SPOILER ALERT!...Women's Team Qualification

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

China's bar top work is amazing!

Chusovitina on vault...hand front 1.5...nice...such power!

Can someone explain to the not so bright camp here? So only Gabby and Raisman can compete for AA? What about event finals? Is that the top in each event? The top 2 from each country?

And team finals? What is that? Is it the top specific number of teams competing - doing this all over? Do the scores from this morning get added?

Sorry for stupid questions, but this is kind of confusing!

Only 2 per country allowed, so Aly and Gabby edged Jordyn out. Top 8 per event for event finals. Scores do not carry over from today.

Top 8 teams go to team finals.

He Kexin...15.966...bars

EDIT: Deng Linlin nice bars...14.166

Last edited:
Also top 8 teams advance to team finals. Still crossing my fingers for Canada, but they are ahead of AUS which is unusual.

Their transitions from low to high are always a let down for me.

It really breaks up the routine...but I don't know how much you can do about it when you're that little.
Chuso is rocking vault.
I got worried when Vika started bobbling on beam but she hit that dismount. Afan is bringing it, also.
Vika and Aliya seem really close. Awwww.

Komova...beam...15.266

For those of you who were too young to watch the Olympics in Atlanta you should know that this situation has happened before. I fully expect that Jordyn will cheer on her teammates and give them her full support. That's not what happened though back then:

In the 1992 Olympic all-around final in Barcelona, Tatiana Gutsu (competing as part of the Unified team) beat out Shannon Miller (USA) by .012, the smallest margin of victory ever. Gutsu's win caused much debate because many felt that Miller had performed better that day. While Gutsu had stumbled forward on her opening tumbling pass of her floor routine, Miller had had a virtually error-free competition.

To further spark the controversy, Gutsu had not technically qualified to the all-around competition. In preliminaries, she had fallen on her beam mount and failed to advance to the all-around finals because she was not one of the top three on the Unified team. Her coaches, knowing she had the potential to win gold, pulled Gutsu's teammate Roza Galieva from the all-around competition and put Gutsu in. Though this was not against the rules, it increased the indignation among those who felt Miller was the rightful winner of the 1992 all-around final.

1. United States -- 181.863
2. Russia -- 180.429
3. China -- 176.637
4. Great Britain -- 170.656
5. Italy -- 168.397
6. Canada -- 167.696
7. Germany -- 167.331
8. Australia -- 166.721

Romania and Japan still to compete!

Question about event finals, is there a 2 person per country rule? For example, if our girls have the top 5 of 8 vault scores, do they all get to compete at vault? or just the top 2, which would be Gabby and MaKayla

Question about event finals, is there a 2 person per country rule? For example, if our girls have the top 5 of 8 vault scores, do they all get to compete at vault? or just the top 2, which would be Gabby and MaKayla

IIRC, I think that the gymnasts who competed 2 different vaults at qualifying are the ones who are competing in the event finals. MacKayla is the only US gymnast who did this so she will be the only one competing in the vault finals.

I can't believe Aly made it, I grimace every time I watch her bars, she has some ugly flexed feet going on. I can't believe a coach of an elite gymnast has never fixed that :-0

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back