Second acro/flight in Level 8 Beam Routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My coach has all of us level 8's do two acro skills in our beam routine (usually bhs and ro) and has us put one in a series. I've been told that there is a small deduction if your only have acro/flight in the backwards direction and not in the front/side way. Is this true? If I only had a back handspring or a roundoff in my beam routine would I get docked points? I've noticed that in most meets a girl will do a bhs in their series and a round off dismount, but is this done to fulfill this requirement or just for the convenient dismount?

On a related note, if it is true, would front walkover fulfill the requirement for forward moving acro or would i have to upgrade that to a front handspring?

Thanks in advance!

the only deduction i have heard of in the genre. is you have to have a forward or side skill in your routine, otherwise it is a .050 deduction. it has to be on the beam in other words a front tuck dismount would not fufill this requirment to my knowledege.

cant offer an input on the acro part though

on a side not girls in level 7 were doing hs forward roll to achieve the requirment listed above, and lots got more than .050 deduction suring it or fell. i thought it was odd because if you couldnt do it perfect every time why risk falling instead of taking the deduction.

all the facts listed above were from my coach and could be wrong. i am not a judge, so i can not give you definete info.

http://www.usa-gymnastics.org/docs/Women/Rules/J.O.%20Code%20of%20Points/2009-13cheatsheetappndix12-2009.pdf

I asked a similar question recently around here and was pointed to this on the USA GYmnastics website. This is the judges cheat sheet and it shows a composition deduction of .1 or .05 for missing a backward or a forward/sideward acro element.

I'm not sure it is worth it like the other poster said to add an element which could potentially cost more in execution errors to save .1 in composition.

A L8 girl on our team won regionals on beam without a forward or sideward acro element - maybe it is a discretionary not required deduction?!

Good luck, we are in the same boat!

If you only do an acro in one direction it is a flat .1 composition deduction, which is not discretionary it must be taken. If you do a BHS in the routine and then do a front tuck dismount, the deduction is only .05.

The deduction isn't for B acro, it is for any acro. So, any BWD & FWD/SIDE acro fulfill.

This is one of those deductions that I think people make a really big deal about, but in reality the majority if girls taking this deduction are taking a .05 deduction and doing the skills they do really well. As a coach I don't worry too much about this deduction and as a judge I take it when it happens, but it is such a small deduction it doesn't keep the best routine from winning.

If you only do an acro in one direction it is a flat .1 composition deduction, which is not discretionary it must be taken. If you do a BHS in the routine and then do a front tuck dismount, the deduction is only .05.

The deduction isn't for B acro, it is for any acro. So, any BWD & FWD/SIDE acro fulfill.

This is one of those deductions that I think people make a really big deal about, but in reality the majority if girls taking this deduction are taking a .05 deduction and doing the skills they do really well. As a coach I don't worry too much about this deduction and as a judge I take it when it happens, but it is such a small deduction it doesn't keep the best routine from winning.

hey that .05 deduction can mean the difference from being the state champion to being 2nd.

^^^ LOL. but would you rather risk putting another skill into fufill that requirement and falling on it and then you wouldnt even place. ;)

Okay thank you! I'm not learning the front walkover to fulfill the small requirement, I've had it on the high beam pretty cleanly. I just was curious if it would fulfill the requirement.

Optionals United: Very true! At states the difference can be down to .025!

If you have some acro element that moves forward/sideways on the beam, and another that moves backward, no deduction. If your dismount is the only forward/sideways or backward element you lost .05. If you are totally missing a forward/sideways and backward element, you lose 0.1.

So if you have a back handspring series, and a front walkover, no deduction.
If you only have back acro elements, you can always add a cartwheel in to your routine to fulfill that forward/sideways element.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back