Parents Seriously considering Xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm so sorry you're having a tough time! It's so hard to see our kids struggle..you've gotten some really good advice here and it's nice that you have time on your side. Since you wouldn't make a change for a couple months anyway, there's nothing wrong so doing some on the down low research. A gym change is a huge decision, and I think vibe of the gym in general, the way things are run, how you feel about the coaches, as well as location/cost ect, should be more of the deciding factors than her struggling short term.
everyone has a different path
This is probably the most true and important thing in gymnastics in my opinion! It really is all about the individual child and what's best for them and their family. And what @Gymnastmama said about girls moving up faster than they should and competing poorly leading to confidence issues is spot on too. (I thought I quoted that, but clearly messed it up lol) This is why we recently moved to USAIGC. Puma Jr is feeling so much better about herself competing only things she's solid at and uptraining the rest in practice. Just because one "has" a skill (not HAS a skill) does not mean they should compete it. Lesson...learned...:confused:. So nothing wrong with repeating L3 while learning L4! Good luck to you! Keep us posted...

Not sure what advice to give you about the gym itself; but re Xcel, the girls who switched at our gym love it. They get to have their own songs and routines so a little more fun than the Compulsory levels. Still practicing most of the same skills but I do think it takes some of the pressure off if they're having a hard time with 1 or 2 skills. But at least they're still enjoying gymnastics, getting experience competing, and can switch back to JO if something changes down the line?

My only add to this, and it may be obvious: if you're considering a longer drive for lower costs, remember the costs associated with the wear and tear on your car, gas, etc. they aren't inconsiderable. :) (14mi X 4 = 56mi for a day of gym if you drop & run and don't have carpool).

Good luck deciding, I know it isn't easy. Sadly, it's such an expensive sport.

If your gym is the one I think it is, there is another very good gym literally less than a couple of miles away. Well known for a strong compulsory program. Also much less expensive. Has good optional program as well. Cute leotard. Your gymmie would definitely repeat Level 3 at the other gym.

Good luck with your decision :)

Wow a 34 to qualify for state in L3 is really high!!! In our state you only need a 30. Your daughter is doing really well at her age getting a 33.475!

Our state requirement is 35.5 for level 3. And that has to be scored at Sectionals, not just at any meet during the season.

Thanks everyone for all your input and suggestions!!!
I'm definitely going to start looking at other gyms before we consider xcel. I realize JO is expensive and will just go up with each level...but I am serious when I say our current gym is drastically more expensive than others in the area. Just to put things into perspective, I was looking at pricing for a new gym yesterday, and their tuition for Level 10 is LESS than what I would be paying for L4 at our current gym....it's THAT much of a difference.
I'm starting the quest to discreetly look at other gym options for now, we shall see what happens!

Our state requirement is 35.5 for level 3. And that has to be scored at Sectionals, not just at any meet during the season.
Our area doesn't even have sectionals. Our Qualifying score has to be made at any USAG sanctioned meet (which all of ours always are) it's crazy to see how different it works in different states!

Level 10 is LESS than what I would be paying for L4 at our current gym..

That is huge! May I ask why you chose such an expensive gym in the first place? Was it a matter of not knowing any differently? If money is a serious issue then that is serious incentive to look around asap.

I'm surprised you've been able to find the team tuitions for other gyms. That's been a problem for me as most places I've looked at (for our move) don't list either team practice schedules or tuition.

That is huge! May I ask why you chose such an expensive gym in the first place? Was it a matter of not knowing any differently? If money is a serious issue then that is serious incentive to look around asap.

I'm surprised you've been able to find the team tuitions for other gyms. That's been a problem for me as most places I've looked at (for our move) don't list either team practice schedules or tuition.
I initially picked this gym when DD wanted to start rec, I googled and it was the closest one to our house...I saw on their website that they had a very successful line of producing great gymnasts so I thought "well this place can't be bad!" So that's where we went, and we've been there ever since.
DD got pulled from beginner right to preteam because the coach saw her potential (that coach is now her team coach), and at the time I figured it wouldn't be best to move at that point because I wanted her to stay with the coach who had so much faith in my kid.
Now that I know there are other great gyms near us at fractions of the price, a change is what is best for our family at this point.

There was one gym I found that listed the tuition and schedule online and I'm totally floored, the difference in price is bigger than I could have ever imagined.

Not always. The most expensive gym my dd attended (by over $125 a month) had the least skilled and least effective coaches. The girls team program was a low priority and it showed. But the tuition was steep.
Yes there are exceptions to most things.

If your gym is the one I think it is, there is another very good gym literally less than a couple of miles away. Well known for a strong compulsory program. Also much less expensive. Has good optional program as well. Cute leotard. Your gymmie would definitely repeat Level 3 at the other gym.

Good luck with your decision :)
Lol yep, 1.4 miles to be exact. I'm lucky to live where I do, I have many great choices within s very small radius. I know many people at our gym who come from MILES and even STATES away, so I can't complain about an extra 10 minutes of travel time...looking at the big picture it's so not a huge deal at all.

Now I know where you too! And I am very jealous... you have SO many great options in your area. Much more limited selection in my part of town!

The qualifying score for l3 is not high (at least in MD it isn't) and allows most gymnasts in l3 the option to compete in states. I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm being honest in saying that the scores needed to move up a level should be the state qualifying score at least in compulsory. Now, as far as coaching... they should NOT be taking any anger or aggression out on children that do not make that score. To me, this is a warning sign that the gym may not be the best fit... there is nothing wrong with repeating a level. There is also nothing wrong with trying excel and staying there or moving to JO in the future. The gym we are considering switching to has a minimum AA score of 36 to advance levels in compulsory. More than half of their team will repeat l3 next year or move to excel. There is nothing wrong with that and a child should not feel inferior for that. In the Jo world it is expected children will skip levels or repeat levels. It is what it is and I've never heard of a gym treating young gymnasts horribly for their performance. Especially at l3

We have switched gyms twice and my girls (I've had 3 on the team for several years) have done JO and xcel. We started at the gym closest to my house, just like you did, and moved when my oldest daughter needed a different program.

There is nothing wrong with repeating L3 or not making state your first year. Xcel is a great fit for some girls. All gyms treat it differently as many have said. It has been great for two of my girls and one has made it through JO slowly to L8. Each gym we have been at has served different needs at different times.
I don't think your daughter "needs" to leave JO at this point, but her current gym's JO program may not be the best fit for her. Having said that there is nothing wrong with xcel, if that's the path she wants to go. It sure is a lot more interesting to watch! :)
What she doesn't need is a program that's making her feel bad, or one that's breaking your bank. Gymnastics is not life but it can be a great part of life done correctly. Good luck!

So I have started emailing/filling out online inquiries about tryouts at other gyms. I received a reply from one today with the next steps to take. This particular one was sent via online inquiries and they specifically noted that providing my name wasn't required (which I liked because they obviously understand the confidentiality) but in their email reply among other things they said if they do invite DD for s tryout, I have to notify my current program that we are doing a tryout. I seriously don't want to have to do that until we are invited to join and accept somewhere else... Is that weird? or normal policy for them to request?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back