splitting levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just curious what others think of this situation...

My dd starts summer training next week. She has completed a season at L3 and all the L3 girls that haven't gone to L4 yet are training in an advanced L3 group this summer. There is also a group of new L3 girls. L3 advanced will train 6 hours and new L3 will train 4 hours. It is my understanding that the advanced L3 group was training to get L4 skills so they could possibly move up in August. I know my dd could very well have to repeat L3.

Coach sent fall training schedule yesterday and there will be an advanced L3 training group for the fall (6 hours) and a regular L3 (5 hours). I'm just wondering how that will go over since all girls will compete L3 next season? It doesn't seem like it would create a friendly team environment. Any thoughts? I guess I'm just surprised that the advanced L3 group would exist in the fall as I thought it would just be a summer training group.

It is very normal to have different squads of the same level with different hours. It just depends on the gym...the year...the gymnasts they have that year...the coaching staff. What they are called and how many hours they go will not matter to the gymnasts...it will matter to the parents.

Last edited:
Our gym had a non-competitive level 3 team last year, and there were two groups - one that went 4 hours a week, and one that went 6.5 hours a week. The extra hours were mostly strength and conditioning, but they also did more uptraining L4 and L5 skills during that extra time. The group started out invite-only, for the girls who were "advanced" 3s (on the cusp of 4). Gradually, more girls joined. The head coach told me he was getting pressure from parents who thought it was unfair for some of the girls to get the extra training.

I really don't think it would be an issue at all. The parents of the new level 3's will be well aware that their girls are in their first season of level 3's while the other girls have done level 3 before. They won't expect their child to be doing the same training as the girls who have done a season of level 3.

Where I live most gyms have two level 3 squads and novice and a competitive squad. The novice squads train 6 hours a week so they are eligible to compete in the novice section in competitions (have to be training 6 hrs or less in level 3 to be eligible) and a competitive group who train usually 9-10 hours a week and do the open section in level 3 competitions. Its not based on who has done what, the coaches chose the best kids and put them in the top squad and nobody complains.

I think it's better that way, actually. A new L3 does not have the same needs and issues as a second year L3. An advanced L3 is better off not being held back by girls only now trying to learn a skill rather than perfect it. If a gym has the coaches and the time slots available, they should split up the team in any way that they feel they can best achieve their goals for that team. Some gyms split by age, as teaching young kids can be different from teaching older kids; some split it based on ability/advancement. Don't worry about it, especially for L3.

Isn't level 3 preteam of some sort? It's WAY too early in your daughter's gymnastics career to worry about hours and the politics of it all...a lot of these kids won't even make it to L 4 anyway...

I wasn't worried about it. My dd is in the advanced group already and if she wasn't it wouldn't be a big deal.

I just thought it was odd to split the level so early (I've only seen this at higher levels). I just figured some of the new L3 moms might want their child in the advanced group. Maybe they should call it L3 second year or something?

Really don't worry about the Level, what they call it or what drama other families might have with this. Your DD will be exactly where the coaches feel she should be with the skills she has no matter what they call it. Also just because they have an advanced level 3 on the Fall Schedule NOW doesn't mean it will still be there in the fall. All the girls may just get the skills they need to move up. You never know what will happen over the summer. I've seen some really amazing skills achieved over the summer.

My DD just got her RO BHS Layout Full into the Pit 2 days ago. She tells me next week they will move her to the floor 100% to get the landing on the floor. That was quick as she only started the twisting full time a week ago.

If you let yourself get wrapped up into the politics of gymnastics you are going to drive yourself crazy! If another parent asks you about why they are split up this way just say hmmmm.. i don't know. It has worked for me!! Ingnorance is bliss...in this case!

Like others have said, the only people who will question it will be the parents of the L3 group with less hours. If they say anything to you, just tell them to talk to the coaches - they're the ones who did it!

Is there anyone else concerned that there are enough kids repeating Level 3 to have their own group? We are not big on competing at Level 2 or 4 where I am from, so maybe that is why I am shocked???? Maybe I am confused about what is happening but why cant these kids compete Level 4??

and boy oh boy, those coaches will (hopefully) learn fast that it would have been WAY easier to just schedule each group w the same hours and save themselves the time of dealing with all the parents who are in the 5 hour group! LOL

and boy oh boy, those coaches will (hopefully) learn fast that it would have been WAY easier to just schedule each group w the same hours and save themselves the time of dealing with all the parents who are in the 5 hour group! LOL

But doing what's easier doesn't always get the best gymnastics. Actually it usually never does!

All of our levels are "split" in our gym. We start 2 different L3 groups per year, once in Jan or so and again in June. They don't complete, so basically it's L4-prep. Anyway, thus, they are separate. Then, our girls "try out" for L4 the following December, and are again placed by "ability", so to speak. In many cases, the same 3's stay together as 4's, though there are exceptions (and while most do, not all of our 3's make it to L4). As in, my DD completed 6 months of mighty mites, then was asked up to L3 this past Jan. It would be "expected" that she and most of her group would likely be in the "advanced" L4 group, unless we have a lot of "repeaters" next year (especially as the brand-new L3's starting later this month had no mighty mites, etc - they're fresh out of rec).

In any event, the groups are all color-coded and then listed alphabetically by level (ie, Level 3 pink, Level 3 purple, Level 4 green, etc.). Each and every group has it's own color (my DD is in "pink" much to her approval!). Each year it's somewhat randomized, though I hear the little 3's usually get pink and purple :). So, there's a little less animosity between those who are "advanced", and "aren't". Though, of course it's usually easy to figure out - if your DD is on the team with "repeaters", it's likely they're a bit ahead.

But, I agree that it makes sense to split them, as they're at different skill levels. Good luck and I hope that it works well for the kiddos!

This is really common.

Pickle is in a 5/6 group with new 6s and new 5s. This summer she will w/o 14 hours. There's another 5/6 group (where everyone is either a new 6 or a repeating 5 and all the girls are a little older) that will work out 16 hours. And a group of new 5s that will work out 12. Each group has different coaches and different needs so the workouts are tailored to that.

I think it's best to trust your gym on this unless they have given you reason not to trust them.

Oh, I trust the gym. I'm not trying to complain or anything. I don't have a problem with it at all. Just curious. I can't speak for the other girls so I don't know why they aren't ready for L4. My dd does not have her ro bhs yet which I guess is the deciding factor? I really don't know. I try not to question what skills she is working on because dd struggles with anxiety so she has enough on her plate.

My dd had 11 girls on her L3 team last season and she was the youngest at 6 (she's 7 now). Only 2 have moved to L4 and 3 have been added (one girl just last week so I don't know if she will join the advanced group). I guess most of the L2's moved up to L3 for the summer. Our gym compete L3 outside of the gym (3 meets). I don't know if dd is close to getting her ro bhs or not but I certainly don't want to put pressure on her. If she moves to L4, great! If not, that's okay too. We now also have a team for each level 1-10 and a pre-team. I still don't know what the difference is between pre-team and L1?

But doing what's easier doesn't always get the best gymnastics. Actually it usually never does!
Well, thats true, but why is there difference of an hour? If its level 3-they should train a certain amount of hours. Preplanning and organization with a structured plan DOES make for the best gymnastics. Have a nice day!

My DD was level 7 this past season but trained the hours of L8 because they were planning on her moving up so that extra time was spent on preparing for L8 skills for this coming season. Because of that she has alot of them already and is now working on the harder moves (or should I say the ones that give her mental blocks).

I would say it is probably the same here. the shorter hours for those who will be L3 and the longer hours for those that are trying to move up and have that extra time to just work the L4 skills. I don't think its uncommon as I have seen that at a few gyms around me.

Well, thats true, but why is there difference of an hour? If its level 3-they should train a certain amount of hours. Preplanning and organization with a structured plan DOES make for the best gymnastics. Have a nice day!

But different kids are going different places. Certain kids on team will max out at level 6 some day. Why rush them with more hours and always pushing them for skills. Other gymnasts you know have the potential to be level 10s. If you are not training them differently you are doing each of these types of kids a disservice.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back