splitting levels?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

But different kids are going different places. Certain kids on team will max out at level 6 some day. Why rush them with more hours and always pushing them for skills. Other gymnasts you know have the potential to be level 10s. If you are not training them differently you are doing each of these types of kids a disservice.

I would be very unhappy if someone judged my dd as a pre-team or level 3 gymnast and determined what her maximum potential ability was at that time. Every kid needs to be given an equal opportunity and if they can't make it then so be it, but to take someone and deem them of lesser potential and then give them fewer hours or opportunities is of course going to produce a lower level gymnast.

I would be very unhappy if someone judged my dd as a pre-team or level 3 gymnast and determined what her maximum potential ability was at that time. Every kid needs to be given an equal opportunity and if they can't make it then so be it, but to take someone and deem them of lesser potential and then give them fewer hours or opportunities is of course going to produce a lower level gymnast.

I think the situation at issue is perceived depending on which side of the team your DD is in; lesser hours, lesser potential; more hours, more potential. I don't think this is the case at all. In my humble opinion, what the gym could be doing and/or is hopefylly doing is providing each gymnast with the most appropriate schedule. It would be an injustice to keep the second year L3 from progressing and to keep them practicing all same skills for another full year. Just as it may not serve the new L3 any good to try to keep up with the advanced L3. Lastly, If the coaches are willing to "complicate' their schedule by dividing the L3s, then it would seem to follow that a new L3 showing promise and ability to be moved up, would be moved up. In addition, could the extra hour be the time the advanced L3 learn the new skills? At our gym, our coaches individualize move ups, and uptrain depending on the individual gymnast. I think it is a good thing to see these variations in schedule. It shows the coaches don't just generalize.

4theloveofsports - I wasn't really replying to the OP, I was replying to the statement that some kids were going to max out at level 6, so why rush them. I just feel that is too early to track a gymnast without giving her a fair shot at reaching her true maximum potential - not the potential a coach saw in a kid who is possibly just an immature 6 or 7 year who could shine by the time she is 8 or 9.

Coaches (good coaches) will take into account current maturity, an experienced coach would not hold that against a kids PHYSICAL talent for future success. It's the same for school, remember? There are AP classes because not every student has the same desires, potential or goals. Not all of us can be a rocket scientist, lol, so schools take those genius kids and fast track them to prepare for whatever. And just because they are separating these gymnasts, doesn't mean the kids can't change groups up OR down depending on if they show that's where they fit or don't fit.

I don't know what my dd's potential is with gymnastics. Not a clue! I really just want her to love it and I will support her for as long as she wants to be on team even if it includes repeating levels.

Honestly before the fall schedule was sent I was wondering about dd practicing 6 hours a week this summer and then going back to 4 hours as an L3 if she has to repeat. So keeping the advanced group for the fall will serve my dd well as she will still go 6 hours in the fall and get to work on harder stuff. L4 also trains 6 hours with an optional 3 hours if they want to add it. The added an hour to the L3 schedule for the fall.

At our gym the Level 4 As train 30 minutes less each day than the Level 4 Bs - that's because generally speaking the Level 4 As are the younger ones and our gym has found that they do better if they train for no more than 2.5 hours at a time, whereas the Bs tend to train for 3 hours. This is just one other reason why the total hours may end up being different for each group. It may not be the case for the OP, but the point is that gyms set the training hours based on several things, and we may not always know or understand them.

If I were you I wouldn't worry AT ALL! Don't worry about the Level, or what they call it.. If your coach feels your daughter has all of her skills and is ready to move up she will. Don't get caught up in all the drama.. Trust me its not fun.. But if another parent asks why they are split up, or anything related to it just say "I don't really know.".. Also don't worry about practice time.

At my gym every level is split (Besides level 1 and 2). So for L3 they have L3 Pre Team and just regular L3 sometimes they even do L3 Advanced.. It happens with L4 and so on..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back