Parents Seriously considering Xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hmmm... I don't have a ton of experience, but my DD tried out for team at two different gyms when we were looking to move from Xcel to JO. I was definitely not required to notify old gym before trying out at either gym. In fact, I did an entire week-long trial at our current gym without ever notifying old gym that we were even looking elsewhere (although coming up with an excuse for a week long absence was a bit tricky). Like you, I would have been concerned about giving notice before receiving a team invite from somewhere else.

When my YDD switched gyms (t&t) the coach, after the trial, told us that if we moved forward he would call the old gym and let them know himself about the switch. We've never had a gym require disclosure just to try out, but I can understand it if there's been some contention in the past.

That sounds tricky. I'd probably skip that one until you are sure you are leaving your current gym if you don't want them to know. Although, at any tryout they will probably ask what gym you are from, and it's a small gymnastics world, so news may travel, so be prepared.

When we switched gyms, new gym required us to tell old gym about the trial. They also said that they confirm with old gym that you have paid in full before they accept you.

They explained that North Texas is a small gymnastics world, and these are the operating rules all local gym owners follow with gym moves. Everyone wants everything above board and transparent.

Now whether customers really tell their gyms about the trial is a whole other story.

So I have started emailing/filling out online inquiries about tryouts at other gyms. I received a reply from one today with the next steps to take. This particular one was sent via online inquiries and they specifically noted that providing my name wasn't required (which I liked because they obviously understand the confidentiality) but in their email reply among other things they said if they do invite DD for s tryout, I have to notify my current program that we are doing a tryout. I seriously don't want to have to do that until we are invited to join and accept somewhere else... Is that weird? or normal policy for them to request?
Well, it is a good sign. It is professional, and shows good communication, respect for other gyms/coaches, and avoids a sense of "stealing" someone else's gymnast. The coaches tend to be friends and there are some unwritten rules of common courtesy, or "operating rules," as @Texasmomof3 said. But that doesn't make it any easier to deal with logistically. I wonder if you could explain your predicament (you won't be the first) and ask if there is any way for them to give you a best guess on your dd based on her scores or if you could send a video...taken on your home gym equipment of course (just kidding, just kidding, just kidding!!!)

Well, it is a good sign. It is professional, and shows good communication, respect for other gyms/coaches, and avoids a sense of "stealing" someone else's gymnast. The coaches tend to be friends and there are some unwritten rules of common courtesy, or "operating rules," as @Texasmomof3 said. But that doesn't make it any easier to deal with logistically. I wonder if you could explain your predicament (you won't be the first) and ask if there is any way for them to give you a best guess on your dd based on her scores or if you could send a video...taken on your home gym equipment of course (just kidding, just kidding, just kidding!!!)
They did ask for videos and scores prior to setting anything up. So what you're saying is the home made beam I made out of 2x4s and yarn should do the trick? :)

I think I know what gym you're from too...(not who your DD is, just the gym..I think) as I'm from the same state (YDD is a Level 3). And maybe I'm out of line for asking....but after Level 3 State this weekend, I was SHOCKED that your DD's gym didn't rank in the top 10 for overall combined team! Not even in the top 20!! I couldn't believe it. Obviously their optionals are outstanding....so I'm not questioning coaching ability. But has there not been as much focus on their compulsories?? Usually they are a powerhouse gym and steal the podium, so seeing those results was shocking to me. Even YDD's coaches mentioned how they were shocked they ranked so low as they usually don't.

In this case, this is what i would suggest:
Explain to your gym that JO there is not financially possible going forward. Tell them that you need to look into less expensive alternatives and ask if they have any suggestions for gyms that are quality programs, but less expensive.
Be sure to tell them how difficult this decision is because your DD loves it there and loves gymnastics, but that it would probably come down to moving gyms or quitting completely and you would value their opinion about where to try.

I think I know what gym you're from too...(not who your DD is, just the gym..I think) as I'm from the same state (YDD is a Level 3). And maybe I'm out of line for asking....but after Level 3 State this weekend, I was SHOCKED that your DD's gym didn't rank in the top 10 for overall combined team! Not even in the top 20!! I couldn't believe it. Obviously their optionals are outstanding....so I'm not questioning coaching ability. But has there not been as much focus on their compulsories?? Usually they are a powerhouse gym and steal the podium, so seeing those results was shocking to me. Even YDD's coaches mentioned how they were shocked they ranked so low as they usually don't.
You're not out of line at all :) and you're not wrong....our optionals usually sweep all over the place, and L3 has done ok this year at other meets, usually placing in the top 3 for team scores. There is focus on compulsories; it's just a different type of focus I guess. Our gyms overall goal is to produce collegiate and elite gymnasts, not level 3 state champions. While there is a lot of pressure on everyone in every level making state, in compusories it's not looked at making it into a huge deal to WIN state.
Are the scores posted somewhere? I'm interested to see them and haven't been able to find them anywhere yet.

Lol, well now I'm a 100% sure I'm in the same state as you both, as we just had level 3 states this weekend. But I don't know anything about what gyms are powerhouses really so I couldn't begin to guess which is the OP's!

In this case, this is what i would suggest:
Explain to your gym that JO there is not financially possible going forward. Tell them that you need to look into less expensive alternatives and ask if they have any suggestions for gyms that are quality programs, but less expensive.
Be sure to tell them how difficult this decision is because your DD loves it there and loves gymnastics, but that it would probably come down to moving gyms or quitting completely and you would value their opinion about where to try.
This is a very very good idea, and it's what I was thinking of too.
Lol, well now I'm a 100% sure I'm in the same state as you both, as we just had level 3 states this weekend. But I don't know anything about what gyms are powerhouses really so I couldn't begin to guess which is the OP's!
ok fine I'll just tell you, it's Shaggy Joe's Gym Barn. Secrets out.

I'm not surprised at our placement at state. 1/2 of our girls didn't even qualify for state until the last meet. I'm proud of them all for making it and ALL our girls worked so hard this year! Our highest scorer unfortunately didn't do so well on beam otherwise, she would have been in the top 3 for AA (she's also one of the youngest, and she's amazing!). Our coaches have noted that at L3 the biggest focus is just getting through the level, then L4 is where they really focus on their technique since there are so many more skills that are the basis of skills in higher levels. There are more repeats in L4 and L5. Many gyms skip L5, but ours usually skips 6. We don't skip L5 because it's a difficult level and they feel it's more important to master in order to prep them for optional skating. I'm just so disappointed that it's really obvious to me now that favorites are picked. I don't want to make my daughter an elite gymnast, and I'm not trying to make her the best at her level, I do however think that all the gymnasts at any gym should be given the same level of attention and coaching that all other gymnasts at the gym do. In my case it's blatantly obvious that this didn't happen.
I'm proud of the gymnsasts that our gym produces, and their dedication is easily measured, but in my DDs case, if she's ever going to get the attention she deserves, we have to make a switch, and there are plenty other gyms in the area that can give that to her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back