically on monitors at every meet.

Who knew Ontario would be the height of technology!!!:p

My mom saved all of my gym meet papers, including my team's scores that she kept, and I loved looking through those as an adult. I now do that for my daughter, as a memento for her to look at later. Plus, I agree with the commenters above...it helps to congratulate other team girls correctly.

I have recently started grabbing and saving the on-line meet and team results for DDs meets. When I can I save them as PDF files. I was able to go back one or two years for some of the meets. So someday I could put together a booklet like you mentioned. Although I'm sure there are some meets in that collection she would rather forget. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back